MapTool 1.2 Development Release Build 5

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Let me ask you this then - its name is almost identical to Exposed Visible Area (all it's missing is the "only")- what if I hit the wrong one during play and it covers up the whole map again - is there a way I can bring it back so that the players don't go into a hissy fit?

Or isn't this really all that big of a deal? I really won't know until I play around with it. I am really just trying to think ahead - possible pit falls ;)

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

dorpond wrote: Or isn't this really all that big of a deal?
Heh, that's what I need you to tell me :) I'm quite open to suggestions. in fact this feature was a direct request from a forum member (not via the forum though)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

dLANbandit
Dragon

Post by dLANbandit »

well I know my DM is highly likely to mix them up the 1st time and get irritated.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

You didn't answer my question though - am I screwed if I hit it by accident? Will it cover all the players previous exposed FOW only to leave me sitting there behind my DM's screen gettin gpelted with half empty pop cans? :)

No, really though - I can't undo it, right?

I'll let the one who requested it chime in on it - maybe it works just as he/she wants it.
Last edited by dorpond on Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trevor

Post by trevor »

dorpond wrote: No, really though - I can't undo it, right?
That's correct. Although, while I'm thinking about it, it probably wouldn't be hard to have a fog history. Hmmmm ....

I'll add in a tracker for that.

galneweinhaw
Dragon

Post by galneweinhaw »

FYI, I found it confusing too, though I think it is a cool tool and wouldn't want it removed =)

Even knowing what each did, I kept click ing the wrong one because their names are so similar.

I think they only need clearer labels

"Add to visible area" and "Currently visible only"

or something like that. The "exposing" part of it is redundant since it's under the "expose" menu.

oh, and have them toggleable would rock too... =D

trevor

Post by trevor »

Toggleable ?

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

trevor wrote:
That's correct. Although, while I'm thinking about it, it probably wouldn't be hard to have a fog history. Hmmmm ....

I am just imagining one of these new 10,000X10,000 maps where the players visited half - around 25 rooms of it over 5 gaming sessions. With one wrong click, I totally erase all that they have visited. Now they have no clue where they have been :shock:

*OUCH*

Big_Mac
Dragon

Post by Big_Mac »

dorpond wrote:
trevor wrote:

I am just imagining one of these new 10,000X10,000 maps where the players visited half - around 25 rooms of it over 5 gaming sessions. With one wrong click, I totally erase all that they have visited. Now they have no clue where they have been :shock:

*OUCH*
Gewhiz I expected the evil grin for that one!
--
Big Mac

galneweinhaw
Dragon

Post by galneweinhaw »

trevor wrote:Toggleable ?
:D
If it's not a word already, it should be!

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

dorpond wrote:I am just imagining one of these new 10,000X10,000 maps where the players visited half - around 25 rooms of it over 5 gaming sessions. With one wrong click, I totally erase all that they have visited. Now they have no clue where they have been :shock:
*OUCH*
This comment is more about playstyle but...

That's why they make graph paper. If the players want to know where they have been they should draw a darn map.

Or if the characters have relevant skills they can make skill rolls to "remember" information about rooms they have been in. It is well known that people in general are terrible observers and the chance of even a very keen observer remembering ever detail of 25 rooms they recently passed through is quite small. Not too mention the overall spatial awareness that you get from a map that very few people would be able to reproduce from only having seen it on a room by room basis.

IMO, VTs should provide a more immersive experience of exploring the unknown instead of trivializing it even further.

But having said all of that I realise that there are many play styles and that MT should try and work for all.

In your case Dorpond I think you want the Expose Visible Area option. Definitely need renaming to avoid confusion and Galnewinhaw's suggestion doesn't seem too bad.

I would like to see a GM settable opacity for the semi-exposed areas.

And OMG we need a hotkey for the expose functions.

trevor

Post by trevor »

galneweinhaw wrote:
trevor wrote:Toggleable ?
:D
If it's not a word already, it should be!
Heh, actually what I meant was "What do you mean by toggleable, what feature is toggleable"?

galneweinhaw
Dragon

Post by galneweinhaw »

trevor wrote:Heh, actually what I meant was "What do you mean by toggleable, what feature is toggleable"?
oh.. I meant what dorpond said, "Would it be better to have that toggle? Check it and it only shows your visible area, uncheck it it brings it back to before you Exposed Visible Area Only? "

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I was thinking and I have a question for the community more than anything:

Do you see yourself switching between the methods of Exposing the visible Area during your game?

I can see putting in a bunch of different ways for different gaming styles and I think that is a good idea. However, I my case, I will only really use one method during game - I won't change between them.

That being said, I wonder if we are better off stating our method in a global setting and removing them all in the token menu. Instead just have one option in the Token menu that says something on the lines of Expose Visible Area and it will fufill the method that you picked in the global preferences.

It would prevent clicking on the wrong method in the token menu.

Thoughts?

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

That's actually how I prefer it if I'm reading this thread correctly. I only want vision to be updated each round. If my party is in a big maze, they better either have really good memories or go old school and designate someone to map for the party. :D This would be especially useful on large outdoor maps in terrain where a party could easily get lost. I think it would create deeper immersion as the party would legitimately be lost. If someone makes their survival check, the DM can use the pointer to give them a direction heading. The shaded visited function is pretty cool, but my players are spoiled enough with the DM Genie and the Maptools and the 8' screen and the surround sound background music! The least they can do is find their own way around! :P :lol:
"Neither hexes nor squares can confine me!"

James Anthony
"It's all in your head....."
http://www.spelz.net

Return to “Announcements”