MapTool 1.2 Development Release Build 23

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

MapTool 1.2 Development Release Build 23

Post by trevor »

The "Just, nearly, almost, there" release:

Build 23 (4/15/07)
* Fix bug: fog of war not updating on minimap
* Improved loading of campaign files with incorrect lists
* Make sure to be on the EventDispatchThread when taking a screen cap
* Put MapTool logo image into the About dialog
* Add "Marker" type to New Token dialog
* Swap out current default maps for two of Vry's newer maps
* Add Dorpond's "i"nfo markers into the default images (Use "Help->Restore Default Images" to get them)
* Use old style drawable rendering for all layers except the background (seems to work faster for smaller number of drawables)
* Fix bug: Load campaign is setting the campaign on the client twice, causing slowness to start and an occasional extra map

NOTES:
- We're getting close, just hammering out the bugs you all have found
- I haven't moved the map selector yet, there were some UI layout issues I ran into during my first attempt, we'll have to discuss it some more
- Please beat on the drawables, on all layers (well, the background vs all the non background layers). Let me know how they perform for you.
- You can find the remaining trackers for 1.2 at http://tracker.rptools.net
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

As you all know, Java 6 is being pushed down now by Java. I updated it recently so that I can be on the same version as my players. I make sure I do all the testing before game time ;)

Well I am not sure if this is a Java 6 issue or what but when I try to Restore Default Images, I get this:

Could not restore defaults: java.IOException: Source file does not exist: \\rptools.net\dist\lib.php\maptool.resource-1.0.b6.jar

trevor

Post by trevor »

Hmmm, that sounds like some of the other comments we've seen when using java 6 and webstart. I'll take a look.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Well, I take it things are running pretty smoothly (except for the known issues) ... ? That's a Good Sign :)

darkeness66
Giant

Post by darkeness66 »

Most of the issues I have seem to be strange quirks (the token ownership issue) or hardware issues.

I mentioned this before on another thread and this may not be the place to bring it up again... I still have a GM (and co GM) in a game that can not host and I end up hosting as a player. They both use Linksys (spelling) routers and it seems like some of the others who have issues with connection use that type of router as well. Maybe I am drawing a premature conclusion.

I seem to remember someone else saying they were having connection issues until they updated the bios for their router.

Suggestion: When a person says they have problems connecting find out what type of router they have & whether their drivers are up to date.

trevor

Post by trevor »

darkeness66 wrote: Suggestion: When a person says they have problems connecting find out what type of router they have & whether their drivers are up to date.
Good recommendation

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

trevor wrote:Well, I take it things are running pretty smoothly (except for the known issues) ... ? That's a Good Sign :)
So far so good here.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

What happened to the shortcuts for Hide Map (Ctrl-H) and Enable FoW (Ctrl-W)?

Please put them back.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Usage of Markers is clumsy.

You use the Pointer Tool to drop them but have to switch to the Stamp Tool/Objects to actually modify their contents.

So you add a Marker, switch to the Stamp tool to change its contents, then forget to switch back and try to add a new one. Oops. Wrong type. Can't change it from the PC/NPC drop-down as the Marker option isn't there.

So switch back to Pointer Tool, add Marker to map, switch back to Stamp tool and edit Marker, switch back to Pointer tool, ...

trevor

Post by trevor »

Phergus wrote:What happened to the shortcuts for Hide Map (Ctrl-H) and Enable FoW (Ctrl-W)?
Interesting. So you frequently hide map and enable fog via keystroke ? Here's why I removed them: the shortcuts on the menu, for whatever reason, overlap the text of the menu item, making a big gogglygook. It seemed like they would be set-up time features that are done once, or twice and then forgotten, so I didn't think anyone would even notice not having them.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Phergus wrote:Usage of Markers is clumsy.

You use the Pointer Tool to drop them but have to switch to the Stamp Tool/Objects to actually modify their contents.

So you add a Marker, switch to the Stamp tool to change its contents, then forget to switch back and try to add a new one. Oops. Wrong type. Can't change it from the PC/NPC drop-down as the Marker option isn't there.

So switch back to Pointer Tool, add Marker to map, switch back to Stamp tool and edit Marker, switch back to Pointer tool, ...
One suggestion was to switch to the stamp tool when this happens.

But I'm open to suggestions. I will probably end up removing the option until post 1.2 when we've had more time to explore it.

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

I always use hide/reveal map with ctrl-H during game. This allows areas of the campaign to be revealed as the players go along so they don't have too many maps available at any one time. It helps to keep them focused :)

Hope this stays in.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

trevor wrote:
Phergus wrote:Usage of Markers is clumsy.

One suggestion was to switch to the stamp tool when this happens.

But I'm open to suggestions. I will probably end up removing the option until post 1.2 when we've had more time to explore it.
I said this before in my other post but I don't think the marker even belongs on the pointer tool at all. Leave that for dropping PC's and NPC's only. It will only confuse a new user of the pointer tools function if you add other stuff to it.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

trevor wrote:Interesting. So you frequently hide map and enable fog via keystroke?
Yes. As Torstan described I will toggle hidden on maps during play both to remove it from the players view and so that I can work on it temporarily without having the FoW turned on which brings up the FoW shortcut.

Secondarily I rarely use menus when a more efficient keyboard shortcut is available.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

trevor wrote:I will probably end up removing the option until post 1.2 when we've had more time to explore it.
I would be happier if the whole token dialog would go away. Having to click, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, as I add NPCs gets old fast.

Return to “Announcements”