MapTool 1.2 Development Release Build 2

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

MapTool 1.2 Development Release Build 2

Post by trevor »

Mostly minor tweaks, but things you guys have been asking for that should improve your MT experience a bit.

We're still having stability issues with Flexdock, but I'm working closely with the Flexdock developer to work out some of the issues. Be sure to tell us any weirdness you have, even if it's been mentioned before.

Build 2 (1/7/2007)
* Possible bug fix for keyboard movement weirdness
* Moving background tiles with keyboard commits the move on each step
* Topology mask overlay is now semi-translucent
* Stamps can now have vision (for wall torches etc)
* Make rectangle topology tool more exact
* SHIFT while resizing a stamp maintains aspect ratio
* Remove drop target from Zone Selection Panel (no longer creates maps by dropping images onto minimap area)
* Put code in to attempt docking layout persistence
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

I apologize if this has been asked before, but will you be adding drawing tools for the LOS tool? I was trying to set up a really cool ambush encounter in a forest and it would have been cool to have a circular and freehand tool in the LOS to mark out the large trees and foliage.

I'm loving the implementation BTW. I know it's early in development so I'm going to wait to spring it on my group until it is running faster, but it's definitely going to change our gaming experience greatly!!

Absoluetly fantastic job!! :D
"Neither hexes nor squares can confine me!"

James Anthony
"It's all in your head....."
http://www.spelz.net

trevor

Post by trevor »

Glad you are finding it useful ! I enjoyed/enjoy writing it :)

It was briefly discussed why the circle and freehand tool are not supported. For comparison the rectangle tool creates 4 points, the freehand tool makes a point for nearly every pixel in the line. A decent sized freehand line may have 50-60 points. More points mean more calculations. The los stuff is really rough approximations anyway.

When the current implementation is a little further ironed out I will take a look at approximating the freehand tool by smoothing out the line.

Phergus
Deity

Re: MapTool 1.2 Development Release Build 2

Post by Phergus »

trevor wrote:* Moving background tiles with keyboard commits the move on each step
Much nicer.
trevor wrote:* Topology mask overlay is now semi-translucent
Could stand to be a bit more translucent. Maybe 50%.
trevor wrote:* Stamps can now have vision (for wall torches etc)
Ack! That torch is watching me!
trevor wrote:* Make rectangle topology tool more exact
Works much better.
trevor wrote:* SHIFT while resizing a stamp maintains aspect ratio
This is nice.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Awesome, glad it's doing better

storyguide3
Kobold

Can't se vision radius

Post by storyguide3 »

I just started the new build, dropped in a map and a token, added a vision to the token and...nothing. I had tried the previous build and could see the vision area, but now I see nothing. Am I doing something g wrong?
Brad Johnston
Almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

It appears there is a small bug as a result of fixing a previous bug.

The token has to be set Visible to the players for the vision to be visible to the GM.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Phergus wrote: The token has to be set Visible to the players for the vision to be visible to the GM.
Oops, you are correct. Fixed for build 3.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Re: MapTool 1.2 Development Release Build 2

Post by dorpond »

Phergus wrote:
trevor wrote:* Stamps can now have vision (for wall torches etc)
Ack! That torch is watching me!
Personally, I think this is very confusing.

Realistically speaking,
"Light" is light.
"Vision" is how we interpret that light.

I get very confused in this first rendition of 1.2 because it is kinda backwards. Currently in Maptool, we state things have vision and that is represented by a circle. We really shouldn't see a circle of vision at all (unless it is darkvision); we should see the existing light sources on the screen modified or interpretted by the vision and those light sources should visually change. Now, since our vision interprets the light sources on the screen, that area of the screen should remove the FOG. So in essence, the modified light sourced modified by vision is what removes FOG.

Let me explain:
Let's start by throwing 3 lanterns in a town square. They are there on lamp posts. Light is just light - simple.

Now, to a human approaching the town square, he interprets that light as Xbright/Xshadowy. To an Elf approaching the town square, he would interpret that same light as 2Xbright/2Xshadowy. It is interpretted totally different depending on who is interpretting the light (by their vision). The Elf would see the lights much larger and remove much larger FOG - the human would only reveal a small area of the town square. The light didn't remove FOG, the vision didn't remove FOG, it was the efforts of the two that removed the FOG.

Yeah, we are in the beginning phase - I know ;)

trevor

Post by trevor »

The important thing to keep in mind is that for now, and the near future, they are just shapes. You can apply any meaning to them that you want. And that's fine.

Some day we might introduce "this is a light" and "this is how each token sees that light", but for now, it's just a tool to help you know what the los is from a particular point.

Return to “Announcements”