MapTool 1.3 Final, patch02 (build 85)

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: MapTool 1.3 Final, patch02 (build 85)

Post by Azhrei »

lmarkus001 wrote:Configuration: 9 clients, 1 server

Server (no human interaction on this machine): WinXP-32, recent Java
Clients: Win7-64, Win7-32, Vista-64, Vista-32

When I would move a token on a client, both the client and the server would show the movement path real time, but when I would drop the token to complete the move, the server would take 4+ seconds to register the move.
Hm. That's likely the putToken() function that's part of the map object; it gets called whenever a token object is changed, such as it's (x,y) location on the map. It could also be the fog clearing that goes on for each step of the path. I'll take a look.
When I turned on Lock-Player-Movement (GM client connected to the server) I received this error:

Code: Select all

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.AppActions$50.execute(AppActions.java:1710)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.AppActions$ClientAction.actionPerformed(AppActions.java:2691)
That doesn't make any sense. :( At line 1710 of that source file is code that retrieves the MapToolServer object and then tells it to update the server policy. The NPE is because there is no MapToolServer object -- but that can't happen. :?
Additionally players randomly would get the mouse-move error (this especially occurred if they tried to move their token when it was not their initiative). I thought my players had recorded the error and posted it up for me, but it seems they just gave me lip service... sorry.
Heh, no worries. I will check out the "move when it's not your turn" and see if I can reproduce it.
Anyway, lock-player-movement continues to be broken (it has been broken for 84 onward, but was fine before that).
I look at differences in the code back to b83 and don't see anything related to the movement locking being changed. Are you saying it was fine in b83 or that it was fine in whatever version you used prior to b84 (such as b81)?
Typing Notification

When I had multiple people tying and running macros, performance got hammered. Once we disabled Typing Notifications performance became MUCH better. This is NOT new to b85.
Okay, I'll take a look. I remember looking at the code previously and thinking that it was fine.
Shift Mousemove

My players really appreciated this feature, but suggested there be an application setting that lets you choose if Shift-Move hides or displays the statsheet, if toggled, then the default would be to hide the statsheet and you would need to hold down Shift to see the statsheets.
Well, we're in "no new features"-mode. This is only there because it looked like it was in there originally and I could justify fixing the bug because it was so easy. 8) But there won't be any UI elements added to support it in 1.3.
Very Busy Map / Map-Export-Import

My group is on a very busy map so I exported it, then imported and reset the fog. I then ran with global fog (not individual views). No one noticed particularly bad movement performance. But I did discover errors/oversights in the export-import mechanism.

When a map is exported then imported, the following token properties were lost:
I replied to your post in the Bug Reports forum.

There's no point in using the import feature to clear the fog. You can do that by: (a) deselecting all tokens and then using the fog toolbar to draw fog over the entire map, then (b) selecting all tokens with HasSight and drawing fog over the entire map.

The first one erases any "global fog" that may exist (typically created only when the GM manually exposes fog). The second one erases any token-specific fog and that's why tokens need to be selected. You'll notice a purple glow around the selected tokens when you click the fog toolbar button. Part (b) only works with a server running since that's the only way to turn on Individual Views/Fog.

Doing a test just now I had a problem with how fog was exposed. I'll relay my test to Joe and see what he can come up with.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

lmarkus001 wrote:When I would move a token on a client, both the client and the server would show the movement path real time, but when I would drop the token to complete the move, the server would take 4+ seconds to register the move.
If you get a chance, can you try starting a server WITHOUT the Individual Fog option and see what the results are like? Or just turn off Fog on the Map menu?

There's a loop that is executed when IndivFog is turned on that processes each token to expose fog on each grid cell that the token passes over. If the delay goes away when you turn off the fog then I'll know that's where the problem is. I didn't see any huge delay on the maps I tried it with, but it could be some combination of VBL + already exposed fog that is causing the slowdown.

Thanks.

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

Azhrei wrote:
lmarkus001 wrote:When I would move a token on a client, both the client and the server would show the movement path real time, but when I would drop the token to complete the move, the server would take 4+ seconds to register the move.
If you get a chance, can you try starting a server WITHOUT the Individual Fog option and see what the results are like? Or just turn off Fog on the Map menu?

Thanks.
I was running WITHOUT Individual Fog. I was leery of trying the Individual Fog as it was a very very large burden when when used it before and the reports of slow performance suggested I just try running with Global Fog.

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

Azhrei wrote:
lmarkus001 wrote:Configuration: 9 clients, 1 server

Server (no human interaction on this machine): WinXP-32, recent Java
Clients: Win7-64, Win7-32, Vista-64, Vista-32

When I would move a token on a client, both the client and the server would show the movement path real time, but when I would drop the token to complete the move, the server would take 4+ seconds to register the move.
Hm. That's likely the putToken() function that's part of the map object; it gets called whenever a token object is changed, such as it's (x,y) location on the map. It could also be the fog clearing that goes on for each step of the path. I'll take a look.
When I turned on Lock-Player-Movement (GM client connected to the server) I received this error:

Code: Select all

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.AppActions$50.execute(AppActions.java:1710)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.AppActions$ClientAction.actionPerformed(AppActions.java:2691)
That doesn't make any sense. :( At line 1710 of that source file is code that retrieves the MapToolServer object and then tells it to update the server policy. The NPE is because there is no MapToolServer object -- but that can't happen. :?
Well... remember my server was a separate machine from my GM client. It was the GM client that turned on Lock Player Movement and got the error.

Azhrei wrote:
Anyway, lock-player-movement continues to be broken (it has been broken for 84 onward, but was fine before that).
I look at differences in the code back to b83 and don't see anything related to the movement locking being changed. Are you saying it was fine in b83 or that it was fine in whatever version you used prior to b84 (such as b81)?
It was definitely NOT there in b81, and it was definitely THERE in b83. I am not certain about b82.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

lmarkus001 wrote:I was running WITHOUT Individual Fog. I was leery of trying the Individual Fog as it was a very very large burden when when used it before and the reports of slow performance suggested I just try running with Global Fog.
Um. Oh. In that case, I will need to see your campaign file as I don't know what could've been causing a 4+ second delay when dropping the tokens. :?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Not very good news, but maybe not news anyway.
I'm currently working with b82. I was just working on my FW when all of a sudden everything went to a drag and I couldn't move any tokens anymore. CPU was at full and stayed there. I could select and deselect tokens, I could also draaaaaag m a bit but they wouldn't move. All because I think the pc was running overtime.

Now I have ran into this problem a while ago with heavy maps, lots of FoW, VBL etc. But this was just the FW, no vision settings, no vbl, no fow. So I thought... fluke, close MT and restart. This was the moment I realised I had accidentally started MT b85 instead of b82.

I can't remember every having this issue with previous builds (at least not in a clean FW and when doing nothing).

I might still be fluke but thought it striking that the first time I load my FW in 85 that after 20 min. or so the lot bogs down to a full stop.

Not very helpfull I know as I can't provide any log saying anything meaningfull.
System win XP, 3Gb mem. mem settings 1024, 256, 5. If needed I can provide my FW for testing. (its currently quite different from the one in my sig.).

What was I doing: testing 'recharge' of plasma weapons over rounds using initiative panel and looping players through it (initiative panel). Disembarked some personnel from a vehicle: this moves the tokens automatically from a container unit onto the vehicle. Then I wanted to drag the tokens away from the vehicle... but that didn't happen anymore cause of the 'slow down'.

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

Azhrei wrote:
lmarkus001 wrote:I was running WITHOUT Individual Fog. I was leery of trying the Individual Fog as it was a very very large burden when when used it before and the reports of slow performance suggested I just try running with Global Fog.
Um. Oh. In that case, I will need to see your campaign file as I don't know what could've been causing a 4+ second delay when dropping the tokens. :?
I was using the OuterFane map of this campaign file:
http://www.4shared.com/file/fLS8GsXF/MT ... 10408.html

Setup was dedicated machine as server, GM client connecting. When clients move a token, the move shows instantly on the clients but the Server only shows the update after 4 seconds or so.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

wolph42 wrote: I might still be fluke but thought it striking that the first time I load my FW in 85 that after 20 min. or so the lot bogs down to a full stop.
Hey Wolph42, could this be related to auto-save perhaps? Can you check your setting for me please? Thanks.
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

dorpond wrote:
wolph42 wrote: I might still be fluke but thought it striking that the first time I load my FW in 85 that after 20 min. or so the lot bogs down to a full stop.
Hey Wolph42, could this be related to auto-save perhaps? Can you check your setting for me please? Thanks.
autosave is on for every 5 minutes. Saving the FW costs about 4.8 seconds. It was a LOT longer than that and I was still able to *interact* with MT. IIRC* you can't interact when autosaving.

*I remember that from a game session I once had with a .cmpgn file of >50 mb and being frustrated that every 5 min. I couldn't touch MT for > 30s. That was before I realised autosave was on.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

wolph42 wrote:IIRC* you can't interact when autosaving.
Nope. You can still use MT while the autosave is happening.

I had neofax test some stuff with me last night. It appears that in b84 changing Vision from Day to Off immediately sped up his client (running as Player). This gives me some things to look for in the b85 code (anywhere that has a check for Vision or bases calculations off of Vision).

Winter
Giant

Post by Winter »

Can anyone suggest a combination of Vision and Fog settings in b85 that doesn't produce lag and/or NPEs? What settings have people found reliable?

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Winter wrote:Can anyone suggest a combination of Vision and Fog settings in b85 that doesn't produce lag and/or NPEs? What settings have people found reliable?
I hope to have b86 out tomorrow, but I don't know if I'll have much time so it might be Sunday. (Anyone testing via Eclipse and SVN please try out the latest revision.)

There are two lag issues that I know of. The first is that in b82 and later a Vision setting other than Off would produce delays. The more VBL, the worse the delay. Another unrelated setting is the fog of war; if that is turned off the delay go away as well.

Turning off fog is pretty severe so I would recommend the Vision setting until b86 is out.

Winter
Giant

Post by Winter »

Thanks for your prompt reply, Azhrei. Please don't feel any pressure to rush another build out. I'm sure we're all aware that MapTool revisions have to be made around your own RL commitments, and we're all grateful for the time you put in.

PinkRose
Dragon

Post by PinkRose »

Absolutely and 100% agree with Winter.
I am a special snowflake!

Return to “Announcements”