MapTool 1.3 Final, patch01 (build 84)

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

Langy
Cave Troll

Re: MapTool 1.3 Final, patch01 (build 84)

Post by Langy »

Azhrei wrote:
aliasmask wrote:I'll try to duplicate with the b82 campaign and see if I can repeat problem.
Okay, thanks. The map this happened on was gridless, right?

I can't see any way for <b>null</b> to be returned even if the data in the token is corrupted; the information returned is based on the current state of the token at the time the movement is begun and not on state saved in the campaign. :?
I encountered the nullpointer-when-moving-a-token error only on maps with hex-grids (though the grid wasn't currently visible). I haven't played on any gridless or square-grid maps, so I'm not sure if it's unique to hex grids or not.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Langy wrote:I encountered the nullpointer-when-moving-a-token error only on maps with hex-grids (though the grid wasn't currently visible). I haven't played on any gridless or square-grid maps, so I'm not sure if it's unique to hex grids or not.
Hm, interesting. I didn't think it was possible for the square and hex grids to return null from getLastWaypoint() so I'll have to re-read that code. Maybe that's why I didn't get it adequately fixed previously -- I had looked at that code and didn't see a problem.

Thanks for the info.

Azinctus
Giant

Post by Azinctus »

I've spotted a minor issue. My Recent Campaigns option under the file menu hasn't updated in a long time. I have to choose Open and select my latest campaign form a list.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Ok, I noticed something weird, I have two tokens, both in the token layer, one large and one gargantuan. Now look at the grid lines:
weird grid.jpg
weird grid.jpg (55.65 KiB) Viewed 1917 times
weird grid 2.jpg
weird grid 2.jpg (48.88 KiB) Viewed 1917 times
As expected the lines are behind the gargantuan token, but in front of the large token (which is again in front of the gargantuan token). Anyone got a clue what's going on?

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Azinctus wrote:I've spotted a minor issue. My Recent Campaigns option under the file menu hasn't updated in a long time. I have to choose Open and select my latest campaign form a list.
Details, please. OS, Java version, memory settings, for starters...
wolph42 wrote:Ok, I noticed something weird, I have two tokens, both in the token layer, one large and one gargantuan. Now look at the grid lines:
Weird. Can you save this campaign and attach it here? Preferably as small an example as possible that demonstrates the problem...

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

windows 7. 1024, 64, 5, java (how do I figure that one out)?? MTb82.
edit: ah that was meant for the other poster... ah well.

Its attached. I guess I could also just attach the tokens...
Attachments
grid test.cmpgn
(243.92 KiB) Downloaded 92 times

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

wolph42 wrote:Its attached. I guess I could also just attach the tokens...
Huh? You mean this happens with these specific tokens regardless of which map/campaign they're a part of? Now that's really weird...

If they're both on the Token layer, then they *must* be drawn after the grid. I noticed the token highlighting in your first image and it seems to be red and surrounding each token, so they're both on the Token layer AFAICT. (Red is the token layer, blue is the object and background layers.)

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

Pure speculation, but if you look at the shadow on the garg image, the line shows through until it hits the green. I'm guess the shadow has some transparency there and the line is showing through until it hits solid image. Makes me wonder if the blue image maybe is also semi-transparent and if that's why the lines are showing through?
Drop-In Utilities:
My Spell Manager for D&D3.5 and PFRPG
My Inventory Manager for D&D and PFRPG, but more generally useable than that.
My Message Manager -- My Top-Down D&D Token Images
and my Custom Initiative & Status/Spell-Effect Tracker (work in progress, but functional).

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

plothos wrote:Pure speculation, but if you look at the shadow on the garg image, the line shows through until it hits the green. I'm guess the shadow has some transparency there and the line is showing through until it hits solid image. Makes me wonder if the blue image maybe is also semi-transparent and if that's why the lines are showing through?
I hadn't notice that. But looking at that it seems very plausible. Still a bit weird that the grid completely ignores the transparency level. I'll see if I can find out if the image is transparent.

Azinctus
Giant

Post by Azinctus »

Azhrei wrote:
Azinctus wrote:I've spotted a minor issue. My Recent Campaigns option under the file menu hasn't updated in a long time. I have to choose Open and select my latest campaign form a list.
Details, please. OS, Java version, memory settings, for starters...
MAC OS X 10.6.6, Java 1.6.0_22, Memory 1024MB Stack 2MB. The campaigns listed in my Recent Campaigns menu date from December, I have renamed the large campaign (70MB or so), using save as, at least 5 times since then and opened from the Open choice dozens of times. Need anymore details?

I ran a session last night and ran into a few problems. The Individual Views broke down a few times. Players could suddenly see areas that had been exposed by other players. As in B.81 http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... ow#p184880 I think using the teleport gates on the map may have played a role in that.

Another odd issue was that a player with a small light source (radius one) that revealed a single ring of partial hexes around their token, could move up the map, exposing darkness but not down. Map Tool wouldn't let the player drag the token one hex towards the bottom of the screen but would allow them to move one hex up. Weird, no? We first saw this issue when the Player was revealing only slightly more than half a hex in each direction but I increased the size of the light and that let the player move in any direction.

The final problem was with zoom. I'm not sure what I or, at one stage, one of my players did but we found ourselves 'lost' on the map. The zoom box showed a seven figure plus zoom percentage that randomyl shifted back and forth, while remaining too long to fit the box, and no amount of zooming in or out would bring the map back to a rational level of zoom. When the player had this problem I used Force Players View to bring them back, but when I got it on my GM map I couldn't find a workaround. Opening a new map and returning didn't help, clicking on tokens in the Map Explorer or Initiative list didn't help. It was the end of a great session (these bugs didn't stop us having another great night with Map Tool) so I wasn't too bothered at the time, but I guess it was a serious flaw.

This is a large well used campaign with a mess of macros and this particular map has been the focus of our gaming for months. The FOW has been drawn and cleared a million times and the light settings changed many times too. The link above takes you to a cut down version of the campaign with just the relevant map, I've added more stuff to it since though. If an up to date version would be useful I can organise one and upload it.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

plothos wrote:Pure speculation, but if you look at the shadow on the garg image, the line shows through until it hits the green. I'm guess the shadow has some transparency there and the line is showing through until it hits solid image. Makes me wonder if the blue image maybe is also semi-transparent and if that's why the lines are showing through?
checked it and your right the blue pic is partially transparent. So it seems that the grid 'assumes' transparency setting = no image.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Azinctus wrote: I ran a session last night and ran into a few problems. The Individual Views broke down a few times. Players could suddenly see areas that had been exposed by other players. As in B.81 http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... ow#p184880 I think using the teleport gates on the map may have played a role in that.
Azinctus wrote:This is a large well used campaign with a mess of macros and this particular map has been the focus of our gaming for months. The FOW has been drawn and cleared a million times and the light settings changed many times too.
I expect this is more what is causing your issues with Individual views/Individual FOW.
Azinctus wrote: Another odd issue was that a player with a small light source (radius one) that revealed a single ring of partial hexes around their token, could move up the map, exposing darkness but not down. Map Tool wouldn't let the player drag the token one hex towards the bottom of the screen but would allow them to move one hex up. Weird, no? We first saw this issue when the Player was revealing only slightly more than half a hex in each direction but I increased the size of the light and that let the player move in any direction.
Yea, this is something that I don't believe can be work around easily. I "believe" the issue is how the distance is calculated vs where the FOW is located. It also affects canSeeToken() as well as a few other things and is due to the even odd winding rule. The "fix" would just reverse the problem if the problem is what I believe it is.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Azinctus
Giant

Post by Azinctus »

Azinctus wrote:This is a large well used campaign with a mess of macros and this particular map has been the focus of our gaming for months. The FOW has been drawn and cleared a million times and the light settings changed many times too.

jfrazierjr wrote:I expect this is more what is causing your issues with Individual views/Individual FOW.
Is there some way I can reset the FOW for this map? Can export the map without FOW and import it to clear the backlog and start again? Is this a bug that can be fixed?

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Azinctus wrote:

jfrazierjr wrote:I expect this is more what is causing your issues with Individual views/Individual FOW.
Is there some way I can reset the FOW for this map? Can export the map without FOW and import it to clear the backlog and start again? Is this a bug that can be fixed?
You would probably have to edit the XML by hand. There are two sections, one for each token (named exposedAreaMeta or something like that.) Also, there is one on the map (named "zone" in the XML file) also named something like exposedAreaMeta. Note that I am going off the top of my head here with the names...
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Azinctus
Giant

Post by Azinctus »

jfrazierjr wrote:You would probably have to edit the XML by hand. There are two sections, one for each token (named exposedAreaMeta or something like that.) Also, there is one on the map (named "zone" in the XML file) also named something like exposedAreaMeta. Note that I am going off the top of my head here with the names...
I unpacked the campaign and looked at the xml, I don't think I'll be editing that anytime soon, too complicated for me I think. So this bug is a serious problem, how long will individual views last? One game session per map? Two? I like to test FOW with a PC token before the game is that a bad idea now?

Return to “Announcements”