MapTool 1.2 Development Release Build 13

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

mosat
Giant

Post by mosat »

Hi, I've checked back in and again I'm like three builds behind...I wasn't even gone weeks this time ;-)

I briefly played with build 13 and had a couple of observations: I was looking at Dorponds overland map (love that isometric view) and I wanted to look at the file names. Some of them were long and so were trunkated in the list. I uncoupled the TOKEN_TREE window and dragged it to make it wider but the list did not then display the full name with the additional space I'd given it as I expected, just the same truckation and lots of white space.

I also noticed the other two windows went blank when I did this, the re-drew when clicked on but when I widened the whole column they went blank again. After a little playing they started behaving correctly and did not go blank anymore, not sure what I did to fix it or break it.

Anyway, awesome job, it's litterally getting better and better everyday :-)

I've been contimplating creating some really big maps of real world ancient sites to scale like the giza pyramids I did earlier. I started recreating that with build 9, I got lucky with that - my file opened with build 10 so I didn't lose it.
~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
~ PCGen Data, Docs & Tracker Chimp
~ Outputsheet Tamarin & Mac build guru

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

mosat wrote:I've been contimplating creating some really big maps of real world ancient sites to scale like the giza pyramids I did earlier. I started recreating that with build 9, I got lucky with that - my file opened with build 10 so I didn't lose it.
I am VERY interested in your MASSIVE recreation of anyhting pyramid related. I think I was an Egyptian in my past life ;)

I really enjoy the mystery behind the pyramids and such. Would make for a really cool campaign!

[edit]
As far as the file names; I will usually keep them the way they were when downloaded from Dundjinni. This way the originator kinda gets credit for the work since they tend to put the creators initials in the file name. Like you said though - they are longgggggg.....

Dalna
Dragon

Post by Dalna »

Trevor,
Since my Pennesula campaign is larger then 10M, both AOL and Yahoo mail will not allow me to email it, even after I zipped it. But basically what is happens is this. You know my campaign is large, but what I do to make large terains is to copy and paste the tiles. But when I try to move tiles in 1.2b13, the tiles do not move as I drag the mouse and a delayed drop of the tiles is done, and since I do not see the outline of the tiles as I try to move them it drops wherever.

In version 1.2b8 I can see when I drag a background piece where it is going to be placed. In 1.2b13, I can't.

Shutdown the server since I think Dorpond is describing the same problem below.
Last edited by Dalna on Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

This campaign I am working on was just texture draws and LBL this whole time but now that I dropped a stamp down, I can't move the stamps around. Actually I can move them around, I just can't see where I am moving it to.

This is what I get consistently when I try to move around a stamp:
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
at net.rptools.maptool.client.tool.StampTool.paintOverlay(StampTool.java:1148)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.zone.ZoneRenderer.renderZone(ZoneRenderer.java:553)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.zone.ZoneRenderer.paintComponent(ZoneRenderer.java:495)
at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComponent.paintChildren(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComponent.paintWithOffscreenBuffer(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComponent.paintDoubleBuffered(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComponent._paintImmediately(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComponent.paintImmediately(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paintDirtyRegions(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.SystemEventQueueUtilities$ComponentWorkRequest.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Dalna
Dragon

Post by Dalna »

Same problem I am having...I got about the same

mosat
Giant

Post by mosat »

dorpond wrote:I am VERY interested in your MASSIVE recreation of anyhting pyramid related. I think I was an Egyptian in my past life ;)

I really enjoy the mystery behind the pyramids and such. Would make for a really cool campaign!
I'll be putting them up in the Gallery whenever I get them into a finished state. I'm making them to share, it's just for fun as I've no plans to use them in a campaign.

I'm finding the latest enhancements make doing this really easy. First I find a subject in Google Earth (if you have not played with this you must simply stop what you are doing NOW and go try it), take a screen capture with the scale legend in it so I can calculate the exact dimentions the screen capture covers. In photoshop I make a layer and trace lines over the elements I want in my map, turn of the picture layer and export a png. in MapTools I draw rectangle the exact size the sceen capture represents, I use that to then scale up the png after I place it. Since the png is a line drawing with transparency I can see threw it the the background draw layer as I'm drawing. Once I've got enough reference from the image I can delete it. While I'm working I can simply make it hidden from players and switch to player view to see how it's looking.
~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

That's pretty cool mosat :)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

trevor

Post by trevor »

dorpond wrote:This campaign I am working on was just texture draws and LBL this whole time but now that I dropped a stamp down, I can't move the stamps around. Actually I can move them around, I just can't see where I am moving it to.
Yes, I expect this is the cause of the mysterious stamp disappearance.

And I would have gotten away with it too if it hadn't of been for you meddling kids !

*cough*

I'll patch it up tonight and make a build, I've got that player-can-save-the-campaign-and-see-it-all-nyah-nyah-nyah bug fix to push.
Last edited by trevor on Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trevor

Post by trevor »

mosat wrote:Hi, I've checked back in and again I'm like three builds behind...I wasn't even gone weeks this time ;-)
Heh, this is my bad, the previous couple builds each had critical bugs in them :P

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I noticed something; it isn't critical but I thought I would mention it. It will probably never show up so whether it should be fixed is completely up to you.

I went to open a campaign file. I noticed the nice little thumbnail but also noticed that I didn't like what I named a file so I renamed it right in that same dialog box. When I renamed it, the Thumbnail no longer displayed.

Yeah, I just need to open it up and resave it - like I said, not really important or critical - just thought I'd mention it.

mosat
Giant

Post by mosat »

mosat wrote:I was looking at Dorponds overland map (love that isometric view) and I wanted to look at the file names. Some of them were long and so were trunkated in the list. I uncoupled the TOKEN_TREE window and dragged it to make it wider but the list did not then display the full name with the additional space I'd given it as I expected, just the same truckation and lots of white space.
Trevor, is this a bug or is the window set to truncate the file names at a set length. If so I'd like to request to be able to have dynamic truncation so we can see longer names when the window is widened.
Thanks.
~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)

trevor

Post by trevor »

That's a bug. Expect a fix soon :)

trevor

Post by trevor »

Dalna wrote:I can't use 1.2b13 to do my tiling mapmaking. When I copy and paste tiles to extend my map. I no longer see the image of them moving when I try to drag them into place.
Fixed, will be in 1.2b14

trevor

Post by trevor »

mosat wrote: Trevor, is this a bug or is the window set to truncate the file names at a set length.
This is fixed and will be in 1.2b14

trevor

Post by trevor »

dorpond wrote:when drawing LBL, it is no longer red but rather the texture that you were drawing previously
I've having difficulty reproducing this behavior. Have you been able to notice any common trend on when it happens ?

Return to “Announcements”