MapTool 1.3 Bugfix Build 77

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

Phergus
Deity

Re: MapTool 1.3 Bugfix Build 77

Post by Phergus »

I'd be curious as to where the GUID that was passed via the parameters array came from. If getZone() fails with that GUID then the fault my lie further back up the chain.

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

I have had some instances where the "Visible to Owners Only" flag is not saved when the campaign is saved/reloaded. I will keep monitoring and see if I can get a verifiable example case and then post a bug report.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Yes, we would definitely like to see that! Lindsay, if you ever load a campaign and the VtOO flag isn't on and should be, a copy of that campaign file would be great!

Thanks.

LaserWolf
Dragon

Post by LaserWolf »

Ran into a rather big issue today, but I haven't figured out how to replicate it yet. However, one of my players (who is the GM of another MapTool game) mentioned that he had a similar issue very recently so maybe it's really something. It involves copying tokens.

I was unable to copy tokens using META-C or the token right-click menu at some point during my game (incidentally it was also the first time I intentionally attempted to copy tokens during this session). Paste would work, but would result in a different (possibly old clipboard) token being pasted. Eventually I was successful at copying using the Edit drop-down menu, but a lot happened before then. Here's the rundown of things that were going on:
  • I was running a server with several clients connected
  • I was attempting to copy a group of tokens (aggregated with SHIFT-click), although also tried copying single tokens.
  • The token that was (undesirably) pasted was recently dropped from the Library pane to the map.
  • I was copying and pasting a lot of text from a PDF document to the chat window
  • At some point - while attempting to copy and paste text - a copy of the token in question appeared at a different place on the map. I can't guarantee that I didn't somehow do this myself while flipping back and forth between applications, but I don't think I did. My players presumably couldn't have done it, as Strict Token Ownership was enforced.
  • I was attempting to copy the tokens from an old campaign file into a new one (while the game was running). [This may be a red herring, as it definitely wasn't the case for the other GM]
  • Opening a second instance of Maptool with the old campaign file didn't help. The result of the Paste was still the same token.
  • Windows 7 Pro 32, Java 1.6.0_22, running with 1024/64/2. Was not aware of any memory issues.
Anyway, this one was kind of a showstopper and I know copyToken() was recently tweaked so I thought I'd post this here just in case. (I didn't make any specific calls to copyToken() this session)

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Laserwolf, can you tell us what your setting were when you started the server? For example, were you using the new individual fow?
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

LaserWolf wrote:Ran into a rather big issue today, but I haven't figured out how to replicate it yet. However, one of my players (who is the GM of another MapTool game) mentioned that he had a similar issue very recently so maybe it's really something. It involves copying tokens.

I was unable to copy tokens using META-C or the token right-click menu at some point during my game (incidentally it was also the first time I intentionally attempted to copy tokens during this session). Paste would work, but would result in a different (possibly old clipboard) token being pasted. Eventually I was successful at copying using the Edit drop-down menu, but a lot happened before then. Here's the rundown of things that were going on:
  • I was running a server with several clients connected
  • I was attempting to copy a group of tokens (aggregated with SHIFT-click), although also tried copying single tokens.
  • The token that was (undesirably) pasted was recently dropped from the Library pane to the map.
  • I was copying and pasting a lot of text from a PDF document to the chat window
  • At some point - while attempting to copy and paste text - a copy of the token in question appeared at a different place on the map. I can't guarantee that I didn't somehow do this myself while flipping back and forth between applications, but I don't think I did. My players presumably couldn't have done it, as Strict Token Ownership was enforced.
  • I was attempting to copy the tokens from an old campaign file into a new one (while the game was running). [This may be a red herring, as it definitely wasn't the case for the other GM]
  • Opening a second instance of Maptool with the old campaign file didn't help. The result of the Paste was still the same token.
  • Windows 7 Pro 32, Java 1.6.0_22, running with 1024/64/2. Was not aware of any memory issues.
Anyway, this one was kind of a showstopper and I know copyToken() was recently tweaked so I thought I'd post this here just in case. (I didn't make any specific calls to copyToken() this session)
The way copy/paste works was changed to support the individual FOW feature. The changes were fairly minor though.

First things first: copy/paste from one instance of maptool is not supposed to work. If it ever did work that way, I would be VERY surprised. The whole copy thing is NOTHING like a normal copy action which you can normally do with text and such from one application to another.

If you wish to copy from one campaign to another, the correct way to do this is the save the token as an rptok file and then import to the new campaign. The problem with this approach is that the resource library is NOT refreshed except during startup. Soooooo.... this means you have to do this before you start up the instance of Maptool where you want the target token to be inserted.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

LaserWolf
Dragon

Post by LaserWolf »

@dorpond The server was started with all options and sub-options enabled (including Individual Fog)

@jfrazier I copy tokens from one campaign file to another all the time when building my campaign files (offline) and it has worked seamlessly to this point. That said, when it failed copying tokens didn't work even within the same map, and when it worked (using the Edit drop-down) it worked across campaigns. At that point all the players had saved their tokens to their respective computers, though (in preparation to drop them into the new campaign). I don't know if that would've made a difference. After it worked once it seemed to work normally (even with META-C) afterwards, although I didn't test it extensively.

I don't know if I've ever had a successful copy from one instance of MT to another. I was just trying whatever I could.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

LaserWolf wrote:@jfrazier I copy tokens from one campaign file to another all the time when building my campaign files (offline) and it has worked seamlessly to this point. [...] I don't know if I've ever had a successful copy from one instance of MT to another. I was just trying whatever I could.
Because of these two statements, I'm assuming you're talking about using Edit>Copy and then loading a new campaign, followed by Edit>Paste? (Or the equivalent keystrokes.)

Hm. I suppose that should work. The way the copy/paste is implemented in MT is that the tokens are copied to a holding area. That holding area is not explicitly initialized when a new campaign is loaded, so that's why I think your copy/load/paste would probably work.
That said, when it failed copying tokens didn't work even within the same map, and when it worked (using the Edit drop-down) it worked across campaigns.
Please check your .maptool/log.txt file, as I'm expecting a failure would have produced an exception trace.
After it worked once it seemed to work normally (even with META-C) afterwards, although I didn't test it extensively.
If it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, there must be some kind of state being saved by MT that is affecting the copy/paste. But I can't think of anything off-hand. Since Joe had to tweak those functions recently he's probably more familiar with the code than I am currently so I'll let him field these questions. :)

LaserWolf
Dragon

Post by LaserWolf »

Azhrei wrote:Because of these two statements, I'm assuming you're talking about using Edit>Copy and then loading a new campaign, followed by Edit>Paste? (Or the equivalent keystrokes.)
Right, usually Ctrl-C / Ctrl-V. I was pleasantly surprised when it worked the first time I tried it, and have been using it since. It's been a real time-saver.
Please check your .maptool/log.txt file, as I'm expecting a failure would have produced an exception trace.
No log entries at all from that session. There was no indication whatsoever that the copy failed, other than the wrong token appearing at the end of the paste.

aku
Dragon

Post by aku »

Is there any chance that it was user error? i.e. you thought you hit meta-c but missed? or didnt actually make contact? indication such as it being the LAST token you copied, instead of the new one?

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

*Testing Results*
I loaded up 1.3b63 in two session and opened up two different campaigns. I tried to copy tokens from campaign1 and paste them into campaign2, and it didn't work. Doesn't do anything. Even the paste option is greyed out.

So if it didn't work in 1.3b63, I don't think we intentionally added that copy/paste ability so it may just be a side affect.
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

dorpond wrote:*Testing Results*
I loaded up 1.3b63 in two session and opened up two different campaigns. I tried to copy tokens from campaign1 and paste them into campaign2, and it didn't work. Doesn't do anything. Even the paste option is greyed out.

So if it didn't work in 1.3b63, I don't think we intentionally added that copy/paste ability so it may just be a side affect.
Yes.. that is correct. The copy/paste action does NOT use the system (OS X/Linux/Windows) clipboard and as Azhrei stated the copied data is internal to maptool only. This means as you surmised, it will never copy from one Maptool instance to another Maptool instance.

After rereading, I believe the original poster was copying campaign A, copying, opening campaign B, pasting... all from within a single Maptool instance. I just had to reinstall linux after a failed upgrade attempt, so it will be a day or three before I can do any testing.

@Laserwolf: if you can reproduce any issues, the BEST thing to do is to write down your steps for each test you make. Then close Maptool, and reproduce using ONLY the steps and nothing else(ie, follow the steps as if this were the first time you used Maptool and someone had written the directions down for you.)
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

jfrazierjr wrote: After rereading, I believe the original poster was copying campaign A, copying, opening campaign B, pasting... all from within a single Maptool instance. I just had to reinstall linux after a failed upgrade attempt, so it will be a day or three before I can do any testing.
OK, Yes, I just tested in b63 and this works. I am able to copy from campaign1 and paste the tokens into campaign2 - both of which were opened in the same instance.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

dorpond wrote:
jfrazierjr wrote: After rereading, I believe the original poster was copying campaign A, copying, opening campaign B, pasting... all from within a single Maptool instance. I just had to reinstall linux after a failed upgrade attempt, so it will be a day or three before I can do any testing.
OK, Yes, I just tested in b63 and this works. I am able to copy from campaign1 and paste the tokens into campaign2 - both of which were opened in the same instance.
Ok.. can you see if that fails in b77 when you get some time please?

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

-I opened campaign1, copied tokens, opened campaign2 and pasted them - worked fine.
-I went back to campaign1 and applied damage to all the same tokens, copied them and pasted them again in Campaign2 - they pasted fine with the updated damage.

So I am not able to reproduce. Need more info.

Return to “Announcements”