Site hacked! Check for infection! Change your Style!

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

dochogan
Cave Troll

Re: Site hacked -- check your computer for infection!

Post by dochogan »

Azhrei wrote:
Can that get stickied someplace more obvious than buried in this thread? I only skimmed the thread, and didn't actually catch that - I had to figure it out on my own.
Well, this thread is already an announcement so everyone should see it. I'll see about putting it at the top of every page, too. I can't help it if people see a subject like this one and don't read the entire thread! But I changed the subject line so that people will know to change their style.
As bo2Soft has been disabled and all profiles forced over to a new theme, a special announcement is probably no longer necessary. A quick note to people about WHY they're not on their prior default might save them a WTF moment, though ;)
---

Doc Hogan

kristof65
Dragon

Re: Site hacked -- check your computer for infection!

Post by kristof65 »

Azhrei wrote:As I said, those using the bo2Soft style will get some kind of failure (apparently it was the default in previous versions?).
Must have been, because I'm generally too lazy to use anything other than the default style at a forum, unless it's something horrendous (like purple text on a black starfield background)
Well, this thread is already an announcement so everyone should see it. I'll see about putting it at the top of every page, too. I can't help it if people see a subject like this one and don't read the entire thread! But I changed the subject line so that people will know to change their style.
That should help. I read your initial announcement earlier in the day, then came back later on - I went to answer a post then and that's when I realized I had no post or replay buttons. Because I did skim your announcement, I had an idea of what happened and what I needed to do, so I went and poked around in my profile settings til I fixed it.

I brought it up simply because I could see someone not bothering to read the whole announcement. Of course, now that I think about it, with no post buttons, we wouldn't see a firestorm of posts asking about it though.

neofax
Great Wyrm

Re: Site hacked! Check for infection! Change your Style!

Post by neofax »

@Azhrei: You are very funny! What a great April Fool's Joke! ......Wait! What? This really did happen? NOOOO!!!! :cry:

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Yeah, isn't that really ironic? What would be perhaps the worst thing for an admin to deal with happens on April Fool's day.

What's that quote from Matrix? "Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony."

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

So we've had the new forum software for a couple days now and the initial confusion over the loss of the old style seems to have been (mostly) abated. :)

Now if any of the graphic artists here would like to pick a style (or two, or three!) and design a heading for forum, I'd be happy to give your work some exposure here. I will start a separate thread regarding this early next week that includes a list of all of the style names and then people interested in doing some of the artwork can have their name next to a style so that others know it's already being worked on.

But it's not practical to develop graphics for styles that no one is actively using, so I want to wait a few days and see which ones people are using. Then I can include a "user count" with the style list.

Anyway, if you're interested just be thinking about it. More on this next week. :)

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Not sure if this is style specific... but the site logo (currently a phpbb logo in the style I'm using) used to link to rptools.net. Right now it's defaulting to these forums. I kind of got used to using it as a shortcut to the rptools site.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Ah, good point. I haven't looked at the templates to see if they all use a standard (replaceable) variable for the URL, but I bet they do. I'll add this to my make-sure-to-fix list for all templates.

Oh, and I was going to try to get some more forum software stuff done this weekend, but that's not going to happen. It'll be the end of the week before I get to it now. :(

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Well FB, it got a little tricky. (Isn't that always the way, though? :roll:)

It related to how the web server manages cookies for use with automatic and persistent logins, combined with how the phpBB software stores the server's own address as separate pieces and puts them together when needed.

I've added a new configuration variable called "parent_site" to the database and I'll go through and set all of the styles' header to point to that location instead of the top of the forum.

I'm much more familiar now with how the phpBB3 software manages these things than I was before the infection, so I can't tell you what the situation was with the older/original software; I haven't bothered to look through it to figure it out. But just for you I'm going to do a change en masse in a few minutes. :)

(Edit: I tested it on a few styles and it seems to link back to the main site now. If anyone notices otherwise please let me know. Or if any of the "Home" links go to the main site and you think they should go to the top of the forum (based on the style you've chosen) please let me know that, too. I may have changed one too many variables. ;))

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Azhrei wrote:I'm much more familiar now with how the phpBB3 software manages these things than I was before the infection, so I can't tell you what the situation was with the older/original software; I haven't bothered to look through it to figure it out. But just for you I'm going to do a change en masse in a few minutes. :)
Heh, aw shucks! ;)

You got the site up quick and with fairly little loss or incident, so I think I can speak for everyone when I thank you for being on top of things.

Thanks.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “Announcements”