MapTool 1.3 Bugfix Build 66

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

Azhrei
Site Admin

MapTool 1.3 Bugfix Build 66

Post by Azhrei »

And this build can be named, the-first-to-be-released-within-12-hours-of-another-one build. :roll:

There are still issues to be solved (see Natha's post in the b65 thread), but I wanted to get this out there to see if it had any impact on the users having issues with 32-bit vs. 64-bit JVMs. (I don't expect it to help anything, but then I wouldn't have expected there to be a problem between 32- & 64-bit JVMs in the first place.)

If you've posted a bug report against b64 or b65, please try this build. I've been able to load campaigns and tokens saved from b63 and b64 without any problem, although files saved with this latest won't load in the older ones.

Thanks to Mathemagician for attaching a small (3MB+) example of a campaign with problems -- it was a great sample that let me squash a couple more bugs. (One was a really stupid typo on my part. :()

Things I know still need work:
  1. Natha's bug report of incorrect character encodings on an imported macro set.
  2. Importing of maps does NOT rename them as I planned.

patoace
Dragon

Re: MapTool 1.3 Bugfix Build 66

Post by patoace »

Jus to let you know that this build solved my "could not load campaign" problem. Thank you, Azhrei!

PinkRose
Dragon

Post by PinkRose »

Yep. That fixed the 64 v 32 battle I had going on.
I am a special snowflake!

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Looking good so far. I'll switch into Linux and see if it works there, too.

shporang
Kobold

Post by shporang »

One bug I have been noticing consistently is with the dice expression parser giving incorrect values for complex dice expressions.
The specific expression I used is [4d6r1d1] which I believe says "roll 4d6, re-roll 1's, drop the lowest value"
The problem I run into with that expression is that MapTool appears to parse it down to 4d1. I've not tested other complex expressions, though there may be problems with these too.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Hey Azhrei,
Thanks for all your hard work, it is much appreciated.

Once the dust settles in a few months, I'll be back to my RPTools duties. Looking forward to doing hard core, behind the scenes testing again.

Anyway, thanks again!
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

shporang wrote:One bug I have been noticing consistently is with the dice expression parser giving incorrect values for complex dice expressions.
The specific expression I used is [4d6r1d1] which I believe says "roll 4d6, re-roll 1's, drop the lowest value"
The problem I run into with that expression is that MapTool appears to parse it down to 4d1. I've not tested other complex expressions, though there may be problems with these too.
I may be wrong, but I don't believe that MapTool has ever been been able to combine those special rolls. You can just do one or the other. I believe at some point there were a couple extended things put in there just for Shadowrun, but those are the SR ones listed. You would have to write up something in the macro code to handle what you want. It wouldn't be a difficult code block, but since this is not a bug specific to this build you should post in the Macros forum for help with that. I am sure a number of the macro folks would chime in with different ways it could be done.
View MapTool video tutorials at RPToolsTutorials.net

shporang
Kobold

Post by shporang »

Thanks. I saw those parser directions in the wiki at one point & didn't realize they weren't supported anymore. And sorry about the double post, I didn't notice the "This message will be reviewed by an administrator before it is posted" message the first time...
Anyways it's no big deal to me, just thought I'd offer my feedback on what I noticed.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

If it's in the wiki then it should work. If it doesn't, then you're welcome to create an account and fix it for the next guy that needs it. Or the next time you need it and you can't remember the answer so you go back to the wiki... ;)

I'm VERY glad that this build seems to fix the initial campaign loading problem. Please everyone: hit this one hard. :)

@Gringoire: If you want to build another .dmg I'll get it onto the web site. :)

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Though it seems pretty solid already, I want to say that I was able to open a campaign in my Linux install as well, no trouble (as well as across 32-bit and 64-bit systems).

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

shporang wrote:Thanks. I saw those parser directions in the wiki at one point & didn't realize they weren't supported anymore. And sorry about the double post, I didn't notice the "This message will be reviewed by an administrator before it is posted" message the first time...
Anyways it's no big deal to me, just thought I'd offer my feedback on what I noticed.
They are supported as listed. Just not combining more then one command, like in your example. At least when I am looking in the Wiki under Dice Expressions I never see any example of combining the expressions. Though there is also no where that states that you can't combine them, which I could see being a problem. No reason why someone wouldn't just assume that you could. Which it sounds like you did. I suppose I should finally sign up on the Wiki and contribute something. This would be an easy edit in any case.
View MapTool video tutorials at RPToolsTutorials.net

Gringoire
Cave Troll

Post by Gringoire »

I will make dmg file as soon as i can. I hope this will be out tomorrow (italian time. now it's 00:54 here. :D) Good night!
La nuova Era - Sito italiano dedicato a MapTool e D&D 4th edition.
Gringoire's FrameWork Il primo e unico FrameWork completamente italiano, sviluppato da un italiano.

Pyroman
Cave Troll

Post by Pyroman »

Has anyone else noticed a problem with MapTools hanging while it autosaves? Autosaving used to not have any impact on using the tool, but I have noticed since 1.3.b63 that everytime my campaign autosaves it locks the process while doing it. I know it is autosaving doing it because it was happening every 5 minutes or so. I changed the autosave timer to 300 minutes and, like clockwork, when 5 hours hit the process hung. If no one else is noticing a problem, it may just be my campaign (or computer... I'll have to test it on a different PC). Perhaps there could be an option to disable autosaving?

EDIT: as a note, when I check the process memory while it is hanging, javaw.exe is using more than the alloted max RAM set when I launched MapTool. I am thinking that java is hitting the memory cap and this is why it is hanging. Anyone knowledgable in Java have any suggestions on how to solve this problem... I am already maxing the memory at 1G allotted.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Pyroman wrote:Perhaps there could be an option to disable autosaving?
There is: set the timeout to "999999". ;)
I am thinking that java is hitting the memory cap and this is why it is hanging.
That's possible. I just found out that the save process creates a huge string of XML in memory and then writes it out. That string contains the entire contents of the contents.xml that is inside the campaign file. Mine is about 70MB right now -- that's a lot of temporary RAM needed.

Return to “Announcements”