MapTool 1.3 Final (build 83)

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

PinkRose
Dragon

Re: MapTool 1.3 Final (build 83)

Post by PinkRose »

I understand that this is no longer the final build, but I want to add my voice.

Congratulation.
To Trevor.
To Azhrei.
And to everyone else that has helped at all on this.
One of my most used programs. I used it more in the last 3 years then all the games I've payed $50 a piece for.
I truly appreciate the project. And the time. And though I don't do code, I do understand volunteer work, and I appreciate it very much.

Thank you all.
I am a special snowflake!

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Thanks, P.R.! :D

You're not just saying that because you got your shortcut key for locking player movement in the last build, are you?! ;) :lol:
PinkRose wrote:One of my most used programs. I used it more in the last 3 years then all the games I've payed $50 a piece for.
This statement is what really hit home for me!

Volunteers do what they do because they love doing it -- and because they think they'll make the world a better place in some way. Perhaps only a small way, but if everyone pitched in with "small ways" we would all have a much nicer place to live. :)

(Er, okay. Proselytizing now... Soapbox mode off. ;))

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Azhrei wrote:
PinkRose wrote:One of my most used programs. I used it more in the last 3 years then all the games I've payed $50 a piece for.
This statement is what really hit home for me!

Volunteers do what they do because they love doing it -- and because they think they'll make the world a better place in some way. Perhaps only a small way, but if everyone pitched in with "small ways" we would all have a much nicer place to live. :)
Thanks to all who've been working hard on this over the years from one of the mooches who wishes he could program more than a simple php script.

Don't mean to risk threadjack, but the above reminded me of a YouTube video that explains what motivates us that is useful for almost anybody.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Hawke wrote:Thanks to all who've been working hard on this over the years from one of the mooches who wishes he could program more than a simple php script.
Heh, thanks Matt. But programmers aren't in short supply right now -- writers are! The documentation effort really needs your help! (I'm looking at the readers of this post, not you in particular!) I would like to submit MapTool to the ENnies; the recognition would be good for us amongst the gaming community, I think. But I can't do that without documentation. So I fear it won't get done -- I have some minimal expertise as a proofreader, but writing docs is not my forté.
Don't mean to risk threadjack, but the above reminded me of a YouTube video that explains what motivates us that is useful for almost anybody.
Bah! No one here should fear threadjacking!! Btw, thanks for the link. I loved the video! The animation technique is kinda cool, too. (I'm assuming it's a video of the artist with redundant frames removed to speed it up, then a single interpolated frame added back in to smooth out the transitions. It's a neat effect.)

aku
Dragon

Post by aku »

I feel like i could proofread better than i could write, unfortunately, im just not THAT well versed in maptools to write something like that.

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

I could volunteer as type setter, could walk through the wiki in search for reusable text passages, make documentary screenshots fitting to text - but I'm no writer - much more since this isnt my native language.

I would propose setting this in latex and I have already set up a base latex document according to the "official docs" thread. I've put that in a SVN at google code .. so its all ready for writers to participate. :-)

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

If someone wants to send me a writing hit list I'll be glad to chip in.

PMs or emails work best.

Cheers,
Troll
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

RPTroll wrote:If someone wants to send me a writing hit list I'll be glad to chip in.

PMs or emails work best.

Cheers,
Troll
I think the best first step is to just open the doc see whats open and start copy pasting from the wiki.
When thats done the writing / editing can start and when thats done the layouting can start.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Will do.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Return to “Announcements”