MapTool 1.3 Bugfix Build 70

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

Rumble
Deity

Re: MapTool 1.3 Bugfix Build 70

Post by Rumble »

kkragenbrink wrote:It is times like this that I wish for a facepalm smiley.

There is not face, nor palm enough, in the world. :D

Notsonoble
Dragon

Post by Notsonoble »

My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
Notsonoble's Samsung Galaxy S

kkragenbrink
Cave Troll

Post by kkragenbrink »

Okay, they are finally back. Switching Info.plist as described works. There's some strange weird error whenever the player tries to use the Chat, which I suspect is related to the chat notification. I will be debugging it next month when they vacation at my house.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

For those of you using the source code via Eclipse or other build environment, I have just committed revision 5346 which, if no one finds any problems with it, will become b72.

There were a number of small fixes in this revision, but things to look at in particular are:
  • Loading and saving of ZIP files. That includes campaigns, maps, tokens, tables, macros (individual and groups), campaign properties, and anything else you can think of. :)
  • Related to the ZIP file I/O, please also pay attention to international language sets as well. That was the whole point of the rewrite of the file I/O section.
You will need to update both the maptool and rplib projects. Please only test by saving to temporary campaign files -- I'd hate to think you lost a campaign file that you used for gaming! If/when you report back here, I'd like to know if the campaign file size changed much, whether the I/O seemed faster or slower, or any other aspects that you notice.

Thanks!

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Image assets saved within a campaign using the current codebase (5346) are all corrupted.

Fail when loaded on a different computer of course.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Argh. Mine loaded just fine and I didn't test in a separate VM. :(

Yep, the images are screwed up. It looks like the UTF-8 encoding is still being used on images. Okay, I'll take a look and put another revision on the site today. Stay tuned.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Okay, please try again. We're at revision 5348 now. You'll need to update both MapTool and rplib.

The problem you found was a "double encoding" where the charset encoding was happening twice and the second time it was being applied to all files, not just text ones! :(

I also found a few other problems in the meantime and fixed those as well.

I tested saving campaigns and tokens, and then unpacking the zip files and looking at the actual images and they look fine now. :roll:

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

That seems to have done it!

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Azhrei wrote:Okay, please try again. We're at revision 5348 now. You'll need to update both MapTool and rplib.

The problem you found was a "double encoding" where the charset encoding was happening twice and the second time it was being applied to all files, not just text ones! :(

I also found a few other problems in the meantime and fixed those as well.

I tested saving campaigns and tokens, and then unpacking the zip files and looking at the actual images and they look fine now. :roll:
Azhrei, can you make sure the default vision thing is either fixed or rolled back so that undefined distances default to map value?
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

jfrazierjr wrote:Azhrei, can you make sure the default vision thing is either fixed or rolled back so that undefined distances default to map value?
Yep. :)

I have a patch from you and Craig has one to apply as well. I just wanted to get the file I/O stuff verified first. Now I'll apply some of these others.

I've also fixed some map import bugs (the initiative panel wasn't reset properly) and fixed some speedups for saving campaigns (the speedups were there but weren't being called properly). I also added/fixed the code that causes the current map and view to be the default when the campaign is reloaded later, at least on the server. I haven't tried connecting with another client yet.

I've got about a dozen bugs that I want to get fixed for b72. Some of them should be easy. I'm going to work on those and put out b72 tomorrow regardless of how many of them I get fixed. :)

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

So I've only heard from Phergus ... will no one else test this out? ("Please... Think of the children...")

I'm going to work on fixing some of these other minor bugs on my list and I'll do a build tonight, but after the problem with b71 I'd rather not make that mistake again. :)

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

I should get some more time to test the code today. Any areas other than the saving and loading to look at?

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Those are the big important ones: campaign files, macros, macro sets, tables, and so on. I have some macrosets that use international characters that I still need to test to see if they work now (!) but I'm primarily interested in just fixing the can't-save-campaigns bug that I introduced previously. :|

I've got about a dozen other bugs fixed so far and I have 6 more on my list. Most are related to macro functions that don't fail gracefully or don't produce the correct error message. Some are just helpful notes to new users ("If you run out of memory during campaign saving, create a blank map and save from there"). The list includes: URLs in the chat window allow the colon in the path field; fixed wiki page for Wiki: getStrProp(); json.type (and other json.* functions) no longer throw NPEs... I'll add the list to the wiki right after lunch (linked from the bottom right of the main page).

I need to move the initial vision/sight types to an external array just like the light table is an external array. I want to add a check to make sure newer campaigns produce a warning when loaded in older versions of MapTool. (I'd like to have the XML library simply ignore new fields but I don't think I can do that easily (or at all) since the exception happens deep inside XStream and if I catch it I can't really recover from it. :()

silversonic
Cave Troll

Post by silversonic »

I'll be happy to help. Forgive my noobishnes, where can i retrieve the revision?

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Well, I was exhorting the folks who have Eclipse installed and are familiar with Java development to grab the latest (unreleased) version of the code. It's really not for newcomers. :)

In any case, I'll be ready to release b72 in a couple hours (just a few more bugs to squash)...

Return to “Announcements”