MapTool 1.3 Development Build 60

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

FdL
Giant

Re: MapTool 1.3 Development Build 60

Post by FdL »

dorpond wrote:
FdL wrote: It usually runs smooth enough, but at some point I got some unusual jerkyness and slowdown, it lost responsiveness and I couldn't shake it no matter what I did.
Did you check the performance monitor while it was slow and jerky? Next time, check that out and copy/paste a few entries where the numbers are high.
Oh, I didn't know that existed. I'll keep an eye on it in the future.
Funny you mention Win7; I played last night also and was floored how well Win7 worked compared to my Vista. I even pinged Trevor and told him how great it was performing.
Yeah, it's a pleasure to use actually ^^
Was your campaign heavy with VBL, lighting, macros, etc? Is the campaign file large and coud it have been autosaving?
Well, not full-framework heavy. My stuff is pretty modest, really. And the file is not that big. Under 20 mbs IIRC. Also, autosaving is probably not what happened, since it happened right after I reloaded it after rebooting too.

kristof65
Dragon

Post by kristof65 »

age000 wrote:The other player had some odd behavior in Ventrillo at the same time (appearing as multiple instances), but nothing serious.
I don't have any definite proof as to what happened, but I had some weirdness with my Ventrilo and MT connections last session that prompted me to write this post:
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11954
Might be worth looking into...

cubeblue
Cave Troll

Post by cubeblue »

I ran another game last night with b60 (b61 didn't appear to have anything in it that would affect our game good or bad) and we had a guy with a bad connection (same guy). I'm wondering if something changed between b59 and b60 that causes MapTool to treat bad connections differently? We've been playing with the same guy and his same poor quality connection for months but we're only now seeing specific things in b60. Essentially, it used to be that he would lag and not see events until seconds to minutes later, or we would have to wait as long to see his movement or chat messages. Now it seems like everyone's connection locks up when this guy's gets slow. I can't boot him from the Connections window either. Only thing that works is closing MapTool entirely and having everyone else reconnect (I don't know that everyone else has to close out, but the server definitely does, and the laggy player). We tried just having the laggy player disconnect and reconnect this time, but he had trouble.

It's possible too, of course, that the problem is the same and it's just manifesting differently over time and perhaps lately the connection has been worse for any number of other reasons. I just wanted to report this back just in case it's helpful, especially since others have suggested there may be networking weirdness in this build.
& So Forth a blog about dungeons & dragons & so forth. With a particular eye for virtual table-top play, 5e, and OSR themes.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

OK, I ran a 7 player one-timer last night and one friend accidentally turned off his wireless. He asked me to boot him and I went to the connection window and booted him. I didn't see his name go away off the list. Then I continued on with game but when I moved my token, nobody saw it. Then things started acting goofy; I was not able to move stuff anymore and MT appeared to be in a half state of chaos.

This happened right towards the end of night so users just decided to shut down (we were already 20 minute past our normal end time). Then I noticed that my session suddenly worked again after 5 minutes or so. Nobody else was connected to me at that point.

So this is the deal - I never used to have this type of thing happen to me. I only play face to face so no other network heavy applications were running.

One thing I can say is this: Trevor did do some work on the following this version:
* Reap link dead clients more regularly (client connection list should drop ghost players)
* Make "Boot Connection" a server side action (works on link dead connections)

If I were to guess, I would bet that is the cause of this issue. Trevor and I discussed this and he is thinking of reverting that code to see if it gets better again.
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Thanlis
Giant

Post by Thanlis »

dorpond wrote:OK, I ran a 7 player one-timer last night and one friend accidentally turned off his wireless. He asked me to boot him and I went to the connection window and booted him. I didn't see his name go away off the list. Then I continued on with game but when I moved my token, nobody saw it. Then things started acting goofy; I was not able to move stuff anymore and MT appeared to be in a half state of chaos.
Yeah, that's the symptoms I saw. :) We didn't have it happen again last night with b61, fwiw.
Reed (halfling sorcerer P3) // Collin (human fighter P2) // Cine (eladrin psion H2)
Sirath (deva shaman H1) // Alesk (dragonborn cleric H3) // Kevin (halfling barbarian H1)

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Thanlis wrote:Yeah, that's the symptoms I saw. :) We didn't have it happen again last night with b61, fwiw.
Oh yeah, I probably should have noted that I was not using B61 - I was using B60. Interesting that you worked fine in B61.
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Thanlis
Giant

Post by Thanlis »

dorpond wrote:
Thanlis wrote:Yeah, that's the symptoms I saw. :) We didn't have it happen again last night with b61, fwiw.
Oh yeah, I probably should have noted that I was not using B61 - I was using B60. Interesting that you worked fine in B61.
Yeah. The sample size is very low, though -- one session in each.
Reed (halfling sorcerer P3) // Collin (human fighter P2) // Cine (eladrin psion H2)
Sirath (deva shaman H1) // Alesk (dragonborn cleric H3) // Kevin (halfling barbarian H1)

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Sounds like the boot code I put in is bad. I'll just pull it for b62.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I created a new thread fo the networking issues. For those having the problems, please discuss it here:

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12440

Return to “Announcements”