MapTool 1.2 Development Release Build 23

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

dLANbandit
Dragon

Post by dLANbandit »

your comment reminds me of the Mac vs Vista commercial.

"You are coming to a sad realization. Allow or deny?"

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Phergus wrote: I would be happier if the whole token dialog would go away. Having to click, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, as I add NPCs gets old fast.
I could make it a preference: Show New Token Dialog on token creation
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

darkeness66
Giant

Post by darkeness66 »

That would be so much nicer if you did that!

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Much nicer.

ltwally
Cave Troll

Post by ltwally »

trevor wrote:I could make it a preference: Show New Token Dialog on token creation
Oooh. I would also appreciate this.

I think I asked, before, but is there an "official" roadmap somewhere? .... Not to put any pressure on you. :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

ltwally wrote: I think I asked, before, but is there an "official" roadmap somewhere? .... Not to put any pressure on you. :D
There isn't a high level summary, but you can check the trackers and their assigned release here:

http://tracker.rptools.net/browse/MT?re ... dmap-panel

dLANbandit
Dragon

Post by dLANbandit »

roadmap? Don't we need a road first?

I thought everyone knew trevor is an ATV.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

And just think how much quicker it would be if you did a click, click, click vs. a drag, drag, drag.

Regards,
The broken record
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

RPTroll wrote:And just think how much quicker it would be if you did a click, click, click vs. a drag, drag, drag.
That assumes you were placing the same one over and over.

My particular complaint stems from placing multiple different tokens like townspeople and having to put up with the annoying dialog.

For copies of the same token I just drag the first one and then copy/paste additional ones where I want them which doesn't involve the New Token dialog.

To do what you want would require a new UI component whose purpose was to display the currently selected Stamp/Token. It would also require a new tool whose purpose was just for selection/moving of Tokens/Stamps.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

But would dramatically speed up token/object placement when you're dealing with a large number of the same type of objects/tokens.

The work around is to use init tool to drag a group in. All I'm really suggesting is making the stamper a non-dragger but an honest to gosh stamp with a token option.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Absolutely. I agree with your suggestion in principle, I'm just leery of the significant change in the UI that would be required. Not just the look but also the way it works.

From the first time the Stamp tool was added I commented that it doesn't behave like its name suggests. From a map building standpoint having it work more like Dundjinni or CC would be somewhat faster and probably more intuitive to new users.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

When I first mentioned it to Trevor he was like "ummm, how about we change the mouse cursor to the image." I've learned that when Trevor diverts, it means significant, ugly work. :-)

I'm not belittling that fact. I was just wondering if it was important to others since its one of my pet peeves. If its not, ignore it. If it does make sense then speak up and let Trev and crew know so it can get on the tracker list for 'someday'.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

I think it is a change worth considering for the future.

As a half-way measure what if dropping a token/object on to the map automatically put it into the copy/paste buffer? So you drag one and then after that it is paste, paste, paste, etc. to do more.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Phergus wrote:As a half-way measure what if dropping a token/object on to the map automatically put it into the copy/paste buffer? So you drag one and then after that it is paste, paste, paste, etc. to do more.
I think that would be a good start.

trevor

Post by trevor »

RPTroll wrote:
Phergus wrote:As a half-way measure what if dropping a token/object on to the map automatically put it into the copy/paste buffer? So you drag one and then after that it is paste, paste, paste, etc. to do more.
I think that would be a good start.
Ooooo, that would work, and be really easy to code. The trick is documenting it so it doesn't get forgotten :)

Return to “Announcements”