MapTool Build 104/105 ALPHA Release Notes

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

MapTool Build 104/105 ALPHA Release Notes

Post by trevor »

Here it is, the first Release Candidate for 1.0, take a look and see if you can find anything critically broken.

Here's what's new:

Build 105 (4/14/06)
* Fix problem with loading default tokens via webstart

Build 104 (4/14/06)
* Introduce default token set
* Performance tweak for token dragging
* Make draw tool toggles more distinct when pressed

Of particular interest is the new default tokens, and the performance tweak to the dragging. Please check those out and let me know how it goes. The default tokens will automatically show up when you don't have a $userhome/.maptool directory, which basically means if you've never started maptool before.

To install the default tokens without deleting your .maptool directory, use the Help->Restore Default Images menu item.

Thanks for the good testing everyone !
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

I found an some interesting phenominom (spelling ;) )...

I have 2 tokens on the map. I move 1 token out with the keyboard a few squares, then I use "shift-T" and switch to the other token. Now I have one token 'stretched out' with the trail and the other token hilighted. Then when I use keyboard movement again the second token stays selected, but the first stretched token moves. Seems strange but doesn't really affect anything...

When moving tokens that are size small or smaller (;)), the trail comes out strange, off the route or not at all, and there is no 'shading'.

If I have 2 tokens of differing size and they are stacked with the big one on top(or front), the 'click or double click' doesn't bring up the token select window, although you can tell that there is a stack by the indicator in the corner. You can use the send to back to get the other token, but I lined up 3 tokens of different sizes and it could be a bit of work to get to the correct token :(
Correction: it does but unless you click where the window will show up under your mouse, it goes away. So always click in the top row left of large or bigger tokens when selecting from a stack

When moving large or bigger tokens a red dot (light source marker) appears in the top left corner while moving

Nice default tokens :) Are they from your resident artist?
I also noticed a map folder under defaults... explanation :)
Game On!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Emryys wrote:I have 2 tokens on the map. I move 1 token out with the keyboard a few squares, then I use "shift-T" and switch to the other token. Now I have one token 'stretched out' with the trail and the other token hilighted. Then when I use keyboard movement again the second token stays selected, but the first stretched token moves. Seems strange but doesn't really affect anything...
Bummer, I thought I had accounted for that. Tracker added.
Emryys wrote:When moving tokens that are size small or smaller (;)), the trail comes out strange, off the route or not at all, and there is no 'shading'.
Good catch, tracker added.
Emryys wrote:If I have 2 tokens of differing size and they are stacked with the big one on top(or front), the 'click or double click' doesn't bring up the token select window, although you can tell that there is a stack by the indicator in the corner. You can use the send to back to get the other token, but I lined up 3 tokens of different sizes and it could be a bit of work to get to the correct token :(
Correction: it does but unless you click where the window will show up under your mouse, it goes away. So always click in the top row left of large or bigger tokens when selecting from a stack
There is actually a tracker for this one already, but this additional detail is very useful
Emryys wrote:When moving large or bigger tokens a red dot (light source marker) appears in the top left corner while moving
Odd. Tracker added.
Emryys wrote:Nice default tokens :) Are they from your resident artist?
Yes, in fact, they came from some very, very nice portraits that we have in a gallery that will be released soon.
Emryys wrote:I also noticed a map folder under defaults... explanation :)
Right now it's just a placeholder, I need to find a default map to put in there, something small, very pretty, and freely distributable. If anyone has any ideas let me know.

trevor

Post by trevor »

And thanks for the great debugging emryys. Fortunately none of those are sufficient to block M9 moving to beta, I'll hammer them out during next week during the "polish" release :)

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

trevor wrote:And thanks for the great debugging emryys. Fortunately none of those are sufficient to block M9 moving to beta, I'll hammer them out during next week during the "polish" release :)
NP :) That's what us Giants do best... catch Code Kobolds ;)
trevor wrote:Right now it's just a placeholder, I need to find a default map to put in there, something small, very pretty, and freely distributable. If anyone has any ideas let me know
Well, here's examples of what I can do...

These are rough for quick gaming but, If I have time...
Game On!

brisingre
Dragon

Post by brisingre »

I can do a decent dungoen crawl if you aren't too attached to clever details. I will have a crack at it with dcrafter ( I am no good with DF yet. Call me old-fashioned :wink: ) next week.
Chaotic Neutral means never having to say you're sorry.

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

brisingre wrote:I am no good with DF yet.
1, 2 and 4 were done with DF ;) Keep at it :)
I liked DC, but love DF...
Game On!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Since the default tokens are more of a fantasy theme, I was thinking it would be good to keep along that theme.

Perhaps an 800x600 campfire in the forest, or something. The prettier the better :)

chrobry
Cave Troll

Re: MapTool Build 104/105 ALPHA Release Notes

Post by chrobry »

trevor wrote:Here it is, the first Release Candidate for 1.0, take a look and see if you can find anything critically broken.

Here's what's new:

Build 105 (4/14/06)
* Fix problem with loading default tokens via webstart

Build 104 (4/14/06)
* Introduce default token set
* Performance tweak for token dragging
* Make draw tool toggles more distinct when pressed

Of particular interest is the new default tokens, and the performance tweak to the dragging. Please check those out and let me know how it goes. The default tokens will automatically show up when you don't have a $userhome/.maptool directory, which basically means if you've never started maptool before.

To install the default tokens without deleting your .maptool directory, use the Help->Restore Default Images menu item.

Thanks for the good testing everyone !

HI Trevor!

I played a bit with the new release. The increase in Token speed is very impressive! I can't wait to test it in the "server/client" mode to see if it helped there as well (will keep you posted on that).

Good job!!!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks ! Let me know now your testing goes :)

Mr.Ice
RPTools Team

new screenshots

Post by Mr.Ice »

New screenshots are up with a decent (pretty) map.

Check out the main page and the Developer version documentation.

chrobry
Cave Troll

Re: new screenshots

Post by chrobry »

Mr.Ice wrote:New screenshots are up with a decent (pretty) map.

Check out the main page and the Developer version documentation.
Sweet!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Now THAT's a nice picture Mr Ice ! I don't suppose the map is freely distributable ?

trevor

Post by trevor »

Although, when I click on the picture, I don't get a blown up version of it.

chrobry
Cave Troll

So I test it LAN connection.

Post by chrobry »

trevor wrote:Thanks ! Let me know now your testing goes :)
So I did a bit of testing. Over LAN the time between moving the token, and that being reflected on another machine is about 2-3 seconds. that's a bit better then last time, by about a second or two.

Not quite sure why there is a such a long delay on LAN (its 56G Wireless BTW not 100TX). However I don't see it as being a big deal.

Return to “Announcements”