MapTool 1.3 Bugfix Build 74

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

Kzintzi
Giant

Re: MapTool 1.3 Bugfix Build 74

Post by Kzintzi »

jfrazierjr wrote:Export Map->
-----MTMap Format
-----JPEG

As menu items and sub items.
What he said :)

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

LeopoldVonRanke wrote:Saving the Campaign itself, as expected = "Save Campaign"
Saving the Map Data for Re-Import into other Campaigns = "Export Map" (immediately clear, I think), and, respectively,
Loading Map Data into a Campaign = "Import Map"
Saving the entire Map as Image file for usage elsewhere = "Save Map as Image"
Saving a screenshot = "Save Current Map View as Image"
Perfect terminology and menu options.

LeopoldVonRanke
Giant

Post by LeopoldVonRanke »

Thanks Phergus.
Kzintzi wrote:
jfrazierjr wrote:Export Map->
-----MTMap Format
-----JPEG

As menu items and sub items.
What he said :)
I still think that is too obscure for non-power users. When you save your map as a JPEG, you are only exporting a part of your map, the current graphic state, but none of the map-pertaining information (token properties et c.). It is not intuitive to lump graphic state saving and actual file export together into a menu, though I concede it has the advantage of reducing top menu points and deepening menu hierarchy.

Furthermore, stating the graphic format would require a changing of the menu item again if MapTool would allow additional formats (bmp,png,tiff, etc.) in the future. I would therefore just call it "image" and be done with it.

In danger of repeating myself, but for intuity's sake (and Adobe and Mac OS tradition) I still much prefer:
  • Saving the Campaign itself = "Save Campaign"
    Saving the Map Data for Re-Import into other Campaigns = "Export Map"
    Loading Map Data into Campaign = "Import Map"
    Saving the entire Map as Image file for usage elsewhere = "Save Map as Image"
    Saving a screenshot = "Save Current Map View as Image"
As a compromise, the last two could be combined into a menu/submenu branch, as suggested by Kzintzi and jfrazierjr:
Saving map as image => "Save Map Image" Submenus: "Save Entire Map as Image", "Save Current Map View as Image"

I don't think that is needed though. Having 5 menu points instead of 4 is not exactly massive clutter.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now using Dolby Axon for RPG sessions.
(Forget Skype. Put your players into a 3D sound environment.)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jshock
Dragon

Post by Jshock »

Tried hunting for the elusive template jitter today in b74. Didn't find it, but I did find a couple of other things:

1) You can't draw a template with a radius bigger than 30 grid units. I personally can't think of a game that would use anything close to that, but it did strike me as arbitrary.

2) if you use shift-click with a template to erase a previously made template, it doesn't work 100%; you sometimes get outlines of the old template left behind (though erase all drawings gets rid of them).

Raoden
Dragon

Post by Raoden »

Jshock wrote:Tried hunting for the elusive template jitter today in b74. Didn't find it, but I did find a couple of other things:

1) You can't draw a template with a radius bigger than 30 grid units. I personally can't think of a game that would use anything close to that, but it did strike me as arbitrary.

2) if you use shift-click with a template to erase a previously made template, it doesn't work 100%; you sometimes get outlines of the old template left behind (though erase all drawings gets rid of them).
The template tool, sadly, has always been pretty buggy in ways similar to what you mention here as (2).
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed."
- G. K. Chesterton

Wonderful HTML/CSS reference * Color Manager * Token Manager 2.0

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

I've committed the patches I've received against b74 into SVN for b75. Those of you with Eclipse and source access may want to update and do some testing. I'm going to add to the ChangeLog in the wiki momentarily... I expect to put b75 out this evening or tomorrow evening.

warpoet
Kobold

Post by warpoet »

You know how in games like Starcraft you can select several characters ("tokens") and then assign them all to a number by hitting something like Ctrl-1 or Ctrl-2...then when you hit 1 or 2, that entire group is auto-selected? If this is already a part of Maptool, I'm going to feel silly. But if not, that would be very awesome to include. Especially for DMs/GMs who are moving a lot of different groups of tokens around.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Azhrei wrote:I've committed the patches I've received against b74 into SVN for b75. Those of you with Eclipse and source access may want to update and do some testing. I'm going to add to the ChangeLog in the wiki momentarily... I expect to put b75 out this evening or tomorrow evening.
Will you get my fix for Phergus and Dorpond's issue? I also have a few updates to tokenMove.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

warpoet wrote:You know how in games like Starcraft you can select several characters ("tokens") and then assign them all to a number by hitting something like Ctrl-1 or Ctrl-2...then when you hit 1 or 2, that entire group is auto-selected? If this is already a part of Maptool, I'm going to feel silly. But if not, that would be very awesome to include. Especially for DMs/GMs who are moving a lot of different groups of tokens around.
This is not a standard UI supported feature but should be possible to do easily by macro. If you need help to do so I'll be here to whack something together...

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

CoveredInFish wrote:
warpoet wrote:You know how in games like Starcraft you can select several characters ("tokens") and then assign them all to a number by hitting something like Ctrl-1 or Ctrl-2...then when you hit 1 or 2, that entire group is auto-selected? If this is already a part of Maptool, I'm going to feel silly. But if not, that would be very awesome to include. Especially for DMs/GMs who are moving a lot of different groups of tokens around.
This is not a standard UI supported feature but should be possible to do easily by macro. If you need help to do so I'll be here to whack something together...
that's actually a grand idea and can indeed be done with macros. I'm currently struggling with this matter of different factions running around on a map and how to keep track of them. but this is a good one.
to elaborate a bit:
1. you can assign short-cut keys to macros (I don't know if ctrl+1 is an option, I thought only the F1 keys, so ctrl+F1)
2. you can put macros onto a lib:token: setSet1,2,3, etc. and getSet1,2,3 etc.
3. you can create a specific properties set for that lib:token e.g. set1, set2, set3 etc.
4. you can use getSelectedNames() and store that value into set1, etc in the setSet macro (run with ctrl+F1)
5. you can use selectTokens(set1) and goto(listGet(set1,1)) to select and centre onto that group with getSet macro (run with F1)
and your good to go!

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

jfrazierjr wrote:Will you get my fix for Phergus and Dorpond's issue? I also have a few updates to tokenMove.
Sorry, I haven't been paying much attention lately. Please specify which "issue" you're referring to...? (The latest patch I have from you is dated Sept 2nd. If there something more recent, please send it along.)

If you have updates to other sections of code, please send'em. I'll try to get b75 out Tuesday night but I've got a couple of business-related things that need to be done before close-of-business on Wednesday.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

jfrazierjr wrote:Will you get my fix for Phergus and Dorpond's issue? I also have a few updates to tokenMove.
Got your patch, Joe; it's been applied and will be in b75. It does look like those changes will take care of the IndividualViews thing not working. :?

Edit: Not working 100%. When I switch to PlayerView (without a server running), there are some changes to the map, but the solid fog doesn't come up until I zoom in/out using the mouse wheel. Could it be that Ctrl-Shift-P is calling a repaint method before it sets up everything needed by the renderer...? I guess comparing the re-rendering process used by Ctrl-Shift-P with the one used by the mouse wheel might show why one displays properly and the other doesn't...?

Wanted to get b75 out this evening, but working against a deadline. Now I'm shooting for tomorrow evening. :|

skester
Giant

Post by skester »

using Build 74 I'm noticing a lot that when I load a campaign, not everything shows up on the map initially, but if I zoom in or out then everything pops up.

First time I've experienced that. Minor, except for the slight panic the 1st time it happened.

skester

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

skester wrote:using Build 74 I'm noticing a lot that when I load a campaign, not everything shows up on the map initially, but if I zoom in or out then everything pops up.
+1. Happened several times.

Return to “Announcements”