MapTool 1.3 Release Candidate Build 81 (1.3-RC4)

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

Craig
Great Wyrm

Re: MapTool 1.3 Release Candidate Build 81 (1.3-RC4)

Post by Craig »

aliasmask wrote:
Craig wrote:
aliasmask wrote: Actually, there is another bug on the list that is about onToken events where if the frame is not visible (on a tab, but not visible), the frame is not updated and the event does not fire. This could be a 2fer fix because they seem somewhat related (sort of). Okay, maybe not.
This was done after a lot of people asked for it to work that way, otherwise these docked frames if they were using autohide would pop open every token move.
I can understand not showing the frame when using auto-hide, but a frame with an event handler, or a frame that is redrawn shouldn't be hiding when tabbed (not auto-hide). Auto-hide makes more sense to not update, or at least not give it focus when updated.
Its a limitation of the docking frame work you can't tell if its not visible because of autohide or not -- its awful frame work to work with-- Trevor has been wanting to change the docking frame work used for a long time now.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Craig wrote:Its a limitation of the docking frame work you can't tell if its not visible because of autohide or not -- its awful frame work to work with-- Trevor has been wanting to change the docking frame work used for a long time now.
I think having the frameFocus(frameName) could resolve the issue without having to fix the problem. I think it would be pretty easy to do as well because you probably already have a built in function for that. It wouldn't do anything for the onToken event handlers, but those frames shouldn't be hidden anyway, unless you specifically don't want to update those frames.

akuma
Kobold

Post by akuma »

I have a mathlib token you can add to your campaign. But it would have been nice if those were added as built in functions.
Yeah, I tried to drag the mathlib token to an empty (new) campaign map, but it gave me an error. I used the version maptool-1.3.b81.zip downloaded from the rptools.net. So as of yet I cannot use math functions and thought that seeing them in an official release as native functions would be nice. :)

akuma
Kobold

Post by akuma »

I'd like to withdraw my previous message as MathLib indeed seems to work in b81 build. :-)

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

Just an update on individual vision/fog of war functionality. I attempted to use the Use Individual FOW functionality on Friday and had failures so had to back out and not use it. Specifically:

I had all of the checkboxes on the Start Server dialog checked (to include: Players can reveal vision, Auto Reveal on Movement, Use Individual Views, Use Individual FOW).

I had my players move to a brand new map (so it had complete fog coverage) that has Night Vision selected. I had them all use the Map Explorer to find their tokens, then try to expose their vision. About 50% of them were unable to expose their vision. I tried to expose their vision for them (selected their token and did a ctrl-i) to no avail. I had them try right clicking and exposing. I tried playing around with the other new right-click FoW options as well. In the end we had to abandon individual FOW as half of my folks could not see.

Unfortunately, they were all remote, and we wanted to be playing, so I did not have any of them share their desktops so I could see if it was a user issue or not. But because it happened to 3 of the 6, I am lead to believe it was a real issue.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

lmarkus001 wrote:Just an update on individual vision/fog of war functionality. I attempted to use the Use Individual FOW functionality on Friday and had failures so had to back out and not use it. Specifically:

I had all of the checkboxes on the Start Server dialog checked (to include: Players can reveal vision, Auto Reveal on Movement, Use Individual Views, Use Individual FOW).

I had my players move to a brand new map (so it had complete fog coverage) that has Night Vision selected. I had them all use the Map Explorer to find their tokens, then try to expose their vision. About 50% of them were unable to expose their vision. I tried to expose their vision for them (selected their token and did a ctrl-i) to no avail. I had them try right clicking and exposing. I tried playing around with the other new right-click FoW options as well. In the end we had to abandon individual FOW as half of my folks could not see.

Unfortunately, they were all remote, and we wanted to be playing, so I did not have any of them share their desktops so I could see if it was a user issue or not. But because it happened to 3 of the 6, I am lead to believe it was a real issue.
Well... there are several possibilities here. I assume you checked them, but would like to verify. Most important is token vision. No vision of course means no reveal. Second is ownership. Since individual FOW is based on Individual Views, if the player does not own the token in question, then they won't see from that token's point of view. My best guess here is that the issue had to do with ownership. Another question (this may have nothing to do with it, but it has been an issue in the past with macros), were the players names the same as the token names they controlled?
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Craig wrote: Its a limitation of the docking frame work you can't tell if its not visible because of autohide or not -- its awful frame work to work with-- Trevor has been wanting to change the docking frame work used for a long time now.
I have not been following along with this problem, so this may be totally unrelated, but Rumble's fix for the macro selection panel refreshing included code to determine if the panel was visible (ie, turned on) as well as in autohide mode as the framework seems to support those abilities.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

jfrazierjr wrote:
Craig wrote: Its a limitation of the docking frame work you can't tell if its not visible because of autohide or not -- its awful frame work to work with-- Trevor has been wanting to change the docking frame work used for a long time now.
I have not been following along with this problem, so this may be totally unrelated, but Rumble's fix for the macro selection panel refreshing included code to determine if the panel was visible (ie, turned on) as well as in autohide mode as the framework seems to support those abilities.
I definitely agree that's as a docking framework it leaves something to be desired. :|

I came across some code recently that did check to see whether a particular panel was visible or not. This same line is used in the Selection panel as well:

Code: Select all

panelVisible = (impersonatePanel.isVisible() && !impersonatePanel.isAutohide()) || impersonatePanel.isAutohideShowing() ? true : false; 
However, while this would be nice to fix I'm not sure it's practical to do so at this point. A fix to this would require at least one or two builds to make sure that all situations are covered without introducing other bugs and I want the next build to be Final...

mfrizzell
Dragon

Post by mfrizzell »

jfrazierjr wrote: Well... there are several possibilities here. I assume you checked them, but would like to verify. Most important is token vision. No vision of course means no reveal. Second is ownership. Since individual FOW is based on Individual Views, if the player does not own the token in question, then they won't see from that token's point of view. My best guess here is that the issue had to do with ownership. Another question (this may have nothing to do with it, but it has been an issue in the past with macros), were the players names the same as the token names they controlled?
Is there an issue with player names being the same as the token names they controlled?
DCI/RPGA# 7208328396 Skype ID mfrizzell77
Characters:
Strabor - Dwarf Avenger 5th Level
Tikkanan - Human Warlock 2nd Level
----------------------------------------------------
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

mfrizzell wrote:
jfrazierjr wrote: Well... there are several possibilities here. I assume you checked them, but would like to verify. Most important is token vision. No vision of course means no reveal. Second is ownership. Since individual FOW is based on Individual Views, if the player does not own the token in question, then they won't see from that token's point of view. My best guess here is that the issue had to do with ownership. Another question (this may have nothing to do with it, but it has been an issue in the past with macros), were the players names the same as the token names they controlled?
Is there an issue with player names being the same as the token names they controlled?
Well.. there was at one point, though I have no idea if/when it got fixed. The issue at stake was when trying to resolve macro information, player names and token names hosed some macros if they were the same.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

lmarkus001 wrote:I had my players move to a brand new map (so it had complete fog coverage) that has Night Vision selected. I had them all use the Map Explorer to find their tokens, then try to expose their vision. About 50% of them were unable to expose their vision.
I've seen this twice myself but haven't been able to recreate it intentionally.

In the first case it happened fairly early in the development of IV/IF and so I didn't worry about it much. Had 2 out of 5 players not able to expose. My actions also did nothing for them. In the second case it was just one player. Both times I had them disconnect and then reconnect. It worked for them after that.

Both cases were on maps that the tokens had never been to before. I cut/pasted the tokens to the new map.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Phergus wrote:In the second case it was just one player. Both times I had them disconnect and then reconnect. It worked for them after that.
That sounds like there might be a missing call to MapTool.getServer().putZone() or something similar. (Not sure if Joe created a separate command for distributing the zone's exposedArea object.)

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Phergus wrote:
lmarkus001 wrote:I had my players move to a brand new map (so it had complete fog coverage) that has Night Vision selected. I had them all use the Map Explorer to find their tokens, then try to expose their vision. About 50% of them were unable to expose their vision.
I've seen this twice myself but haven't been able to recreate it intentionally.

In the first case it happened fairly early in the development of IV/IF and so I didn't worry about it much. Had 2 out of 5 players not able to expose. My actions also did nothing for them. In the second case it was just one player. Both times I had them disconnect and then reconnect. It worked for them after that.

Both cases were on maps that the tokens had never been to before. I cut/pasted the tokens to the new map.
Perhaps the Dev team needs to do as Dorpond suggested and have a "mock" game to try to figure out what the issues might be. I can't think of any reason off the top of my head why it would "break" for one map, but not another.

Phergus, perhaps you could take a look into the code. The way it works is that on a paste, it checks to see if the exposedAreaGUID is set on the token AND is not duplicated on the map already. If already on the map, a new exposedAreaGUID is created for that token. Then, any exposed area's area added to the zone in a map<GUID,ExposedAreaMeta> and this is checked for adding/removing any exposed area regardless of how.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Azhrei wrote:
Phergus wrote:In the second case it was just one player. Both times I had them disconnect and then reconnect. It worked for them after that.
That sounds like there might be a missing call to MapTool.getServer().putZone() or something similar. (Not sure if Joe created a separate command for distributing the zone's exposedArea object.)
There is a new method in clientcommand to deal with that updating the zone.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Azhrei wrote:
Azhrei, it looks like when you refactored(I think you did...I don't remember making this change... of course... the past few weeks I have had mush brain) AppActions.PASTE_TOKENS that the check for duplicate exposedAreaGUID makes a new GUID, but does not add that new GUID to the zone. Perhaps that is the issue??? I don't see how a restart of the server would help that though. Even still, any update to the FOW should add the new GUID to the zone.... :?

Return to “Announcements”