MapTool 1.2 Development Release Build 20

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

MapTool 1.2 Development Release Build 20

Post by trevor »

The "Just very almost nearly the Release Candidate, and just in time for iCon" release:

Build 20
* Changes to the AutoSaveManager to avoid concurrent modification errors
* Render the black quickmap behind bounded maps in an attempt to fix the occasional flicker
* Change "/goto x,y" macro to center on cell x,y and not zone point x,y
* New menu item: Map->Rename
* Use correct topology adjustment colors when creating topology with polyline and polygon tool
* Make vision work the same when using fog and when not using fog (for hiding opponent tokens)
* Don't disconnect players when they click the close window button until after they confirm closure
* Fix bug: don't show empty hover when player hovers over marker that only has GM notes
* Speed up campaign loading and saving
* Order markers so that you'll always see the notes for the topmost stamp
* Only show hovers when you click on them
* Mousing over a marker will turn the pointer into a hand icon, and show the marker name in the status bar
* Potential fix for occasional CPU spiking when using vision and fog
* Fix for CPU spike when connecting to server with a dual core processor

(Contributed by galneweinhaw)
* Fix new token naming

Please post bugs you find or tweaks you think should be implemented directly in this post

Thanks all, have fun !
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

WOOHOO! It is here! :D

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

This might be a silly question, but is there a way for people to connect to the server only as lurkers? Meaning they have no ability to add tokens or chat or move the map?
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

trevor

Post by trevor »

Unfortunately I was not able to get an observer mode in by iCon :(

Instead, if you want, you could set up something like yugma.com where people can remotely connect up to your session and just observe. Don't even have to install anything.

ltwally
Cave Troll

Fog of War

Post by ltwally »

What about an improved vision / fog-of-war system?

It would be absolutely awesome if the Vision automatically Exposed the area within its range. As it is, you have to enable the Exposure, and then repeatedly do it every time the token moves. It also leaves your old location revealed... Honestly, and I mean this as constructive criticism: it isn't worth using for my group.

What I'd like to be able to do is:
1) Have each player with a set vision distance. This area would not be specific to one certain corner, but would radiate equally from all corners of the token's grid.
2) This area would automatically expose the Fog Of War within its area, but ONLY for that player!
3) The DM should have an outline shown on his screen, denoting each player's vision.
4) This area would automatically move with the player, updating that player's view as the token is moved.
5) After having moved a token, the old area that was revealed in the Fog Of War should be once again hiden from the player. Perhaps leaving the background, but not tokens and such.
6) It would also be cool if there were an option to have objects that radiate light automatically peel back the Fog Of War.

I know it's probably a tall order... but it seems to me those are the basics of a good Fog of War / Vision system. For moonlit nights in an open field, it's not that usefull. But for dungeon-crawls in the dark? Something like this would be invaluable for players and DM's alike.

I don't have the java skill to help code it... but is there some other way I could help out?

-ltwally

Phergus
Deity

Re: Fog of War

Post by Phergus »

ltwally wrote:As it is, you have to enable the Exposure, and then repeatedly do it every time the token moves. It also leaves your old location revealed...
There used to be an option for only displaying the current area but it went away for some reason leaving only the options that I don't need.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

NPE when pasting token without GM name:

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
at net.rptools.maptool.model.Zone.getTokenByGMName(Zone.java:533)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.MapToolUtil.nextTokenId(MapToolUtil.java:151)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.AppActions$13.execute(AppActions.java:466)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.AppActions$ClientAction.actionPerformed(AppActions.java:1638)
at javax.swing.SwingUtilities.notifyAction(Unknown Source)

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

When Token Numbering is set to either "GM" or "Both", the number overwrites the GM name in pasted tokens.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Phergus wrote:
ltwally wrote:As it is, you have to enable the Exposure, and then repeatedly do it every time the token moves. It also leaves your old location revealed...
There used to be an option for only displaying the current area but it went away for some reason leaving only the options that I don't need.
It is still there.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

dorpond wrote:
Phergus wrote:There used to be an option for only displaying the current area but it went away for some reason leaving only the options that I don't need.
It is still there.
Don't see it when I create a new campaign but it does show up when I load old ones.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Phergus wrote:NPE when pasting token without GM name:

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
at net.rptools.maptool.model.Zone.getTokenByGMName(Zone.java:533)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.MapToolUtil.nextTokenId(MapToolUtil.java:151)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.AppActions$13.execute(AppActions.java:466)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.AppActions$ClientAction.actionPerformed(AppActions.java:1638)
at javax.swing.SwingUtilities.notifyAction(Unknown Source)
This has been fixed and will be in a patch build tonight

trevor

Post by trevor »

Phergus wrote:
dorpond wrote:
Phergus wrote:There used to be an option for only displaying the current area but it went away for some reason leaving only the options that I don't need.
It is still there.
Don't see it when I create a new campaign but it does show up when I load old ones.
This option is only available when you click on a "PC" token

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

trevor wrote:
Phergus wrote:
dorpond wrote: It is still there.
This option is only available when you click on a "PC" token
Nope. It's there whether the token is NPC or PC on an old campaign but not there no matter what setting the token is with a brand new one campaign.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

trevor wrote:This option is only available when you click on a "PC" token
Actually it is tied to Ownership. Any owner will do.

Setting a token to PC vs NPC doesn't have an effect on vision. Which begs the question what does the PC/NPC setting affect?

trevor

Post by trevor »

Phergus wrote: Setting a token to PC vs NPC doesn't have an effect on vision. Which begs the question what does the PC/NPC setting affect?
This is an in-progress feature. It will basically suplant the "all" ownership indicator, and as time goes on the distinction between the two types will become more defined (such as possible rendering the labels different between NPC and PC)

Return to “Announcements”