MapTool 1.2 Development Release Build 5

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

No, don't worry about it. There might be some slight performance hit, but for what you are doing it shouldn't be a big deal. The fog is different because it covers a vast majority of the screen.

Additionally, I've a plan in mind for restructuring the entire rendering pipeline that will make all of this moot anyway ;) That was my plan for 1.3, but if performance needs more tweaking than what I can do with the current system, I may take a couple steps in that direction a little earlier. Which is why these performance reports are very useful
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Hey Trevor, did you take away the other method of drawing circles or did you add a keystroke to switch between the two?

I feel there is definately a need for both if you took the other away.

trevor

Post by trevor »

dorpond wrote:Hey Trevor, did you take away the other method of drawing circles or did you add a keystroke to switch between the two?

Ack, I had asked whether we needed to keep the old way, and it seemed (to me) that the old way was too cumbersome and not worthwhile.

It's pretty easy to put back in. Just need to figure out how to indicate the two methods

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

trevor wrote: Ack, I had asked whether we needed to keep the old way, and it seemed (to me) that the old way was too cumbersome and not worthwhile.
Heh, no need to gag over the my friend! :)
I was just asking if they were both there. ;)

I am happy with what we have - at least we can put things precisely where they should go!

The reason why I said there should be both is because I can see a possible mix of opinion with it. Some things are easier with this tool and some things are easier with the other tool. Again, no big deal - leave it.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I was not able to do this with the last circle tool:

So you could say that I am happy now! :)

Thanks again Pal!

dLANbandit
Dragon

Post by dLANbandit »

oooooo purrty.

trevor

Post by trevor »

neat !

SDShannonS
Giant

Post by SDShannonS »

dorpond wrote:Hey Trevor, did you take away the other method of drawing circles or did you add a keystroke to switch between the two?

I laughed out loud when I read that. No, really. Actually out loud.

The first thing that sprang to my mind was something along the lines of, "He ASKED if anyone wanted to keep the old way!"

Honestly, I have no desire to retain the old functionality. I think it's much more intuitive to create circles the new way.

Shannon

trevor

Post by trevor »

Hey Shannon, how is that line topology working out for you ? How about the hollow rectangle ?

galneweinhaw
Dragon

Re: MapTool 1.2 Development Release Build 5

Post by galneweinhaw »

trevor wrote:super thanks !
:D
Thank you for letting me in on this cool project!

Just a note that F10 will cause you problems. F10 in Windows is by default the menu bar, which will overwrite your F10 macrobutton when you restart maptools.

I've disabled the windows default F10 to prevent this, but it didn't make it into this build.

trevor

Re: MapTool 1.2 Development Release Build 5

Post by trevor »

galneweinhaw wrote: I've disabled the windows default F10 to prevent this, but it didn't make it into this build.
And will be in the next ;)

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

trevor, can you explain to me the function of Expose Visible Area Only?

I have been trying to figure out its use for during play. It seems to reveal existing vision and quickly covers up any previously exposed vision. It also seems to be token dependant (in other words as a GM, I can't just show all the visions of all the players) nor does each player see the other players vision. What if a player 70 feet away had a torch out? I wouldn't be able to see their space?

So I am a bit confused.

Can you tell me how this feature would be used during game?

Thanks!

trevor

Post by trevor »

dorpond wrote:It seems to reveal existing vision and quickly covers up any previously exposed vision.
This is the intention. Just another style of play. Currently when you expose a section but it's not visible it turns it shaded. This option makes it easy to just unexpose everything but what is currently in your player's vision.

There are two behaviors when unselecting the visible area:

If you don't have token ownership, it will expose the vision areas of the selected tokens. But this feels cumbersome, because it will be easy to forget to select all the tokens in the party, so:

If you are using Strict Token Management it will expose all vision for all player owned tokens. That means the tokens that have been given at least one owner. You can also do this by specifying All in the ownership menu.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Ohhh, so it functions differently when I am hosting an actual session compared to just playing around in Maptool out of game?

Because I was jus tplaying around with it and I was a bit confused.

If I get this straight then; it will reapply all the fog that was previously revealed so that it can show you only what you see now, correct?

That seems dangerous to me.. So permenent..

Would it be better to have that toggle? Check it and it only shows your visible area, uncheck it it brings it back to before you Exposed Visible Area Only?

Maybe I still don't quite understand it - I will have to play around with it. I can see players hitting that by accident though and then they flip out becasue they cannot see the areas that they once had revealed. When they ask me to put it back, is there anything I can do for them?

trevor

Post by trevor »

dorpond wrote: If I get this straight then; it will reapply all the fog that was previously revealed so that it can show you only what you see now, correct?
Correct.

As for a toggle, it's just an additional method of play, if you don't want your fog to work that way then you have the other options available. As always, though, if the feature is too cumbersome or confusing (sounds like this one might be), we can remove it or put it in an advanced mode or something.

I'm not worried about players doing it since only GMs can do expose actions now

Return to “Announcements”