MapTool 1.3 Development Build 62

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

DLarva
Kobold

Re: MapTool 1.3 Development Build 62

Post by DLarva »

dorpond wrote:Guys, we only squished the bugs we reported on in the beginning of this thread. If you guys posted bugs about previous versions in the bugs section, we are aware of them - we really had to release something more stable than B60-B61 so that the B5x users could start moving forward. I think of this as the "it's OK to come out of hidding" build. I hope it is anyway.

Sorry if we didn't address your issue yet. If B62 is rock solid, Trevor and I will probably glance through the bugs forum and try to get to some of other 'what we think are important' bugs. I have to be honest though, we really have to draw the line somewhere or else 1.4 will never come to surface. In many ways, the 1.3 code is preventing us from growing and it needs to get chopped out and tossed in the garbage.

Simonutp, send Trevor your patch for review. It is very helpful to us - thanks.
I don't wish to weigh you down in any way, and I'm not sure this is the appropriate place for a bug report (my first time posting), but...

I went from b56 to b61/b62 and my maps no longer load correctly. I'm not a very advanced user, and so my maps are rather simple. What happens is some of my drawings do not appear in b61/b62. In particular these drawings are serving as walls and doors, etc. So when I load up the map the entire thing looks unfinished. If you want I can provide you a .cmpgn file that demonstrates the problem? If you do desire this, how do I upload it to you guys?

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

DLarva, email the campaign to [email protected] with the url of this thread.

To reduce the size of your campaign, you should make a copy then remove all but one of the maps that show the issue.

Thanks!
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

DLarva
Kobold

Post by DLarva »

trevor wrote:DLarva, email the campaign to [email protected] with the url of this thread.

To reduce the size of your campaign, you should make a copy then remove all but one of the maps that show the issue.

Thanks!
No problem, I emailed.

Notsonoble
Dragon

Post by Notsonoble »

Azhrei wrote:Yeah, but the Boot code was removed from b62 and that's (supposedly) where the problem may lie. So taking out the updates certainly wouldn't fix anything but would put it back to square zero.

I didn't expect b62 to solve that issue. :roll:
I'm beginning to wonder if its MT, or Java... because a lot of this started around the same time as a Java update...

Is anyone not having this problem on an older update?
My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
Notsonoble's Samsung Galaxy S

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Darinth wrote:Well... on the positive side that means the boot code can probably go back in. On the negative side... that means the problem code still has to be found...
I don't think the boot code was working as expected anyway and that Trevor was going to take it out and tool with it later regardless. But with the connections issues cropping up in b60-b61, as far as we know, there was no other smoking gun.

Sir Flak, what's the system configuration of your server?
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Full Bleed wrote:
Darinth wrote:Sir Flak, what's the system configuration of your server?
Since this is a huge priority for us at this point, I will be creating another thread just for these networking issues. It will be a place where you guys can specify your system configs and what-not so we can hopefully narrow this down easier.

Thank you!
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I created a new thread fo the networking issues. For those having the problems, please discuss it here:

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12440
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

Notsonoble wrote:I'm beginning to wonder if its MT, or Java... because a lot of this started around the same time as a Java update...

Is anyone not having this problem on an older update?
Or has anyone had the problem with the new java and an older version of MT?

If not (and I gather there are still a bunch of b56ers out there - like me until a couple weeks ago), then it points to at least a combination of java update and novel MT features.
Drop-In Utilities:
My Spell Manager for D&D3.5 and PFRPG
My Inventory Manager for D&D and PFRPG, but more generally useable than that.
My Message Manager -- My Top-Down D&D Token Images
and my Custom Initiative & Status/Spell-Effect Tracker (work in progress, but functional).

Darcphaze
Cave Troll

Post by Darcphaze »

Several things here.

Now I don't use MT's full capacity. I am running 1.3.b56. I haven't upgraded MT because once I'm on a map with the group, I don't update until they've moved off the map. The particular map they're on is voluminous. I have updated Java. I have no issues. No crashes, but I don't use chat or macros. I have a MT running twice, one as GM other as player and the player view is on an HD TV.

I did have an issue with the player disconnecting (I believed from lack of activity) but the most recent java update got rid of it. My runnings have been clean. Java 6, build 17 (build 1.6.0_17-b04). I'm using the sight, lighting, fog of war, tokens and general map creating.

I do look forward to upgrading, but having lost a map by upgrading previously, you will forgive me if I hesitate to do so again (actually I do have a zip of version 1.2 in case I need it to look at the old maps).
No matter what a GM plans for, the players are certain to find another way to do it

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Darcphaze wrote:...
I have a MT running twice, one as GM other as player and the player view is on an HD TV.
Hey, me too. Looks great on my friend's new 55" LED 240Hz screen... I am very jealous now. With MT, I take the table top out of table top game. I'm still creating a data base of characters and maps, so it's slow going, but the existing framework and resources help alot.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

I am looking forward to my monthly live gaming session this weekend with the new build. We have had some consistent issues with maptool taking extended time to execute macros for me on the server so much that it "locks" up my maptool session for 2060 seconds or so during which I can't really do anything. I have tracked it down to when I or the other connected player(he is hooked up to the projector) quickly selected tokens and ran macros one after another and thus blame transfer "overload". Most of those times, it was when during the creatures turns, my attacks caused 1-2 states to be applied to multiple pc's and the player was clicking on pc1, running the macro to add the states, clicking on pc2 running the macro, etc. During those times, Maptool locked up for me on the server and I just had to wait for all of the actions to complete, so I hope the new changes will help(of course, I am not expecting the transfer times to be gone less/faster would help).

Will report back sometime after Sunday's game.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

Darcphaze wrote:
I do look forward to upgrading, but having lost a map by upgrading previously, you will forgive me if I hesitate to do so again (actually I do have a zip of version 1.2 in case I need it to look at the old maps).

Just open, let's call it CoolMap, in b56 and do a Save As and create a duplicate file. Call it CoolMap2 or something. Save that back up somewhere out of the way and safe. Then do the upgrade and test out b62. If there are some quirks that can't be dealt with and you can't use CoolMap in b56 anymore, you can just trot out CoolMap2 for b56. I am a firm believer in backups in any case.
View MapTool video tutorials at RPToolsTutorials.net

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

brad wrote:Just open, let's call it CoolMap, in b56 and do a Save As and create a duplicate file. Call it CoolMap2 or something. Save that back up somewhere out of the way and safe. Then do the upgrade and test out b62. If there are some quirks that can't be dealt with and you can't use CoolMap in b56 anymore, you can just trot out CoolMap2 for b56. I am a firm believer in backups in any case.
I actually think it would be nice if MT automatically appended the version number to every campaign file name so that older campaign files that work fine in early versions were never accidentally overwritten with campaigns that are formatted to newer versions. This has happened to a lot of people (especially newer users) who don't understand that while a campaign may be forward compatible, it's not necessarily backward compatible and once you save over a campaign it becomes "updated" to the version of MT that you are currently using. There is no going back unless you've specifically made backups.

I personally make per-session backups with dates in the campaign file names so I have a number of levels of redundancy... having that as a save option would be nice too.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

DDK
Cave Troll

Post by DDK »

Still no .dmg :(

Darcphaze
Cave Troll

Post by Darcphaze »

Darcphaze wrote:I do look forward to upgrading, but having lost a map by upgrading previously, you will forgive me if I hesitate to do so again (actually I do have a zip of version 1.2 in case I need it to look at the old maps).
What I meant was that I had done the original map in 1.2, then during play, upgraded to 1.3, which would not view the old map, hence my keeping a zip version of 1.2. Sorry for the confusion.
No matter what a GM plans for, the players are certain to find another way to do it

Return to “Announcements”