MapTool 1.3 Bugfix Build 75

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

LaserWolf
Dragon

Re: MapTool 1.3 Bugfix Build 75

Post by LaserWolf »

dorpond wrote: Do you know what version this broke?
It was OK in b70 but broken in b74 - I didn't use any builds in between so I can't help more than that. I've only noticed the problem when server and client are active - I couldn't reproduce it on my own. (That part doesn't make much sense to me.) The server is started with all options checked. The campaign file we've been using was created pre-b70 (but has since been saved in b70 and b74 - this was the first time using it in b75).

I myself use a Logitech Wired Laser Mouse (RX1500) and I have experienced the issue on my end.

Jshock
Dragon

Post by Jshock »

I've encountered this in b74 (haven't tried b75 yet); no problems if I'm running offline, but when I'm on someone else's game I'll see it. Logitech LX8 on Vista if it means anything.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

All my testing was done on the same PC. Perhaps I'll get a test server up tonight and we can test. Let's hope my 2 week old cooperates :)
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I have a test server up to test the template issue. Hopefully the server works because the "test connection" button is gone ;)

1.3B75 Server: DorpondTest
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Test server down: Saw issue loud and clearly. This is bad, very bad. I'll bring this up with the team and try to narrow it down a bit more.

The last test, I could have sworn that everything was working fine until Joe started typing. I'll have to investigate that further.

Things I did test to try and narrow it down, but nothing seemed to matter:
Adjusted grid - no difference
Adjusted map - no difference
Adjusted Map board - no difference
Tried, square, hex and no grid maps - all did it.
The Drawing tool itself, snapped to grid on, is uneffected and works fine.

If I drew and paused 1 sec, it would jump up. One map it jumped to the 10 position, on other maps it jumped near the 12 position.

Odd...

[Edit: The problem seems to surface when a client starts typing in chat. If nobody ever types in chat, issue never surfaces. Once one person starts typing, issue appears and is there for the extent of the game]

Merkuri
Giant

Post by Merkuri »

dorpond wrote:[Edit: The problem seems to surface when a client starts typing in chat. If nobody ever types in chat, issue never surfaces. Once one person starts typing, issue appears and is there for the extent of the game]
Could it have anything to do with the drawing of the "x is typing" notification window?
Adventure is not outside; it is within.
--Found in a fortune cookie on game night

MapTool Framework for Sufficiently Advanced

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Though I can't see how (other than a core java issue), I will play with the variable names in the typing notification to get rid of x and y, length and width which are common variable names and in some VERY odd way might end up clashing. If this is the case, it is a bug in java though(which I really doubt it is!)

Will do some testing tonight perhaps and may send a patch to you Dorpond.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

JonathanTheBlack
Dragon

Post by JonathanTheBlack »

I had an issue come up in last nights game. One player out of five could not use any macro's that used my attack roll script, regardless of how high or low he set his stack size. No other player, nor myself had this issue and all attack macro's use the same library token.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

I'm not sure if this is a new bug in build 75 (not sure if it ever happened before?) but...

I was just importing some maps and any token that had a ' or " in the GM Notes had that character replaced with a � (forum may strip the special character but it was a black diamond with a ? in it).

I opened a campaign file using b75 that was saved in b70, and imported it using b75. (so maps were newly exported and not old exports). I tried using a replace command on a macro but of course, it can't find the � character and returns with the error: Dangling meta character '?' near index 0 ? ^
-Jamz

skester
Giant

Post by skester »

My players reported the ' and " being replaced with the black diamond ? thing too.

Skester

LeopoldVonRanke
Giant

Post by LeopoldVonRanke »

JamzTheMan wrote:I was just importing some maps and any token that had a ' or " in the GM Notes had that character replaced with a � (forum may strip the special character but it was a black diamond with a ? in it).
I opened a campaign file using b75 that was saved in b70, and imported it using b75. (so maps were newly exported and not old exports). I tried using a replace command on a macro but of course, it can't find the � character and returns with the error: Dangling meta character '?' near index 0 ? ^
This ought to do with the fact that there now seems more UTF-8 support since,uh, b72, I think? Files that were not in UTF-8 text encoding before might screw up all their non-ASCII characters, and be replaced by that "�" symbol (I think this symbol is displayed by Java for all non-properly-defined characters). The good news is this will probably not happen again, because now, when you type your non-ASCII characters in, they should be properly retained and transfer across the net, whereas previously they were not guaranteed to work cross varying platform and languages. The bad news is, it is a pain in the lower back to repair this. I'm afraid you might have to repair it by hand.

That's at least my understanding of the issue...

(On the bright side, be happy your main NPC demon god isn't called Çáñüéßå (Speak Ssunyoo-Ess-O), because he would now be �������.... ;-)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now using Dolby Axon for RPG sessions.
(Forget Skype. Put your players into a 3D sound environment.)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Actually, the apostrophe and double quote (character codes x27 and x22, respectively) will not be replaced.

What was actually in your notes section was some other character and the switch to using UTF-8 for everything probably is what caused the problem. The old (default) character encoding was probably different so when the data is read in now it gets treated as UTF-8 and appears as the "error" symbol. This happens when people copy/paste from a PDF or a word processor -- both of them tend to replace the simple ASCII characters with the more complex locale-encoded characters.

In the future, pasting non-ASCII codes will work properly. You see that symbol because the data was pasted when the character encoding was different.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Azhrei wrote:Actually, the apostrophe and double quote (character codes x27 and x22, respectively) will not be replaced.

What was actually in your notes section was some other character and the switch to using UTF-8 for everything probably is what caused the problem. The old (default) character encoding was probably different so when the data is read in now it gets treated as UTF-8 and appears as the "error" symbol. This happens when people copy/paste from a PDF or a word processor -- both of them tend to replace the simple ASCII characters with the more complex locale-encoded characters.

In the future, pasting non-ASCII codes will work properly. You see that symbol because the data was pasted when the character encoding was different.
Ya, when you're right you are right :)

Most likely they were cut/pastes from a PDF. Is there anyway to replace them via macro? ie catching ANY character that doesn't match? Like a "if not ascii character then replace"?
-Jamz

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Hm. Perhaps using a regex. I haven't played with it at all to be honest.

The simplest thing might be to use an editor that executes in the encoding of the original document and use it to replace the characters using a global search and replace function directly against the XML data inside the campaign file... If you put in ASCII standard characters then saving the document (in the original encoding) would work correctly when the file is next loaded by MT since those characters are the same in all encodings. :)

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

just curious about the general state of things:
-is this the last 1.3 build, or are there some things left for a b76?
-when you have decided to go for 1.4, does that mean a big lock goes on 1.3bFinal and any bugs, small changes etc. will be in the first release of 1.4?
- will the first release of 1.4 be 'the next incremental step after 1.3bFinal with one or two new feats, or will you go for a big overhaul?
-and when the 1.4 build is started how long do you think it will take for build 1?

I know you can't predict the future but, I think its a safe assumption that you have had discussion about what to do in 1.4 and how to start...

On the whole: you lot are doing a bang of a job!! my deepest thanks for the huge effort you put in this. Keep up the good job!!

Return to “Announcements”