MapTool 1.3 Bugfix Build 72 / 73

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

nortonweb
Cave Troll

Re: MapTool 1.3 Bugfix Build 72 / 73

Post by nortonweb »

I ran with 73 last night and I kept getting an error. I kept clicking closed and everything was grand. I was running and hosting and no-one else reported the error. Over the evening I narrowed it down to when someone was typing and I was doing something else. I also normally have the alert bell and didn't hear it so its linked to that. Early in the evening I think it caused mapTool to hang and in turn hang the whole machine needing a restart to clear memory (yes yes windows xp ftl!). Near the end of the evening (while the players were discussing) I tried turning off the sound notification (should have done that first but I was running so had other things on my mind and as no players were seeing it I just kept clicking close and got on with the show) and I think that stopped the errors. The session went late so I haven't had a chance to test further. Oh I also had vent running...

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread
at java.lang.Thread.start0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Thread.start(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.addIfUnderMaximumPoolSize(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.execute(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.AbstractExecutorService.submit(Unknown Source)
at net.rptools.lib.sound.SoundPlayer.play(SoundPlayer.java:81)
at net.rptools.lib.sound.SoundPlayer.play(SoundPlayer.java:44)
at net.rptools.lib.sound.SoundManager.playSoundEvent(SoundManager.java:91)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.MapTool.playSound(MapTool.java:333)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.commandpanel.MessagePanel$5.run(MessagePanel.java:234)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.swing.MapToolEventQueue.dispatchEvent(MapToolEventQueue.java:24)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Dialog$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Dialog$3.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.awt.Dialog.show(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.show(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.setVisible(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Window.setVisible(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Dialog.setVisible(Unknown Source)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.swing.MapToolEventQueue.dispatchEvent(MapToolEventQueue.java:33)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

What memory settings do you use? That is an out-of-memory error (obviously) and the most frequent appearances of that have been when the stack size on MapTool has been very high (usually 8-10 or higher stack size), since a high stack eats up memory very fast.

nortonweb
Cave Troll

Post by nortonweb »

That could be it I had my stack at 8 as I was playing about making some overly complex macros :) blush...

cool... many thanks Rumble ... mental note to reset my stack after experimenting... or buy more memory :D

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

Overall our run last Friday went smoothly. We encountered a couple of anomalies I thought I would mention.

1) ___ is Typing. We got a lot of "is Typing" messages with no name in the box.

2) AoE Templates wobbling. I needed to draw many cones (had some nice sonic "breath" weapon critters :-) ) and found really wonky behavior from the cone template tool. I would start drawing it and drag out the cone to size it, and then it would start hopping all over the screen. When I would click to place it, it would paint based on the starting location, but it was hard to work with to get it to the correct size with it warping all over. I am unable to re-create this as I sit here today, maybe my mouse was just wonky?

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

lmarkus001 wrote:Overall our run last Friday went smoothly. We encountered a couple of anomalies I thought I would mention.

2) AoE Templates wobbling. I needed to draw many cones (had some nice sonic "breath" weapon critters :-) ) and found really wonky behavior from the cone template tool. I would start drawing it and drag out the cone to size it, and then it would start hopping all over the screen. When I would click to place it, it would paint based on the starting location, but it was hard to work with to get it to the correct size with it warping all over. I am unable to re-create this as I sit here today, maybe my mouse was just wonky?
I see a lot of those "blank" is Typing messages; do you use Ventrilo? It seemed to happen more when doing push-to-talk stuff, even though it shouldn't trigger unless the cursor is in the text box itself. That is a mystery.

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

lmarkus001 wrote: 2) AoE Templates wobbling. I needed to draw many cones (had some nice sonic "breath" weapon critters :-) ) and found really wonky behavior from the cone template tool. I would start drawing it and drag out the cone to size it, and then it would start hopping all over the screen. When I would click to place it, it would paint based on the starting location, but it was hard to work with to get it to the correct size with it warping all over. I am unable to re-create this as I sit here today, maybe my mouse was just wonky?
Second that with 4E's "blast" drawing (with square grid on). The map was huge (big JPEG) with poor definition. I'll ask the DM wich grid size he used but I think it was 15px or less.
"Aiming" a square to draw the blast was kinda hard : the "mouse" square kept moving.
ImageImageImageImage

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

Rumble wrote:I see a lot of those "blank" is Typing messages; do you use Ventrilo? It seemed to happen more when doing push-to-talk stuff, even though it shouldn't trigger unless the cursor is in the text box itself. That is a mystery.
I have these as well. I have them when i test locally, no other networking software running (well .. aeh.. maybe a browser).

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

CoveredInFish wrote:
Rumble wrote:I see a lot of those "blank" is Typing messages; do you use Ventrilo? It seemed to happen more when doing push-to-talk stuff, even though it shouldn't trigger unless the cursor is in the text box itself. That is a mystery.
I have these as well. I have them when i test locally, no other networking software running (well .. aeh.. maybe a browser).
Okay, there's some glitch in there - something in MapTool is firing an event that appears as typing but has no player name associated? Or more likely, a bug in the code that generates the list of people typing - so if two players are typing, it's putting up 3 lines, one of which is not actually anyone typing (an off-by-one error somewhere, maybe). Weird.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

lmarkus001 wrote:Overall our run last Friday went smoothly. We encountered a couple of anomalies I thought I would mention.

Rumble, here's what mine looks like. It's pretty clear that the username field is empty -- you can even see the extra space in front of "is typing":
Screen shot 2010-08-29 at 2.41.29 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-08-29 at 2.41.29 PM.png (29.46 KiB) Viewed 2290 times
I believe the problem is going to be synchronization of the threads that are accessing the data. For example, perhaps the typing notification thread is dumping data directly into a structure somewhere while the structure is being processed by the Swing event thread? Moving the changing into a SwingWorker would solve it.
2) AoE Templates wobbling.
I've seen the same thing and I thought it was my optical mouse as well. Since it appears that it's happening to others, I'm guessing a code patch must be accidentally modifying one of the (x,y) variables from the MouseEvent parameter. I guess the thing to do is determine which build it started happening with (b70, b72, b73) and then we can compare the patches that were committed for that build to locate the error. It's also possible that a visual inspection of the code would be enough to find it...

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Yeah, that's the same thing I'm seeing. However, that's really jfrazierjr's baby now - the basic detection element was my work but he implemented the lion's share of the queued display stuff, so I don't know how to fix it.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Azhrei wrote:
Rumble, here's what mine looks like. It's pretty clear that the username field is empty -- you can even see the extra space in front of "is typing":
Screen shot 2010-08-29 at 2.41.29 PM.png
I believe the problem is going to be synchronization of the threads that are accessing the data. For example, perhaps the typing notification thread is dumping data directly into a structure somewhere while the structure is being processed by the Swing event thread? Moving the changing into a SwingWorker would solve it.
EDIT STUFF....

EEEKK... Ok.. So your right. I just noticed that I put this into the wrong place in the clientMethodHandler. Or rather, I "think" I just edited what Rumble had to call the new function name instead of Rumble's original one. So, lines 97-99 need to be moved after line 116.

Azhrei, let me know if you will do this or if you would rather me send a patch.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

jfrazierjr wrote:EEEKK... Ok.. So your right.
Heh-heh...
I'd much prefer a patch. Way to easy for me to fat-finger it and screw it up. :)

Please use either an email or PM, since that way I can record the patches that arrive (email is best but no attachments allowed through the forum, then PM is next best).

Gringoire
Cave Troll

Post by Gringoire »

There are problems with templates (burst cone etc.)

I can't explain good in english, but i will try...

the center of template floats around during drawing...
La nuova Era - Sito italiano dedicato a MapTool e D&D 4th edition.
Gringoire's FrameWork Il primo e unico FrameWork completamente italiano, sviluppato da un italiano.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Gringoire wrote:There are problems with templates (burst cone etc.)

I can't explain good in english, but i will try...

the center of template floats around during drawing...
Works fine for me. Your Control key may be stuck. By design, if you hold the Control key while drawing your templates, you can move them around.
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

jfrazierjr wrote:EEEKK... Ok.. So your right. I just noticed that I put this into the wrong place in the clientMethodHandler. Or rather, I "think" I just edited what Rumble had to call the new function name instead of Rumble's original one. So, lines 97-99 need to be moved after line 116.

Probably my fault, putting the original methods in the wrong half of clientMethodHandler. I'm very glad there are people who know more about this than me. :D

Return to “Announcements”