MapTool 1.3 Development Build 57

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

jay
RPTools Team

Re: MapTool 1.3 Development Build 57

Post by jay »

Phergus wrote:
jay wrote:
Azhrei wrote:Any stack backtrace for that, Jay?
Nope, looks like MT swallowed it somewhere.
Should be in the log file in your .maptool directory.
I'll take a look. That file had a lot of different exceptions in it so I'm not sure which ones I expected and which ones I didn't. I'll try to recreate it.

Pyroman
Cave Troll

Post by Pyroman »

I used this (as the GM) build last night with Rumble's 4E framework, which I have modified heavily. We encountered no problems that were not previously there, other than some serious lag (memory usage), though I believe that is due to my modifications and not MapTools.

The only problem is one that has been there for the last several builds and I am convinced that it is not MapTools, but instead Java related. The problem is that I usually have to restart MapTools multiple times and create a server each time before people can join the server. It is a private IP address game that is created. It may be related to UPnP, though I do not encounter any UPnP problems with any other application.

Thanlis
Giant

Post by Thanlis »

Played a largish campaign file using b57 and Veggiesama's 4e framework last night. No problems at all.
Reed (halfling sorcerer P3) // Collin (human fighter P2) // Cine (eladrin psion H2)
Sirath (deva shaman H1) // Alesk (dragonborn cleric H3) // Kevin (halfling barbarian H1)

Mrugnak
Dragon

Post by Mrugnak »

Played in a session last night, pretty modest (no macros or anything, small map) but I uploaded several objects as a player successfully. No issues to speak of, except that our Linux player couldn't get in due to what is apparently a known issue with the warning popup.

Ironically enough.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Ran a game last night on Linux and had to problems with b57. My machine did lockup once but I think it was a skype issue not a maptool issue. I had a larger number of tokens used inside my SW framework and everything seemed to run OK.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Played a game last night and this was what I experienced:

1. The GM deleted a token in InitPanel (a dead creature) and MT spit out 20, maybe more, exceptions. We thought it was endless amounts of them so we simply opened another GM session and connected to his 'crashed' session. We were able to continue gaming. We did find out later however that the exceptions will eventually stop when you get to so many. I spoke with Trevor and I sent him the errors log - he is on it.

2. I was rotating my token via Control-Shift-Mouse Wheel and then 'cleared facing' - got another exception error. Spoke with Trevor and passed it along to him.

3. One of my players hides the initpanel. When he hovers over it, it pops out as expected, however, sometimes it would open up much further than where he originally sized it. It seemed like it had a mind of its own at times. I am not sure if this is something new to b57 or not. I dock mine opened all the time and had no problems.

4. I noticed that I as a player, was able to edit my initiative in InitPanel. So I mentioned it at the table and we started entering our own. Players would edit their own initiative and then they would quickly resort back. My guess is that it is because they were all editing at the same time? Nonetheless, it was a bit annoying. I just noticed this feature though in B57 so I am not sure if it existed in previous versions.

Overall though, it was a great night! Not a single asset transfer issue. I was a bit worried when the GM deleted the token from InitPanel but we were able to get around it so it was no big game stopper. I really like the new 2nd line InitPanel view. That rocks!
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

As always a good bug report, dorpond. :)
dorpond wrote:3. One of my players hides the initpanel. When he hovers over it, it pops out as expected, however, sometimes it would open up much further than where he originally sized it. It seemed like it had a mind of its own at times. I am not sure if this is something new to b57 or not. I dock mine opened all the time and had no problems.
I've not noticed this myself and I do sometimes use the autohide feature. Although during a combat encounter I usually turn off the autohide because as GM I really need to see everything in that panel all the time...

IIRC, the init panel doesn't actually calculate its own width properly. I remember looking into this myself because I wasn't receiving a horizontal scrollbar when the text went too far to the right. However, I haven't looked at that code since Jay did a bunch of updates for b57...
4. I noticed that I as a player, was able to edit my initiative in InitPanel. So I mentioned it at the table and we started entering our own. Players would edit their own initiative and then they would quickly resort back. My guess is that it is because they were all editing at the same time? Nonetheless, it was a bit annoying. I just noticed this feature though in B57 so I am not sure if it existed in previous versions.
Editing the init value in the panel is very convenient, but as you found out there are no concurrency controls in MapTool. This is the exact same issue as when multiple people are updating a token at the same time; only one set of changes is saved and it depends on which computer transmits the data to other computers last. (The last one to transmit is the one that will overwrite the others.)

The workaround is to use the macro commands to change your init. This isn't perfect since the macros also have no concurrency control, but at least the window of opportunity for it to be screwed up is smaller. ;)

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Azhrei wrote:As always a good bug report, dorpond. :)
dorpond wrote:3. One of my players hides the initpanel. When he hovers over it, it pops out as expected, however, sometimes it would open up much further than where he originally sized it. It seemed like it had a mind of its own at times. I am not sure if this is something new to b57 or not. I dock mine opened all the time and had no problems.
I've not noticed this myself and I do sometimes use the autohide feature. Although during a combat encounter I usually turn off the autohide because as GM I really need to see everything in that panel all the time...

IIRC, the init panel doesn't actually calculate its own width properly. I remember looking into this myself because I wasn't receiving a horizontal scrollbar when the text went too far to the right. However, I haven't looked at that code since Jay did a bunch of updates for b57...
The docking framework controls all of that sizing. Autohide appears to ignore other docked windows when it opens a hidden window. However, I'm not sure why you wouldn't get a horizontal scroll bar. When I tested this I was able to get one. Do you have a specific test for this?

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

It appeared completely random last night, Jay. My friend would say "hey it's happening?" and by the time I walked over there, it was working right. I did see it in action once though but we were knee deep into battle and I didn't want to disrupt the game for the other players.

I will try to reproduce it with a dummy campaign.
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Thanks for the update and testing, guys. I'll get the other patches I have applied, fix some more bugs, remove the warning dialog, and get b58 some time around the beginning of next week
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I would like to also thank those who have been messing around and playing with b57. If we are to get closer to 1.3 final, we need to be using and testing the latest builds so that we can make it all shiny. :)

It will be so much fun to move onto bigger and better things. Can't wait! :)

IMarvinTPA
Dragon

Post by IMarvinTPA »

I must admit to testing out the even ones more than the odd build numbers. The cutting edge followers will find the big bugs quickly enough. I'll follow in a week or so after a build has proven to work well enough to try to find other ways to break it.

IMarv

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

Played a 3+ hours session last night. Heavy DnD 4E framework, heavy map with lits of tiles and tokens, numerous light sources and complex vbl. No problem to report, ar least related to b57, except french translation ones but I'll report it to thé bugs subforum.
On the docking subject, while connected alone to the server, mt was reduced in the task bar and almost all panels were hidden or "pined", i had a Java error message concerning a wrong calculated width of a frame. I'll look for the log as soon as possible.
ImageImageImageImage

Thargor
Kobold

Post by Thargor »

Try the following:
Start maptools, drag a token on the map, open the token, add [test] (with brackets) in the HP field, close token, put mouse over token. Here, maptools freeze.

I don't know if this is new in Build 57.

Jshock
Dragon

Post by Jshock »

Thargor wrote:Try the following:
Start maptools, drag a token on the map, open the token, add [test] (with brackets) in the HP field, close token, put mouse over token. Here, maptools freeze.

I don't know if this is new in Build 57.
I got pretty much what you'd expect - it asks for the value of "test" over and over. Are you getting something different?

Return to “Announcements”