MapTool 1.2 Development Release Build 3

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

MapTool 1.2 Development Release Build 3

Post by trevor »

This build has some important changes, including a new docking framework and the introduction of textured paint. Here are the goods:

I've put together a quick screencast:

http://rptools.net/screencast/texturedPaint.uvf
http://rptools.net/screencast/texturedPaint.zip (contains an exe wrapper around the above file)

*MIRRORS*
http://hdrpg.com/dmtools/texturedPaint.zip

Build 3 (1/13/2007)
* Fix bug: GM can't see vision on non visible tokens
* Replace docking library with JIDE docking framework
* Textured paint introduction (in-development feature)
* Fix bug: when using "Expose Visible Area" don't expose vision that is disabled
* Fix bug: when using "Expose Visible Area" expose all vision areas associated with a token
* Add "Restore layout" to Help menu
* Don't erase the command line when hitting down arrow when you are at the bottom of the history
* Potential fix for chat slowness when history gets too long
* Increase max grid size to 350
* Render object stamps under vision shapes

NOTES:
- Bug: occasionally the CPU spins out of control when starting up and you have to kill the process. Weird, I'm trying to get it to happen while I'm in debug mode
- Bug: the about dialog is empty. My bad. It'll be back for build 4
- NOTE: the textured paint is very, very new, expect to find bugs, when you do, post them in this thread
Last edited by trevor on Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Kepli
Giant

Post by Kepli »

Just watched the texture paint movie ... very nice Trevor :D
That will make it very easy to quickly create a decent looking battlemaps, even while in a game :)

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

I agree! Very nice! Once you add some effects, look out!

I'm mirroring the Zip here:

http://hdrpg.com/dmtools/texturedPaint.zip

Will be ready in about 5 mins.
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks for the mirror !

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Bravo Trevor! Bravo!

Works much better than the last version - I couldn't even get the last version to run without crashing.

I have to say, I am very excited about this new stuff. I played with it and it works very well indeed! I especially like how I can take all the windows and stack them up into one window! That ROCKS!

OK, now for the testing results:

1. Need better push buttons in color dialog - I can't tell if they are pushed or not. All they do is lighten and darken - we need to work on push in - push out buttons. We will talk :)

2. Not intuitive enough - If I didn't see the demo, I would have no clue how to do texture fills. Even after watching the demo, I was still poking around at it half clueless. It would be great if we can make it so it is super obvious for the new user and I really feel that a new user wouldn't even know that this was possible unless told so.

3. Adjusting line width - is it gone now? I wanted to draw a freehand line but have it a texture. I thought setting the line width to the thickness of a wall would make drawing really easy.

4. Make a method to where we can state that the light blocking layer will automatically be on the texture layer while we are drawing them. This way when we are drawing a bunch of walls during game, they will automatically have the "blue" light blocking layer on them - makes for quicker map preperation on the spot. We won't have to draw the walls out twice.

5. Expose visible path - Can you implement that sooner than later? I think I am really close to using this during game and that as we all know is the ultimate testing environment :)

Great stuff Trevor! Super exciting!

Edit: Drop shadow would really make those textured walls look real *wink* *wink*

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Very cool! :D

Found the texture painting to be very easy to use and I didn't watch the demo till after I had tried it.

New docking interface seems to be working fine.

trevor

Post by trevor »

dorpond wrote: 2. Not intuitive enough - If I didn't see the demo, I would have no clue how to do texture fills. Even after watching the demo, I was still poking around at it half clueless. It would be great if we can make it so it is super obvious for the new user and I really feel that a new user wouldn't even know that this was possible unless told so.
I'm open to suggestions :)

I found myself several times wanting to click the texture in the Image Explorer and have it automatically selected for the paint. One Idea I had was to make it so that if you are in the drawing tools the Image Explorer will change the mouse events such that left clicking sets the outline color and the right click sets the fill color. Which will work great when you know it, but seems even less intuitive to new users (since it changes the behavior of the panel)

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Making Image Explorer modal would be a bad thing IMO.

Perhaps you could just add a new window to the mix that was a texture palette. The could have the left-click/right-click behavior you described.

Don't know if it is really enough different from the Image Explorer method to justify it.

Once the textures are remembered from session to session in the Color/Texture dialog most operations would likely use previously chosen textures I reckon.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Yeah, if I could somehow keep the paint chooser up without cluttering the window, that would be ideal.

dLANbandit
Dragon

Post by dLANbandit »

dorpond wrote: 4. Make a method to where we can state that the light blocking layer will automatically be on the texture layer while we are drawing them. This way when we are drawing a bunch of walls during game, they will automatically have the "blue" light blocking layer on them - makes for quicker map preperation on the spot. We won't have to draw the walls out twice.
That would be great.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Another future suggestion:

OK, let's say I download a wooden floor texture that is designed for a 200X200 pixel map. Now, I want to use that cool floor texture in my 40 grid map setting in Maptool but when I do, the planks are way too large for the 40 grid setting I am using and the floor looks way to large and out of perspective to the rest of the map and the players (Width of one floor plank is larger much than a player).

We have two options:
1. resize all of our artwork to fit the Maptool setting we are currently using. This option is very time consuming, requires 3rd party software and is going to happen often, especially if we use different grid settings all the time.
2. allow us to resize the texture in Maptool before we draw it onto the map. Not sure what the interface would be like but this almost has to be done since so many textures are not standard (or they are standard for mapping apps - not VT apps)

Any thoughts?

Maybe we can have some kind of slider bar or maybe even a % field that we can adjust in the color/texture window? *shrug*

dorpond
RPTools Team

*BUG ALERT*

Post by dorpond »

*BUG* *BUG* *BUG*

Drat, I closed my Image Explorer window and the others (by clicking the X) and I cannot get them back anymore. I even restarted Maptool and they are still gone!

LOL

Think you could come out with an emergency release so I can get those important windows back? :P

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

OK, if this happens to anyone else, go to Help -> Restore Layout.

That will bring them all back.

:)

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Issue: When I draw a texture, the size it is when I am drawing it isn't the same when I finalize it by clicking the button. It resizes it - most of the time smaller than the way it looks before I finalize it.

This make precise drawing with textures very difficult especially if the textures we are using are square floor tiles and such.
Last edited by dorpond on Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Clear all Drawings = OUCH

My whole map made of textures vanished in front of my eyes!

While I do like the idea of an option to Clear all Textures, I definately think they should be seperate.

Return to “Announcements”