MapTool 1.3 Release Candidate Build 81 (1.3-RC4)

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

jsharen
Giant

Re: MapTool 1.3 Release Candidate Build 81 (1.3-RC4)

Post by jsharen »

Is anyone else noticing problems with players taking forever to download campaigns?

The last half dozen builds or so have been painfully slow, to the point that its almost unplayable. I've got 5 remote players connecting and the best internet connection I can buy in this area (2 meg upload, 50 meg download speeds), as well as hosting the repository on Amazon's S3.

My campaign file is only 26 megs in size, so compared so some around here its not that big. Any suggestions for increasing responsiveness?

Thanks!

jsharen
Giant

Post by jsharen »

I also had several out of memory errors this evening, again my clients were not impacted but the server was.

I reduced my stack size, however I've never had to do that before and I have 8 gigs of ram so I would think I should be ok.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Phergus wrote:
wolph42 wrote:did you find/fix anything about my last error report?: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 48#p185248
That all looks to be memory, probably stack size, related. When auto-save is writing out a campaign I'm guessing there is at least one more new thread launched and a fair chunk of memory used. If you were already on the edge that might be enough to push things over.
Well it's possible of course, but very very unlikely. I was testing a teleport function between two maps. So the only thing I was doing was moving between the two maps with 1 to 4 tokens at the same time. The total campaign file is 500kb (not Mb). No fancy macros, no big maps just about 200 lines of code and a couple of tokens.

However looking at the last two posts, this might be related to 'that' problem: memory issues in general, maybe a leak?

FWiW: stack: 5, min 64, max 1024. WinXP, 4Gb mem.

Edit: it also seems to occur when you do nothing. I just opened the auto teleport campaign, entered a few things in the chat panel. Then walked away for about 20 min. and when I returned:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at net.rptools.maptool.model.Zone.<init>(Zone.java:316)
at net.rptools.maptool.model.Campaign.<init>(Campaign.java:125)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.AutoSaveManager.actionPerformed(AutoSaveManager.java:102)
at javax.swing.Timer.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.Timer$DoPostEvent.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.swing.MapToolEventQueue.dispatchEvent(MapToolEventQueue.java:25)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

wolph42 wrote:However looking at the last two posts, this might be related to 'that' problem: memory issues in general, maybe a leak?

FWiW: stack: 5, min 64, max 1024. WinXP, 4Gb mem.

Edit: it also seems to occur when you do nothing. I just opened the auto teleport campaign, entered a few things in the chat panel. Then walked away for about 20 min. and when I returned:
I haven't seen that in my usage - and MapTool is often up for hours at a time while I work on maps - but then I also don't use AutoSave.

Does sound like a memory leak in it.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Phergus wrote:Does sound like a memory leak in it.
It sounds like a memory leak, but that line of code in the Zone is where the initiative panel information is copied to a new area so that it can be saved.

Essentially, the autosave function takes a snapshot of the Campaign object and then writes the snapshot out. But the Campaign object includes all of the Zones, which include all of the Tokens, which include...

I'm not saying that it isn't a memory problem -- given the above you can see that it takes almost double the amount of memory to do an autosave. Well, not really double since the images themselves and read-only and are shared between the original Campaign object and the new one. And that's where most of the memory footprint will be. But everything else gets copied. With a complex map (lots of tokens and objects), that copying means the (x,y) coordinates of each one. That could be a lot of data.

I seem to have missed a bunch of the b80 thread somehow. I'm gonna go back through it after dinner.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Azhrei wrote:It sounds like a memory leak, but that line of code in the Zone is where the initiative panel information is copied to a new area so that it can be saved.
Right but I think there were previous posts in the b80 thread where they were getting out of memory errors and had also noted the use of Auto-save. The NPE could have been caused by a failure to create an object and the reference to it was used anyway. (Though I would have expected the error dialog with that message to have come up first.)

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Phergus wrote:(Though I would have expected the error dialog with that message to have come up first.)
The OutOfMemoryException is not subclassed under RuntimeException, so it's not catchable; i.e. if there was an OOM condition there would've been a dialog box from the JVM saying so.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Natha and patoace had asked this in the b80 thread and I missed it somehow:
Natha wrote:What is the time limit to submit an updated french translation for .b81 ?
Well, it's passed now.

;)

I plan to put out 1.3 Final on Wednesday evening. I have a couple more bugs to fix before then, but I expect the timing to work out. If I receive translations after that, I will likely do another build within a few weeks if I receive new translations. But I don't expect any bug fixes to go in unless they prevent MapTool from being used; and those should be very rare.

Be sure to read this Sticky thread in the main MapTool forum for information on translating. Those of you who have already provided translations will be familiar with a lot of it already, but there are some notes on how you can test your translations without waiting for a new build to come out!

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

LaserWolf wrote:[1]Start a server with all options enabled and have a client connect as a player
[2]On the player/client end, select one of the PC tokens (except "Rhyd'ley", which is not owned by All Players)
[3]On the GM/server end, move or execute a macro on one of the NPC (monster) tokens. The player instance may now show an empty map until the Map pane is clicked. I've found the problem doesn't occur 100% of the time, but it happens enough that you should experience it.
Excellent! Thank you, LaserWolf! I was able to load your campaign and reproduce this error very quickly. And it happens 100% of the time if the GM moves a token that does not have vision (see the Config tab of the token editor).

The problem is that the code displays the area of fog that has been cleared for a specific token when that token is selected. It's apparently not checking and noticing that the FOW has been turned off for that map.

The work-around until Joe can get me an official fix is to do a Ctrl-I (Expose Visible Area on the right-click token menu) on each of the tokens that has vision.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

aliasmask wrote:I'm going to change the gif images to png and see if that makes a difference. I've never had this problem before, but I've always used png images (maybe jpg too).

edit: Yeah, I converted the images to .png images and they work fine now... weird.
I spoke too soon. I reopened campaign and using the -50 to the asset and it gives me the graphical glitch. I changed it use the height and width and the error goes away but the "?" obviously shows up when the image is loading for the first time.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Azhrei wrote:
Phergus wrote:Does sound like a memory leak in it.
It sounds like a memory leak, but that line of code in the Zone is where the initiative panel information is copied to a new area so that it can be saved.

Essentially, the autosave function takes a snapshot of the Campaign object and then writes the snapshot out. But the Campaign object includes all of the Zones, which include all of the Tokens, which include...

I'm not saying that it isn't a memory problem -- given the above you can see that it takes almost double the amount of memory to do an autosave. Well, not really double since the images themselves and read-only and are shared between the original Campaign object and the new one. And that's where most of the memory footprint will be. But everything else gets copied. With a complex map (lots of tokens and objects), that copying means the (x,y) coordinates of each one. That could be a lot of data.
the campaign file Im talking about contains 3 maps (no heavy backgrounds), one with 15 tokens or so, 1 with 3 and one with 1 token. The whole file contains 1 libtoken which contains roughly 200 lines of code. It's a matter of opinion, but I don't call that a complex map, nor a map that would cause memory problems. The whole file is about 500kb. Its the teleportpads campaign file, link in my sig.

One other thing. This has been reported thoroughly as well: when I open my campaign file, not all tokens are rendered on the map. Only AFTER I zoom (in/out?) they're all rendered. Recently I noticed that this happens as well when you change maps during a game. For testing purposes you could try me DH Framework, again link in sig.

Azinctus
Giant

Post by Azinctus »

The problem I reported with Individual Fog of War (IFOW) in B.80 persists in B.81. Someone said it was because of the teleport gates and copy token that the players are erroneously exposing fog of war for everyone. Is there any plan to fix that or are teleporters and IFOW simply incompatible?

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Azinctus wrote:The problem I reported with Individual Fog of War (IFOW) in B.80 persists in B.81. Someone said it was because of the teleport gates and copy token that the players are erroneously exposing fog of war for everyone. Is there any plan to fix that or are teleporters and IFOW simply incompatible?
Can you give me some more details. I have been real busy the past few weeks and not had a chance to keep up with the forums.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

DarkWiz58
Cave Troll

Post by DarkWiz58 »

.BUG STILL AROUND:

I noticed that this build does not have a fix to the problem I call the "start up bounding rectangle too small" problem.

This means that when a campaign is loaded, if tokens are outside of some kind of invisible rectangular area, they are not displayed until a zoom-in / zoom-out is performed.

I thought this was fixed a few releases ago, but to be honest I wasn't tracking it closely to be sure. If we are leaving it to a future release, I'm kinda ok with that: the workaround isn't hard for a user to do naturally even if he/she doesn't know about the bug.

But I'd like to know: is the fix to this problem going to be in the Wednesday release or not ?????
Last edited by DarkWiz58 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Azinctus
Giant

Post by Azinctus »

jfrazierjr wrote:
Azinctus wrote:The problem I reported with Individual Fog of War (IFOW) in B.80 persists in B.81. Someone said it was because of the teleport gates and copy token that the players are erroneously exposing fog of war for everyone. Is there any plan to fix that or are teleporters and IFOW simply incompatible?
Can you give me some more details. I have been real busy the past few weeks and not had a chance to keep up with the forums.
Here is a link http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/Az ... cmpgn.html to my campaign file. This file had the problem in B.80. We ran with the same campaign on Monday in B.81 and had the same problem.

On the map pub interiors there are six PCs. Angelo Rackham explored the upper floors of the house where he is and by doing so inconsistently exposed FOW for Aspharagus, Verity and Bossdrum.

Your best bet to find the PCs is to use the map explorer. This map uses widely spaced small areas to represent the interiors of various buildings in the city, doors and floors are connected by teleport gates.

As an aside the players mentioned that they could see more in the map explorer window than normal. They could see NPCs and other PCs listed in the Tokens and Players sections.

All options are ticked on the server, the map is day, vision and FOW on.

Return to “Announcements”