MapTool 1.3 Development Build 61

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

paulstrait
Dragon

Re: MapTool 1.3 Development Build 61

Post by paulstrait »

We've only had 1 odd connection issue with 61. Basically, one of the players disconnected while he was trying to move his token. His token was frozen mid move, and I couldn't move it or even right click it until he logged back in and finished his move. Once he logged back in, everything was fine.

DrPenguin
Kobold

Post by DrPenguin »

paulstrait wrote:We've only had 1 odd connection issue with 61. Basically, one of the players disconnected while he was trying to move his token. His token was frozen mid move, and I couldn't move it or even right click it until he logged back in and finished his move. Once he logged back in, everything was fine.
I've had this issue as well; I had to restart the server to get everything going again.

Also had a crash out when I was saving which left the savefile unloadable, just reports an error (have a screenshot somewhere) thank gawd for backups.

(Load error is "com.caucho.hessian.io.HessianProtocolException: unknown code for readObject atr 0x50 (P)")
Last edited by DrPenguin on Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Half Man Half Vodka~

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

Azhrei wrote:
LaserWolf wrote:I've had server lockup without attempting a Boot. I can't say whether or not it's an indefinite lockup, but it's at least several minutes. The cause actually seems to be the unanticipated disconnection of a player. Fortunately it sounds like Trevor's on the case.
I've noticed an extreme CPU load when it happens. But when I try to use strace on it (on a Linux box) or ktrace (on OSX) I don't get anything useful. :( I will try using ltrace on the Linux machine instead next time I see it, but I usually run the server on my MacBook.
This used to happen to me a lot mid b50 builds, but it stopped happening so I thought it was gone... Hmm maybe I should read up on dtrace in case I am able to catch it again.

Paradox
Dragon

Post by Paradox »

Mrugnak wrote:We've had people disconnect every week for the past bazillion months. We've been kicking the D/C'd characters liberally as well. We're still on b60. No issues with the server locking up.

This sounds more like wahtever killed the first player eventually took down the entire server, not something to do with booting.

That might be. Except I've never had the Boot Function do anything at all, until Trevor tried to adjust it in b60. Then the Boot Function appeared to knock everybody off. Not once, but three times in one session. And note, one player getting disconnected didn't seem to affect all the other players and the GM (they just couldn't play), but the moment the Boot Command was used by the GM (me), then everybody stopped.

3 times in one session, with Natha reporting the same phenomena.

I'm not trying to be snarky to you or the previous poster who said it was just a coincidence. From your previous and longer experience, maybe all of this is just coincidence.

But it doesn't look that way from this prespective. In any case, I don't have to be correct, I'm cool with being wrong. But I do think it was wise to report the feedback and ask Trevor to take a look.
I no longer believe that MapTools is usuable or intended just for programmers. MapTools is for everyone.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Paradox wrote:That might be. Except I've never had the Boot Function do anything at all, until Trevor tried to adjust it in b60. Then the Boot Function appeared to knock everybody off. Not once, but three times in one session.
I've been staying out of the way of anecdotal evidence until I have a chance to do some serious testing to narrow down the issues. But I've used Trevor's changes to the Boot function about 4-5 times over as many sessions and it's worked great each time. I believe there was one instance where MapTool started acting a little flaky and I ended up restarting it, but I can't pin the blame solely on the Boot feature.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

I noticed an occasional "lock up" during my game this weekend on the server. We were face to face with me running the server and one other player connected who was acting on the other players behalf and projecting onto a wall for everyone to view. I am using Veggiesama's D&D 4E framework, which I assume contributes to the issue. The problems tended to show when I was attacking the players. In those cases, one or more of the players(5 player tokens) would take damage and some of those attacks would cause additions of token states in addition to the damage).

Generally, it seemed as if I would make several quick attacks in a row and the player would begin entering the updates on his computer using a macro to update damage and add states(one macro for damage, another for adding states). The issues seemed to manifest when the player would make several quick macro runs on his computer on multiple tokens in a row in a short time period. I did not check at the time, but my assumption now is that the issue had to do with transfer of each of the updated tokens to the server and then roundtrip back to the client machine was just locking up processor time due to the size of the token objects. Since Veggiesama's framework stores players macros on their token and some of the macros contain a fairly large JSON object, I assume this is the cause of the lockup. During this time, my machine would lock up for 30-60 seconds during which I could do nothing within maptools... then.. the stuff I had tried to do (move the map, select a token, etc) would happen (since the actions were queued up). Of course, this is just anecdotal evidence, but I know Trevor has mentioned the possibility of having incremental token updates in future releases, so this might be one more reason to consider this. Of course, its also possible that the use of javascript in the future would help minimize this since it may also have to do with parsing speed of the json objects.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Paradox
Dragon

Post by Paradox »

Azhrei wrote:
Paradox wrote:That might be. Except I've never had the Boot Function do anything at all, until Trevor tried to adjust it in b60. Then the Boot Function appeared to knock everybody off. Not once, but three times in one session.
I've been staying out of the way of anecdotal evidence until I have a chance to do some serious testing to narrow down the issues. But I've used Trevor's changes to the Boot function about 4-5 times over as many sessions and it's worked great each time. I believe there was one instance where MapTool started acting a little flaky and I ended up restarting it, but I can't pin the blame solely on the Boot feature.
Moderator: Feel free to delete this post in light of heyes' complaint.

Okay here is where I eat crow. I'm man enough to admit it.

I had (4) total lock-ups last night, and never used the Boot function once. Feel free to jeer or throw fruit. :roll:

I'm not computer savy to explain why it happens, other than it does seem to be something new happening. Prior to this we would experience players getting disconnected, but never this complete 'lock-up' that required everyone to restart.

And everyone had to restart. I had a player that just tried to reconnect after the server was back-up, and he could not reconnect until the the client was restarted as well.

Now that we're used to it happening, recovery is faster. Everyone cautiously keeps checking that stuff is showing up in their chat windows. As the GM/Server I find that I am able to save the file from the last action a player made, even though it has locked up. Then we all restart and take it from that point.

So I concede that it was anecdotal evidence in respect to the boot command, but I maintain that something has changed.. or at least I have been really lucky in that I've used MT for a couple months without ever experiencing it before.
Last edited by Paradox on Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
I no longer believe that MapTools is usuable or intended just for programmers. MapTools is for everyone.

heyes
Giant

Post by heyes »

It seems like the "announcements" section has become the new "bug report" section. Since about build 59.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

heyes wrote:It seems like the "announcements" section has become the new "bug report" section. Since about build 59.
I'd say that game-debilitating build relevant bug have been in the announcemtn builds since about when I started coming 'round these parts 2 years ago. Not necessarily saying that's how it should be, just that is how it has been.

Eager for 62!

Moon Knight
Kobold

Post by Moon Knight »

Is anyone else having trouble with images loading in this build? I've tried logging into other servers/LANs, but I've had no luck with any images loading. I can see tokens but nothing else. Any help would be appreciated.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Welcoem to RPTools, Moon Knight!
Moon Knight wrote:Is anyone else having trouble with images loading in this build? I've tried logging into other servers/LANs, but I've had no luck with any images loading. I can see tokens but nothing else. Any help would be appreciated.
Nope, works fine for me and I haven't heard of anyone else having problems.

If you start a thread in the MapTool forum and include some of the particulars (version of Java, version of OS, size of images not loading, red/green status indicators, and so on) I'm sure you'll have a bunch of people chime in with "me too" or "here's how to fix it" posts. :)

DarkWiz58
Cave Troll

Post by DarkWiz58 »

Strange error: pops up on b61 when I first load a campaign after start-up. Subsequent loading of the same campaign (without MT restart) does NOT produce the error. So I suppose something got initialized that isn't initialized when MT first starts up.
-Alex / DarkWiz58

java.lang.NullPointerException
at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.zone.ZoneRenderer.renderTokens(ZoneRenderer.java:2376)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.zone.ZoneRenderer.renderZone(ZoneRenderer.java:753)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.zone.ZoneRenderer.paintComponent(ZoneRenderer.java:601)
at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComponent.paintChildren(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JLayeredPane.paint(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComponent.paintToOffscreen(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.BufferStrategyPaintManager.paint(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paint(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComponent._paintImmediately(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComponent.paintImmediately(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paintDirtyRegions(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paintDirtyRegions(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.RepaintManager.seqPaintDirtyRegions(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.SystemEventQueueUtilities$ComponentWorkRequest.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.swing.MapToolEventQueue.dispatchEvent(MapToolEventQueue.java:24)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

Had a critical failure last night but I am not sure of the cause but here is some anecdotal information.

Java 1.6.0_17 (very recent update)
Windows XP
MapTools 1.3.b61

I loaded the server as usual, but after a fairly short period of play, anyone sending anything to chat or attempting to modify tokens would fail. They would see their chat text in their own local box, but nothing would show for anyone else. It was very much like everyone was running but disconnected from the server without being told. When I tried to shut the host down, I got a beep and a small error dialog window popped up but it was unable to complete drawing so I had to kill the process.

I immediately reloaded and we had the same failure occur within 10 minutes. So then I rebooted the host PC and things worked after that.

One other possibly significant piece of information....

I had a random visitor to the server at the start of the night, and he had a special character in his login name: Vir'il (that might not be exactly it, but the single quote is correct). After the second crash I added a password to the server just in case it was that special character causing issues. I did not crash again after preventing that user from connecting. I have not had a chance to test further to see if a single-quote is an issue or not.

Paradox
Dragon

Post by Paradox »

Lindsay's experience sounds very like mine.

However, I never provided any spec details.
Java: Version 6, Update 16
Maptools: B61

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

Had the same error. For a while there I thought my players had all rudely wandered off. :)

Windows Vista
Drop-In Utilities:
My Spell Manager for D&D3.5 and PFRPG
My Inventory Manager for D&D and PFRPG, but more generally useable than that.
My Message Manager -- My Top-Down D&D Token Images
and my Custom Initiative & Status/Spell-Effect Tracker (work in progress, but functional).

Return to “Announcements”