MapTool ALPHA Build 101 Release Notes

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

MapTool ALPHA Build 101 Release Notes

Post by trevor »

Ok, got some good stuff in, though I'd get it out so you could start hammering on it and finding the kinks:

Build 101 (3/26/06)
* Using zoom slider on adjust grid zooms to center point
* Right click->Move (touchpad support)
* "P" picks up/drops a token
* Keyboard token movement, numeric keypad
* unbounded map textures now scale with zoom
* Reintroduction of token stack management panel, double click the stack, drag token off

Couple notes:

* Currently you can only use P to pick up a single token. If you have more than one the request is ignored.
* I'm still working on getting the regular arrow keys to work
* The token stack is having some weirdness. When you drag a token, you have to release the mouse in order for it to move the token. It might take a restructuring to make it work right.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

You need a short cut for the move command and when I select move the token "jumps" to where the mouse pointer is. Perhaps when you select move via the DD menu or shortcut, the token gets hilighted but doesn't follow the mouse unless it is moved or clicks on the map somewhere...
Also If I am zoomed in on the map and the token is near the edge, it doesn't want to/can't move away from the edge using the Numpad
This was all done with a single token, no stack

The Numpad movement is very buggy :(
Some times it jumps 5 spaces, certain directions work and then they don't...

I think my Token is Drunk ;)
Game On!

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

The token stack managment is cool, but it seems to drag when you try to drag a token, if you'll excuss the play with words ;)
The chosen token doesn't drag smoothly fom the panel ... there is a delay or you need to click again or something :?
Game On!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Emryys wrote:The token stack managment is cool, but it seems to drag when you try to drag a token, if you'll excuss the play with words ;)
The chosen token doesn't drag smoothly fom the panel ... there is a delay or you need to click again or something :?
From the initial post:
trevor wrote:* The token stack is having some weirdness. When you drag a token, you have to release the mouse in order for it to move the token. It might take a restructuring to make it work right.
Is that what you are experiencing ?

brisingre
Dragon

Post by brisingre »

I havent tried the new build yet, but these are some things that I have been waiting for for a long time.
Chaotic Neutral means never having to say you're sorry.

brisingre
Dragon

Post by brisingre »

Update
The zoom works well, but hte token movement is very buggy. You have to pick up the token first, and right didin't work at all.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Hmmm, are the buggyness consistent, or does it seem random ? What steps are you using to get the weirdness ?

brisingre
Dragon

Post by brisingre »

I am just hitting keys and the token won't go right. it feels consistent to me. maybe if I started by going right I couldnt go left, ill check later.

trevor

Post by trevor »

brisingre wrote:You have to pick up the token first, and right didin't work at all.
I was thinking, I could make it so that hitting a direction key automatically picks up the token. You would still have to hit a key to drop it though, but that might be easier than picking it up first.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

trevor wrote: I was thinking, I could make it so that hitting a direction key automatically picks up the token. You would still have to hit a key to drop it though, but that might be easier than picking it up first.
If you do that you might want to make sure the token is on screen. You also might consider allowing the escape key to release.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

trevor

Post by trevor »

RPTroll wrote:
trevor wrote: I was thinking, I could make it so that hitting a direction key automatically picks up the token. You would still have to hit a key to drop it though, but that might be easier than picking it up first.
If you do that you might want to make sure the token is on screen. You also might consider allowing the escape key to release.
Good points both

brisingre
Dragon

Post by brisingre »

trevor wrote:
brisingre wrote:You have to pick up the token first, and right didin't work at all.
I was thinking, I could make it so that hitting a direction key automatically picks up the token. You would still have to hit a key to drop it though, but that might be easier than picking it up first.
I suggest numpad 5 to drop. also, could this form of movement pan the screen with the token?

trevor

Post by trevor »

Hmmm. There was another suggestion of 5 being the right click menu. The 5 could be a drop instead, but there would still need to be a non keypad drop for those that don't use the keypad (laptop users).

What do the rest of you guys think ? What should 5 do ?

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

I think either 5 or 0 would work for the drop. The other non-drop key could be the right-click alternative. There are other keys to work with on the num bad as well. :-)

When a token is selected, tabbing to switch the select to the next token in the list (shift-tab to reverse) might be a cool way to move tokens without ever touching the mouse.

Useful? Probably not but it was a random thought I thought I'd share.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

trevor

Post by trevor »

RPTroll wrote:When a token is selected, tabbing to switch the select to the next token in the list (shift-tab to reverse) might be a cool way to move tokens without ever touching the mouse.
This is also something we've wanted to do, using tab keys to cycle through the visible tokens. And although I desperately want to implement it right now, I'm probably going to get chastized for working in the keyboard movement (heh). But you can bet it'll show up pretty quick once we hammer out the issues in the current M9

Return to “Announcements”