MapTool 1.2 Development Release Build 9

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

I'm definitely getting a significant performance increase on a heavily textured campaign map that was created with build 6.

Lucas
Kobold

Post by Lucas »

I noticed that when you copy a token from one map to another one, it loses its vision properties. They're there in the Vision menu, but they don't work anymore (I tried disabling and enabling again). You have to create new ones...

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I loaded up a few more of my pre 1.2b9 campaigns that were built in 1.2 and they all seem to have a performance sputter. What I mean by that is if I zoom in and zoom out, it kinda sits there for a moment or two and then finally decided to listen. Same with panning the map around -it will go so far and then stop for a moment.

I have not sat down and tried to draw a new campaign from scratch though yet - perhaps my issues is a backwards compatible issue.

I did notice though that all my Pre 1.2B9 campaigns built in 1.2 are no good to me now though because of the stamps being under the texture drawings I had. Yeah, I knew it was a 'use at your own risk' situation. I am hoping though that in 1.2B10 you can make it so that all drawables are background drawables so I don't lose all that hard work. Maybe you could make a little converter program or something? Something that would convert the drawables from A to B -user decides in the interface.. Just a thought. <shrug>
Last edited by dorpond on Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

storyguide3
Kobold

Big Problems with camapaign

Post by storyguide3 »

Bad news. Build 9 destroyed a campaign file on me after I reset the status on some tokens. I opened a campaign with existing tokens, all of which were set to NPC status. I set them to PC, though Maptool still could not see any of the logged in players, even though Strict Token Management was on.

I then saved the file under its old name (big mistake). I had to close out the program and start again, at which time it would not open the campaign file, giving me the following error message in a pop-up box:

com.caucho.hessian.io.HessianProtocolException:unknown code

So I opened another old file, saved it under a new name, then shut down and successfully reopened it. Having done that, I changed a token from NPC to PC and then saved again. When I tried to reopen that file, I got a failure with this error message:

java.io.IOException:java.lang.InstantiationException:java.util,Array$ArrayList

What the heck is going on? Tonights game was a bust (I know, don't use the bleeding edge version) but can this be fixed and is the old campaign file that I first opened now lost forever?

Help
Brad Johnston
Almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

dorpond wrote:...they all seem to have a performance sputter. What I mean by that is if I zoom in and zoom out, it kinda sits there for a moment or two and then finally decided to listen. Same with panning the map around -it will go so far and then stop for a moment.
Trevor had said that there was still performance issues on the zoom. Zooming is pretty herky-jerky.

Not seeing the map panning issue but my biggest campaign map is only 250 hexes across.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Would like to propose that the drawing tools all default to the Background layer instead of the Token layer on the GM client.

How does everyone else feel about that?

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Re: Big Problems with camapaign

Post by trevor »

storyguide3 wrote: can this be fixed and is the old campaign file that I first opened now lost forever?
Email your campaign file to [email protected] and I'll take a look.

For you game you should be able to download version 8 and use that until b10 :)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

trevor

Re: Big Problems with camapaign

Post by trevor »

storyguide3 wrote: java.io.IOException:java.lang.InstantiationException:java.util,Array$ArrayList
Hmmm, I'm seeing this too, I might be making a patch build RSN

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Phergus wrote:Would like to propose that the drawing tools all default to the Background layer instead of the Token layer on the GM client.

How does everyone else feel about that?
Well, it all depends really. During map building - I agree. During game when I am drawing out fireballs and entangle? Well... I am not sure...

Let me think about this a moment..

OK, I thought about it - I draw a lot more during map building than I do during game. During game I might draw out 3-5 area effect spells; during map building I am drawing hundreds..

OK, you convinced me. But before you ask for such a thing, we do have to consider the first time users and the users that don't draw their maps with Maptool.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

I had thought about that and here is a further thought.

What if when the GM client was running stand-alone, ie no clients connected, it defaulted to Background but when running as a server it defaulted to Token layer?

trevor

Post by trevor »

OK, I've fixed the vision issue. There was a flaw in the the optimization check. I had to do it slightly differently. Fortunately it's only just slightly slower than the original optimization. I'll probably do a build Wed that will include it

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Something I found:

The lower end system that I have performs worse as I mentioned previously; the higher end system performs better in many ways. The difference between systems:
1. Pentium 4 - 2.0 Ghz, 1gig memory, Nvidea Gforce 6800 256 meg.
2. Pentium 4 - 3.2 Ghz, 1gig memory, ATI mobile Radeon 128 meg. (This system has hypertheading processor).

I did notice that with my large campaigns, it halts my system for 10 seconds or so when it does an autorecovery save every 2 minutes. That is killing me and I will have to turn it off altogether in the prefs. Perhaps you could have an Autosaving text somewhere on the screen so the users know why it is halting.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Actually I just need to background the thread so it does it asynchronously.

That's weird that it would be fine on one machine and not the other, those are both good machines. I'll keep looking.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Hey Trevor, should I abandon the idea of getting those pre 1.2B9 campaigns from working properly (Texture Draws being on top of my background and object stamps)? I am not sure if you are planning on changing the way it is or leaving it as is.

It would be a shame to lose those very cool examples I made that I could use for demos but I would completely understand if you just want to look forward at this point.

I just wanted to figure out if I should start redoing them or if I should hold out a while.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Is anyone else reporting a performance decrease?

Return to “Announcements”