MapTool 1.3 Final, patch01 (build 84)

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: MapTool 1.3 Final, patch01 (build 84)

Post by Azhrei »

I've posted notice of an impending b85 in the Testers forum. Once I get some feedback on the version in SVN, I'll do a build and b85 is likely to be that last in the 1.3 series.

Updates to SVN will abruptly drop to zero (except perhaps for a translation update). We will be moving our source code to Git in the next week or two and I'll make an announcement in the Developer Notes forum when that happens so those interested in keeping up mirroring our development environment will be able to do so.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Azhrei wrote:..I'll do a build and b85 is likely to be that last in the 1.3 series.
Haven't you figured it out by now Azhrei? It is your confidence that is the curse. :) :lol:
You just have to release and say "Yeah, whatever.. here is another one...". That will ensure success! :)

I do hope this is the one though :)
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

dorpond wrote:It is your confidence that is the curse. :) :lol:
Heh-heh. Quite likely true! :)

I now have only three things in the 1.3 queue that are bugs without workarounds. Those are the only type that I consider eligible to create YAB (Yet Another Build), except for translation updates or new translations. None of those bugs can be fixed without redoing a bunch of code, so it ain't gonna happen.

(For those interested, they are:

1. Init panel contents appear/disappear on alternate campaign loads. http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 50#p190015

2. Screenshot problems. This is impossible to fix without rewriting some basic methods; too intrusive for 1.3. http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17984

3. Add the ability of the AssetDirectory to detect when directory timestamps have been updated and auto-index new images. This isn't really a bug per sé, but the only workaround is to shut down MapTool and restart it, which is a pretty lousy workaround.)

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Azhrei wrote: 1. Init panel contents appear/disappear on alternate campaign loads. http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 50#p190015
Oh my.. Is this something that happens to everyone? If so, that bug does not make me happy.
We use InitPanel all the time (Yes, my group is still stuck in an old campaign using B63 but that will change when I DM again) and I would be annoyed if every time we opened our campaign, I had to close it and open it again for InitPanel to work properly...

Is there no hope at all Azhrei? Or is it just an isolated incident that isn't happening for all users?
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

dorpond wrote:Is there no hope at all Azhrei? Or is it just an isolated incident that isn't happening for all users?
Read the post. It's repeatable. And it's buried somewhere deep in the init panel stuff. I'm not sure where the bug is because of how many different pieces of code are involved. But there is one variable that is cleared sometime after the campaign is loaded and before the various parts of the GUI are initialized with the new map data.

So I know where the problem is, but I don't understand the intricacies of the code. The only know workaround is to load the campaign again. Since this only happens to the map that is current when the campaign is loaded (and hence, when it's saved) it's pretty easy to workaround -- just create a map that's empty and change to it when saving.

At some point I may look into this one again. Maybe when a translation update needs to happen, for example.

Azinctus
Giant

Post by Azinctus »

I've ran into my problem with the IFOW again. This time on a fresh campaign file, with only two maps and minimal extras (there are teleporters but I didn't use them). The file is just 4.7 meg so should be easy to download to see if there are any clues.

I copied the PCs to different parts of a maze and they could immediately see the areas cleared by the others although "individual views" was switched on.
DF 77 Pits of injustice.cmpgn
The raw campaign file before the game
(4.46 MiB) Downloaded 88 times
This is the campaign file before the game began.

The PCs began on the map called Hellfall and I copy and pasted them individually and one at a time to areas marked with yellow spots on the map "The Pillars of Injustice."
DF 77 Pits of injustice vision.cmpgn
The file after the problems began
(4.58 MiB) Downloaded 81 times
This is the campaign file during the problem.
DF 77 Pits of injustice vision 2.cmpgn
A little further along during the problem
(4.58 MiB) Downloaded 75 times
And this is a little further along during the problem. I repeatedly used ctrl+shift+o to limit the amount of cleared space that they could see but it didn't fix the problem.

Sir Flak
Dragon

Post by Sir Flak »

Critical bug. I was playing as a player with another GM. I can see all his monsters even though they are not visble to players in the map explorer. They did have that bluish background.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Sir Flak wrote:Critical bug. I was playing as a player with another GM. I can see all his monsters even though they are not visble to players in the map explorer. They did have that bluish background.
Um, shouldn't you be able to see them? How else can a combat be resolved if you can't see your opponents?!

And no, anything that is not "PC" shouldn't show up in MapExplorer.

It sounds correct to me.

(And if what you meant is that the GM had Vision==Off, then you should have said that. In which case, yes -- you should be able to see the NPCs. Whenever something like this happens, check the Map menu to see what the Fog & Vision settings are. Usually the problem is that Vision hasn't been set to Day or Night.)

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

I'm in a 4E game on Wed nights and we moved to b84 a while back and initially noticed no big problems, but the last 3 sessions have all had major lags that got steadily worse. We're using the latest Veggie FW, if that's relevant, but after a bit of play the power macros just start taking forever to propagate from the client running them. This seems to be accompanied by the GM/server constantly showing up as typing even though he's not. Here's tidbits that might be relevant.

--He's not typing: entering something in the box and hitting enter doesn't remove the message.
--It gets steadily worse over time.
--Dumping his memory by clicking the green bar doesn't help.
--He's started getting "out of memory" errors at times (not always) even though MT is not nearly maxed out and his computer is showing plenty of free mem.
--This is often accompanied by tokens reverting to previous states even though no one is manipulating them.
--All clients are using the same memory/stack settings and rigs that can handle it.

--He's running Win 7 and doesn't have the best connection, but I'm doubting it's a computer issue, as it's the same rig/connection/setup we've been using for a loooong time without issues. We didn't notice issues when we first switched to b84, but that doesn't mean they weren't going on before we took note.

Anyway, just wanted to report back we're having problems we've not seen before ever using b70 for months and months.
Drop-In Utilities:
My Spell Manager for D&D3.5 and PFRPG
My Inventory Manager for D&D and PFRPG, but more generally useable than that.
My Message Manager -- My Top-Down D&D Token Images
and my Custom Initiative & Status/Spell-Effect Tracker (work in progress, but functional).

Sir Flak
Dragon

Post by Sir Flak »

Azhrei wrote:
Sir Flak wrote:Critical bug. I was playing as a player with another GM. I can see all his monsters even though they are not visble to players in the map explorer. They did have that bluish background.
Um, shouldn't you be able to see them? How else can a combat be resolved if you can't see your opponents?!

And no, anything that is not "PC" shouldn't show up in MapExplorer.

It sounds correct to me.

(And if what you meant is that the GM had Vision==Off, then you should have said that. In which case, yes -- you should be able to see the NPCs. Whenever something like this happens, check the Map menu to see what the Fog & Vision settings are. Usually the problem is that Vision hasn't been set to Day or Night.)
We hadn't gotten to the area yet. The enemies were not marked as visible to players. They were also under hard fog.

He did have vision off, and was revealing the fog manually.

I guess I assumed if npc tokens did not have "visable to players" checked they would not show up on a player client mapexplorer regardless of the vision setting.

If its not a bug I guess thats fine. When I run it i usually use vision.

It just surprised me is all. He's new to maptools. It seems weird that just because he's doesn't know how to setup vbl yet that a player can see all the hidden tokens.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Sir Flak wrote:I guess I assumed if npc tokens did not have "visable to players" checked they would not show up on a player client mapexplorer regardless of the vision setting.
NPCs should never show up in a player's MapExplorer regardless of the token settings.

If the NPC token has unchecked the "Visible To Players" box, then you are correct: players should never see it.

However, if he started the server with Strict Token Management turned off, then ownership doesn't matter and the players will be able to see tokens they don't own, for example. In general, the best game experience is to leave all of the options checked unless you have a specific need to turn them off.

If the tokens were marked that way -- with Strict Token Ownership on -- and were still visible to the players, then I need to see the campaign file and I'll need to know what options were used to start the server. Most likely there is something else going on.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

plothos wrote:[...] but the last 3 sessions have all had major lags that got steadily worse. We're using the latest Veggie FW, if that's relevant, but after a bit of play the power macros just start taking forever to propagate from the client running them.
Thanks for the report.

What does the CPU usage look like during these times? Is it pegged at 95% or more?

Since you said that the game sessions start out fine, it could be that the macros have a bug in which a JSON array or object keeps getting larger and larger, making it take longer to convert to/from a token property. Since macros stop the GUI from updating while they're running, you would see a huge lag in the UI. Since this doesn't appear to be a memory leak (based on your assertion that the memory bar doesn't spike), this macro issue seems more likely, especially since you're using a newly updated FW (if I understand you correctly).

If the lag seems related to particular macros (such as "it happens more quickly when we use macro XYZ a lot") then it may be easier to track down. You could also try turning on macro debugging and go back later to see how the macro execution time is looking, but that will generate a HUGE amount of data in a very short amount of time. (Since every macro function executed will cause an 80+ byte entry in the log file.)

The next time the lag begins, please ask the GM to save the campaign under a temporary filename. Then I'd like to look at the campaign file. If it's too large to attach here we'll have to work something else out. It might be enough to just export a single map...

Sir Flak
Dragon

Post by Sir Flak »

Azhrei wrote:
Sir Flak wrote:I guess I assumed if npc tokens did not have "visable to players" checked they would not show up on a player client mapexplorer regardless of the vision setting.
NPCs should never show up in a player's MapExplorer regardless of the token settings.

If the NPC token has unchecked the "Visible To Players" box, then you are correct: players should never see it.

However, if he started the server with Strict Token Management turned off, then ownership doesn't matter and the players will be able to see tokens they don't own, for example. In general, the best game experience is to leave all of the options checked unless you have a specific need to turn them off.

If the tokens were marked that way -- with Strict Token Ownership on -- and were still visible to the players, then I need to see the campaign file and I'll need to know what options were used to start the server. Most likely there is something else going on.
Ah this was his first time. I bet he didn't check all the boxes. I'll ask him.

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

Azhrei wrote:What does the CPU usage look like during these times? Is it pegged at 95% or more?
I'm not sure, but I'll ask.
Azhrei wrote:Since you said that the game sessions start out fine, it could be that the macros have a bug in which a JSON array or object keeps getting larger and larger, making it take longer to convert to/from a token property. Since macros stop the GUI from updating while they're running, you would see a huge lag in the UI. Since this doesn't appear to be a memory leak (based on your assertion that the memory bar doesn't spike), this macro issue seems more likely, especially since you're using a newly updated FW (if I understand you correctly).
I don't know of anybody making a complaint about this about Veggie. We're using a version that's new to us, but I have to assume it's seen a fair bit of use. All macros seem to be throwing lag, and afaik all they're saving is a couple input fields like conditional attack modifiers.

The GM did say something about experiencing "memory spikes" but I'm not sure how that was determined, and I don't know if it's always and only when there's huge lag.
Azhrei wrote:The next time the lag begins, please ask the GM to save the campaign under a temporary filename. Then I'd like to look at the campaign file. If it's too large to attach here we'll have to work something else out. It might be enough to just export a single map...
Will do.
Drop-In Utilities:
My Spell Manager for D&D3.5 and PFRPG
My Inventory Manager for D&D and PFRPG, but more generally useable than that.
My Message Manager -- My Top-Down D&D Token Images
and my Custom Initiative & Status/Spell-Effect Tracker (work in progress, but functional).

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Azinctus wrote:I've ran into my problem with the IFOW again. This time on a fresh campaign file, with only two maps and minimal extras (there are teleporters but I didn't use them). The file is just 4.7 meg so should be easy to download to see if there are any clues.

I copied the PCs to different parts of a maze and they could immediately see the areas cleared by the others although "individual views" was switched on.
DF 77 Pits of injustice.cmpgn
This is the campaign file before the game began.

The PCs began on the map called Hellfall and I copy and pasted them individually and one at a time to areas marked with yellow spots on the map "The Pillars of Injustice."
DF 77 Pits of injustice vision.cmpgn
This is the campaign file during the problem.
DF 77 Pits of injustice vision 2.cmpgn
And this is a little further along during the problem. I repeatedly used ctrl+shift+o to limit the amount of cleared space that they could see but it didn't fix the problem.
can you give me some more details? Are you exposing manually, or are the tokens exposing via move? There are definitely some individual FOW exposes per token, but some areas are weird. Did you happen to try to reproduce after the fact? What it APPEARS is that every single token has the same exposed areas as part of the token Astrid's view. Did are you exposing manually with CNTL+I as the GM? If so, it is possible IF the ownership was messed up that this is the cause. The code that runs checks for ownership. I guess one possibility is that I need to add some additional checks in the zone.exposeArea and zone.hideArea methods to verify ownership before actual doing the modifications.... What were your ownership settings in terms of Strict Token Ownership and Players can Reveal Vision/Players reveal vision on Move? There is a reason this problem is intermittent, we just have to figure out what that reason is and be able to reproduce the reasons.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Return to “Announcements”