MapTool 1.3 Development Build 60

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

Paradox
Dragon

Re: MapTool 1.3 Development Build 60

Post by Paradox »

I'll be running b60 for 3- 4 hours Monday night and will report in...
I no longer believe that MapTools is usuable or intended just for programmers. MapTools is for everyone.

Aasgaardsreiden
Kobold

Post by Aasgaardsreiden »

Fine Gents and Ladies,

I noticed that with build 59 (and unfortunately in build 60 as well) that movement measurement is incorrect when you are not using Snap to Grid. In build 56, if you started to move a token which was not set as Snap to Grid, the movement counter started at 0.0 and increased by 0.1 increments. Now, in build 60 with a Medium sized token (not set to Snap to Grid) the movement counter starts at 1.4 (oddly enough). The good news is that it still increases by 0.1 increments.

Fine, Diminutive, and Tiny all start at 0.7.
Small starts at 1.0.
Medium starts at 1.4.
Large starts at 2.8.
Huge starts at 3.2.
Gargantuan starts at 5.7.
Colossal starts at 8.5.

Is anyone else experiencing this or am I perhaps simply halfway in a dreamlike state, put there by aliens who abhor the idea of starting at 0 and prefer to mess with the fragile state of the human mind (or at least the fragile state of mine)?

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Aasgaardsreiden wrote: Is anyone else experiencing this or am I perhaps simply halfway in a dreamlike state, put there by aliens who abhor the idea of starting at 0 and prefer to mess with the fragile state of the human mind (or at least the fragile state of mine)?
This is known. I have shown Trevor this odd behavior the last time he and I connected up. Thanks for the reminder.
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

barinax
Giant

Post by barinax »

Hmm, seems like I am in the minority here. I will try again and hope that I was just having problems w/ my connection or PC.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

barinax wrote:Hmm, seems like I am in the minority here. I will try again and hope that I was just having problems w/ my connection or PC.
If you want, host up a session and I'll be happy to connect up and see what happens. Even if I am unavailable, I am sure there are many here who can do the same.

Good luck!
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

neofax wrote:except for the initiative overwrite (known bug)
Is this when a bunch of people are rolling initiative at once and it seems to lose people? Just curious.

barinax
Giant

Post by barinax »

Hawke wrote:
Is this when a bunch of people are rolling initiative at once and it seems to lose people? Just curious.
No, when this happened initiative had already been rolled and we were doing various combat things. It may be tied to my new targeting macros, if anything.

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

Hawke wrote:
Yes, but oddly enough, some times without the DM doing anything the Init for Token A would show 12 and then drop Token B's init would appear and then Token A's would re-appear. I have yet to have this happen while I am DM, but it has happened at least twice I remember and verified the DM did nothing as I was about to manually add/set my initiative (Token A).
Time-Zone information UTC -5

LaserWolf
Dragon

Post by LaserWolf »

barinax wrote: Well, I had to end my session early due to the clients getting stealth disconnected from the server. Essentially, at some point, any actions run on any maptool screen (either player or DM) would not propagate to the rest of the connected PCs at all, but everyone still shows as connected in the connection window. I had to kill the java process and restart the server and have everyone reconnect to get things going again.
I experienced this same issue barinax! XP SP3, Java 6.15. There was absolutely nothing significant about what was happening in the game AFAIK - we were well in the middle of combat.

Actually, now that I think about it, here's what happened:

One player got disconnected due to his router issues. I can confirm this because he was simultaneously disconnected from Skype. Shortly after that the other players told me (via Skype) that they weren't getting any updates either. I noticed the Send/Receive panel was running constantly green. Maybe it was blasting packets at the disconnected player, failing to recognize he was gone?

I was able to save the campaign with no issues, but when attempting to close MT a bunch of errors were thrown (no description - just an empty error box). I clicked through about 30-40 but they kept coming. Eventually I had to kill the application. Restarted MT server and everyone reconnected fine, no issues for the rest of the session.

I forgot to grab the log file, though. :( I really need to be more mindful about that!

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

LaserWolf wrote: I forgot to grab the log file, though. :( I really need to be more mindful about that!
Did you look in the .maptool folder? There is a log file in there that might have something worth our while.

LaserWolf
Dragon

Post by LaserWolf »

And here I thought it gets overwritten. Nothing significant though - I only get this error:

Code: Select all

2009-10-25 15:32:43,890 [client.MapTool:224] ERROR - While closing UPnP port<br>java.io.IOException: Unable to receive a response from the UPNP device
And that's nothing unusual.

barinax
Giant

Post by barinax »

LaserWolf wrote:
barinax wrote: Well, I had to end my session early due to the clients getting stealth disconnected from the server. Essentially, at some point, any actions run on any maptool screen (either player or DM) would not propagate to the rest of the connected PCs at all, but everyone still shows as connected in the connection window. I had to kill the java process and restart the server and have everyone reconnect to get things going again.
I experienced this same issue barinax! XP SP3, Java 6.15. There was absolutely nothing significant about what was happening in the game AFAIK - we were well in the middle of combat.

Actually, now that I think about it, here's what happened:

One player got disconnected due to his router issues. I can confirm this because he was simultaneously disconnected from Skype. Shortly after that the other players told me (via Skype) that they weren't getting any updates either. I noticed the Send/Receive panel was running constantly green. Maybe it was blasting packets at the disconnected player, failing to recognize he was gone?

I was able to save the campaign with no issues, but when attempting to close MT a bunch of errors were thrown (no description - just an empty error box). I clicked through about 30-40 but they kept coming. Eventually I had to kill the application. Restarted MT server and everyone reconnected fine, no issues for the rest of the session.

I forgot to grab the log file, though. :( I really need to be more mindful about that!
Laswerwolf,

This is the exact same thing that happened to me. 1 player had Maptool crash and then all the other players stopped receiving updates. I also could not close Maptool, but could save with no problems. I had to kill the Java process and restart to get the connections up.

Each time a player got disconnected, I had to restart Maptool.

age000
Kobold

Post by age000 »

I haven't used Maptools for a while but some friends and I are trying to get a new campaign going, so last night a few of us gave b60 a try using DeviantNull's framework for 4e. We had the same problems as barinax and LaserWolf. It seemed to get slightly better when we upped the stack size (up to 10M). Things got noticeably better when the host disabled all other programs (anti-virus, spyware scanners, etc).

All I can add is that we were using Ventrilo to chat and most of the time whenever we had a problem with Maptools we had a simultaneous problem with one player in Vent. Vent and Maptools were set to different ports, but beyond that I can't offer much. We plan to test further during the week.

Last time I used Maptools was b20 something and the improvements are amazing. I hope this can get sorted because we are all eager to get going after last night. Thanks for all your hard work on this.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

LaserWolf wrote:

Code: Select all

2009-10-25 15:32:43,890 [client.MapTool:224] ERROR - While closing UPnP port<br>java.io.IOException: Unable to receive a response from the UPNP device
And that's nothing unusual.
Actually that would be unusual. It means that MT can't reach the router that it previously opened the port on with UPnP. I've never seen that with PCs connected via 802.11 or ethernet.

Unless the router is reset after that there is a fair chance that the next attempt to use UPnP to map the port will fail.

LaserWolf
Dragon

Post by LaserWolf »

Phergus wrote: Actually that would be unusual. It means that MT can't reach the router that it previously opened the port on with UPnP. I've never seen that with PCs connected via 802.11 or ethernet.

Unless the router is reset after that there is a fair chance that the next attempt to use UPnP to map the port will fail.
You'd think so given the error, but I haven't had any issues and the error is peppered throughout my log file. This computer is connected via 802.3 (wired) although 802.11 is active as well.

I had been using DD-WRT firmware but that router took a nosedive a few months back. I've stuck with the stock firmware on this router (Netgear WNDR3300) since I haven't yet had any major issues. I've yet to see stock firmware provide a 100% robust UPnP solution, though.

Return to “Announcements”