MapTool 1.3 Final, patch01 (build 84)

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

jfrazierjr
Deity

Re: MapTool 1.3 Final, patch01 (build 84)

Post by jfrazierjr »

Ummmmm.... or just use CNTL+SHIFT+O which clears FOW and resets to only current visible areas.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Azinctus
Giant

Post by Azinctus »

jfrazierjr wrote:See, since each token should have a unique value for this id AND that id has to stay from map to map(which is why we CAN'T use the normal tokenid since it changes!!!).... so.... when you do a paste I check to see if the token with that id already exists on that map and if so I create a NEW id for that one(which means that tokens(the second/third/etc copy) exposed area is emptied out as the new id has nothing in it for exposed area). Now, that will not explain the issue of the other tokens getting somewhat shared vision, but at least we have identities one possible issue.
jfrazierjr wrote:Ummmmm.... or just use CNTL+SHIFT+O which clears FOW and resets to only current visible areas.
Happily we're getting somewhere. I'll do both these things for my next session on Monday and we will at least have some clarity.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

jfrazierjr wrote:One possibility is to export the map AFTER you remove the tokens and reimport as that should clear everything(since I just found out that exporting a map also exports the tokens on it. )
But it doesn't reset the exposed area (yet). It will when I get time to make that change and put out another patch sometime this weekend or early next week...

Azinctus
Giant

Post by Azinctus »

Azinctus wrote:I've spotted a minor issue. My Recent Campaigns option under the file menu hasn't updated in a long time. I have to choose Open and select my latest campaign form a list.
I may have pinned this down. Is there a problem with using colons (:") in filenames?
Azinctus wrote:
Azhrei wrote:If/when it happens again, please use the Map menu and export the current map and post it here. There's enough information in the .rpmap file to debug a zoom factor problem, I believe.
When I loaded the campaign the problem was still there. So I've uploaded a map http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/Az ... rpmap.html featuring the weird zoom problem.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Azinctus wrote:I may have pinned this down. Is there a problem with using colons (:") in filenames?
Well, I wouldn't have thought so but weirder things have happened. Thanks for pointing that out ... that will help isolate the problem. I may just need to encode the filenames when storing them and decode when retrieving...

Given that there's a known workaround I may not fix this one unless it's a one-liner. I'll know more when I look at the code...
When I loaded the campaign the problem was still there. So I've uploaded a map http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/Az ... rpmap.html featuring the weird zoom problem.
Great. :)

shamballa
Giant

Post by shamballa »

Too add on to your problem I have been getting this problem every now and then.
java output
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread
at java.lang.Thread.start0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Thread.start(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.addIfUnderMaximumPoolSize(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.execute(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.AbstractExecutorService.submit(Unknown Source)
at net.rptools.lib.sound.SoundPlayer.play(SoundPlayer.java:81)
at net.rptools.lib.sound.SoundPlayer.play(SoundPlayer.java:44)
at net.rptools.lib.sound.SoundManager.playSoundEvent(SoundManager.java:87)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.MapTool.playSound(MapTool.java:444)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.commandpanel.MessagePanel$5.run(MessagePanel.java:233)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$000(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.swing.MapToolEventQueue.dispatchEvent(MapToolEventQueue.java:25)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
I don't know why it says that. Each time it has popped up the memory usage has been at 400/900 or 100/900. I checked my Computer info to see if something was eating up RAM or CPU and my cpu was at around 10% usage and only 47% of my physical memory was being taken up. Not 100% sure but I think that it pops up anytime a player says something in the chat.

If it helps I'm using Java's latest version, run the game through hamachi, and my operating system is windows 7.

Edit: The server eventually crashed by the maptools screen going completely black I disconnected hamachi and then the server came back. But when I tried to close out and save the campaign the same error came back up and then the campaign wouldn't save.

Edit2: Thinking back about it the problem only seemed to pop out when maptools was minimized or wasn't the window on front (ie when I rebooted the server when I was in the campaign it worked fine... but when I opened up chrome to come here, brought skype back up, etc. is when the problem would flash up).

silversonic
Cave Troll

Post by silversonic »

I hate to pile on, but I felt you would appreciate a report.

Just ran a game today, and everything went well, but we encountered something strange with facing: one of my players also uses a macbook and had the facing change as he zoomed in and out, and then the facing would not stop changing, rotating counter clockwise. We would even try moving his character but every time the facing would change it would revert him back to where he started. We even tried deleting the character but it would pop right back up and continue changing facing. It was so strange I have a hard time describing it.

Thankfully this corrected itself by simply restarting the server. If there is anything you would like me to get, logs, cmpgn files, etc., I'd be happy to help. I am happy simply keeping the developers in the know.

And other than that, with the exception of one of the players having a shoddy connection, the game ran very smoothly!
I don't want the world, I just want your half.

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

I found the individual views caused an EXTREME load. So much so that I had to turn them off (the server became extremely sluggish and it was hard to get macros to run). However they did function correctly.

We ran into one issue that appears to be somewhat reported here, the mouse error:
Spoiler
java.lang.NullPointerException
at net.rptools.maptool.client.tool.PointerTool.mouseMoved(PointerTool.java:577)
at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseMoved(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseMotionEvent(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseMotionEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.swing.MapToolEventQueue.dispatchEvent(MapToolEventQueue.java:25)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
This occurred for only one of my players, and we were on a square grid. It seemed to be tied to her token being in the Initiative panel and using Initiative: Locked Movement. She was on Win7 32-bit o/s. We had a mix of WinXP, Win7/64, Vista, Vista/64, Win7/32, Mac. Only the one player saw the issue. I was able to spam click CANCEL on her machine until the error stopped, and then removed her token from the initiative panel with my GM machine, at which point she became functional again. Oh yeah, the error was persistent for her even if she closed MapTools and returned. It took the spam CANCELLING and then GM removal from the Init panel to make her functional again.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

lmarkus001 wrote:I found the individual views caused an EXTREME load. So much so that I had to turn them off (the server became extremely sluggish and it was hard to get macros to run). However they did function correctly.
Can you get that campaign file in the hands of the dev's please? We could profile it. Also, give as much detail as possible with the setting; # of players, framework, vbl, lighting, etc. The more the better.

Thanks.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

shamballa wrote:

Code: Select all

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread
	at java.lang.Thread.start0(Native Method)
	at java.lang.Thread.start(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.addIfUnderMaximumPoolSize(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.execute(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.AbstractExecutorService.submit(Unknown Source)
	at net.rptools.lib.sound.SoundPlayer.play(SoundPlayer.java:81)
I don't know why it says that. Each time it has popped up the memory usage has been at 400/900 or 100/900. I checked my Computer info to see if something was eating up RAM or CPU and my cpu was at around 10% usage and only 47% of my physical memory was being taken up. Not 100% sure but I think that it pops up anytime a player says something in the chat.
You're out of memory. But it's not Java memory, it's Windows memory. Notice how the first few lines say "Thread.start0 (Native Method)". That means that it's a C language function that is having the problem creating a new thread for Java to use. So it's going to be related to Windows not being able to create a new thread. I'm not a Windows programmer so I don't know what constraints Windows puts on number of threads, but I'll bet it's related to some resource limit.
Edit: The server eventually crashed by the maptools screen going completely black I disconnected hamachi and then the server came back.
That "black window" is usually caused by video driver problems. Others who run Windows have reported that symptom and updating their video driver has solved it. This makes me think that your video driver could have a bug in it that is causing Windows to leak resources that are needed for things like thread creation.
Edit2: Thinking back about it the problem only seemed to pop out when maptools was minimized or wasn't the window on front (ie when I rebooted the server when I was in the campaign it worked fine... but when I opened up chrome to come here, brought skype back up, etc. is when the problem would flash up).
This also points to video drivers. They often will release resources when the window is minimized so that other applications can use them. But then restoring the window often runs out of resources later...
silversonic wrote:I hate to pile on, but I felt you would appreciate a report.
Definitely!
Just ran a game today, and everything went well, but we encountered something strange with facing:
Was he using the trackpad and trying to right-click with it using the Ctrl key? I've seen multiple problems with using Ctrl-click on a touchpad on OSX. Have him use a USB mouse and see if the problem goes away. It got so bad for me that I pretty much can't use the touchpad for MT. There are other threads that discuss this in more detail so I won't go into it again here.
Thankfully this corrected itself by simply restarting the server.
Hm. Weird that it would fix it for him when YOU restart the server. Although that would have meant that he would get disconnected so maybe he shutdown MT and started it again. That also will clear this problem.

If you were using the Ctrl key as the push-to-talk key for Ventrilo or Skype (does it even have push-to-talk?) he may have tried to use the touchpad while holding down Ctrl, thus causing the situation I mentioned above.
And other than that, with the exception of one of the players having a shoddy connection, the game ran very smoothly!
I presume it wasn't the same player? Network connections can have all kinds of weird symptoms if data packets aren't delivered as expected.
lmarkus001 wrote:I found the individual views caused an EXTREME load. So much so that I had to turn them off (the server became extremely sluggish and it was hard to get macros to run). However they did function correctly.
We'd need to see the map that caused this. If you can delete the other maps and save the campaign I'd like to take a look at it.
We ran into one issue that appears to be somewhat reported here, the mouse error:
Yep, already reported. Thanks.
This occurred for only one of my players, and we were on a square grid. It seemed to be tied to her token being in the Initiative panel and using Initiative: Locked Movement.
This is troubling. Nothing has changed in regards to the init panel. However, neofax also reported that toggling the LockMovement off/on and OwnerPermissions off/on seemed to clear it up for him?! :?

I've got some time this week so I'll be looking in these issues starting late tonight...

LeopoldVonRanke
Giant

Post by LeopoldVonRanke »

Azhrei wrote:
Yep, already reported. Thanks.
This occurred for only one of my players, and we were on a square grid. It seemed to be tied to her token being in the Initiative panel and using Initiative: Locked Movement.
This is troubling. Nothing has changed in regards to the init panel. However, neofax also reported that toggling the LockMovement off/on and OwnerPermissions off/on seemed to clear it up for him?! :?

I've got some time this week so I'll be looking in these issues starting late tonight...

I reported the same earlier up in the thread: Something caused the nullpointer exception while user tokens were in the initiative panel; I thought it was connected to my cutting and pasting player tokens earlier, but this seems to confirm that the issue has to do with LockMovement (my player's movement was locked as well.) Might be able to report more by Wednesday eve.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Yeah, I reported the same problem but didn't think (realize) it was associated with the init panel. I know you can close the popup by clicking on the map (giving you a beep) and hit spacebar 2 times. Maybe it has something to do with the init panel update. I know the init panel updates the token in the init panel when the token is moved. I've had the init token be different from the map token but it sync'd up when I moved the token.

Langy
Cave Troll

Post by Langy »

When I encountered the mouse-moved-null-pointer error, there were no tokens in the init panel. Hell, I've seen it occur when first starting MapTool and without starting a server, loading a campaign, or anything like that - just drop a token down onto the map and try to move it and you'll get the error.

The error Neofax was able to fix with toggling Owner Permissions and Lock Player Movement wasn't the null pointer error - it was a player not being able to move his tokens. Very different errors - when gets a popup saying 'errors here!', the other doesn't.

silversonic
Cave Troll

Post by silversonic »

Was he using the trackpad and trying to right-click with it using the Ctrl key? I've seen multiple problems with using Ctrl-click on a touchpad on OSX. Have him use a USB mouse and see if the problem goes away. It got so bad for me that I pretty much can't use the touchpad for MT. There are other threads that discuss this in more detail so I won't go into it again here.
That I will find out, or the player himself might post: he trawls the forums on occassion. I actually despise ctrl click and only use the two finger tap on my trackpad, which could possibly explain why I don't experience the issue. I've joined you on some of those discussions on the trackpad, and I understand the limitations with the Apple JVM et al. If that problem comes up again I will see about the usb mouse.
Thankfully this corrected itself by simply restarting the server.
Hm. Weird that it would fix it for him when YOU restart the server. Although that would have meant that he would get disconnected so maybe he shutdown MT and started it again. That also will clear this problem.

If you were using the Ctrl key as the push-to-talk key for Ventrilo or Skype (does it even have push-to-talk?) he may have tried to use the touchpad while holding down Ctrl, thus causing the situation I mentioned above.
I don't know if you shut maptool down when we disconnected and reconnected the server (we host from a collocated mac mini). That too I will ask about
I presume it wasn't the same player? Network connections can have all kinds of weird symptoms if data packets aren't delivered as expected.
The two players are different: the other player was using a windows laptop, and his connection was just bad, both on skype and maptool. It did not affect the rest of the players, however.

I'm impressed you are able to reply to so many people on a regular basis, Az. Thanks!
I don't want the world, I just want your half.

Jazlizard
Kobold

Post by Jazlizard »

My players have experienced the pointer bug also. I didn't have movement locked, but I did have tokens in the initiative panel.

Anything I can do to help track this bug down would be helpful as it's a show stopper when it pops up.

Return to “Announcements”