MapTool 1.3 Final, patch03 (build 86)

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: MapTool 1.3 Final, patch03 (build 86)

Post by Azhrei »

Yep. That one won't be fixed at all for 1.3. It's a minor visual bug and not large enough to delay moving to 1.4. All that's getting fixed now are the show-stoppers. I was going to try to get the "different NumPad keystrokes depending on which grid type is chosen" changed but a weird error has cropped up so I'm dropping it -- not important enough.

As always, if someone else wants to submit a patch I'll look at it and consider applying it (anyone doing this should check with me first).

Oh, and I received another Spanish update from patoace so that'll be in b87 as well. Thanks patoace!

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

I think I've got the NPE-on-movement bug licked. I'll do some testing in the morning and put out b87 before my 3PM online game starts. ;)

I'll get to updating the ChangeLog at some point, but there aren't many changes at all. Mostly things like ensuring the Apache License appears at the top of each source file and those types of things...

bstern
Kobold

Post by bstern »

I ran into the following bugs during b86 testing with 2 players.

Bug 1:

Code: Select all

ZoneView: visible == null.  Please report this on our forum @ forum.rptools.net.  Thank you!
It was displayed three times in the xterm from which I ran MapTool. I was running Linux, one player (A) was running Windows, and the other (B) was running OS X.

I had enabled individual token views, individual fog of war, strict ownership, and players can expose vision. At the time that this appeared, one player moved his token, and apparently random chunks of the map that were blocked off via VBL (so they were not in line of sight) were revealed. Those chunks were also outside of his range of vision (as indicated by the white sight border), and vision was set to night.

I can provide the campaign file if it will help. This campaign file was brought forward from b63 directly into b86.

Bug 2:

I restarted MapTool (without saving first), turned OFF individual token views (and therefore IFoW), but left "players can expose vision" on. I then used the hard fog tool to block out portions of the map that the tokens had already seen.

Without moving their tokens:
When no token was selected, my players could not see into the hard fog.
When a token was selected, the owning player could portions of the map inside the fog that were within his field of vision that I had just placed. When his token was not selected, those portions became hidden again. The other player could not see into the new fog, until he selected his token - and he then saw a different portion of the map, based upon his token's position, up to his range of vision.

Maybe not a bug:

I moved a third token (C), set to "PC" but not owned by either of the connected players, around a VBL corner. When no tokens were selected, both A and B could see C's token. When their own tokens were selected, they could not. I cannot tell if this is the way individual views off is supposed to work or not.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Azhrei wrote:I was going to try to get the "different NumPad keystrokes depending on which grid type is chosen" changed but a weird error has cropped up so I'm dropping it -- not important enough.
Well right now both the numpad controls and the arrow keys are completely jacked for hex grids. The arrow keys used to work before the recent changes.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Last Saturday I had the yearly 'laptop' session to play W40k. We had a session in b82. I have to say that stuff worked awesome, I particularly liked the iFoW which I had turned on for this game. I did run into a couple of bugs, partially within my own framework, so stuff to fix there, and partially in the MT environment;
- the grid off-set (but that's reported and I've understood fixed in b87)
- I've created a form which acts as a macro panel so it shows coloured buttons. However one player (that is one laptop) didn't show the background colours of the buttons. Does anyone know what could be the problem with that? IIRC he was running win7.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

wolph42 wrote:Last Saturday I had the yearly 'laptop' session to play W40k. We had a session in b82....
:shock: You do know that this is a B86 announcement thread, right? :P :)
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

yeah of course I know, I did my tests and checkups in b86 with the same problems, which are reflected in the above post. I just ran my game in b82. Granted I should have made the distinction clearer.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

wolph42 wrote:yeah of course I know, I did my tests and checkups in b86 with the same problems, which are reflected in the above post. I just ran my game in b82. Granted I should have made the distinction clearer.
My bad - I wasn't aware that you also did the testing in B86. :)
Thanks for the feedback!
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

LeopoldVonRanke
Giant

Post by LeopoldVonRanke »

Okay guys, had another session yesterday with b86, and I have to say: It crashed again on me twice, fatally. It seems far less stable than before (I showed the Mac crash report further above), but if it was only that I could probably live with it and blame it on Java's implementation in Mac OS X.
The issue with not being able to see what the players see, though, even when individual views and individual fogs of war are off, is becoming quite problematic for me as a game master.

I can no longer switch to the player vision easily, which worked flawlessly in the b70s versions, to see what they currently see. Sometimes they see things they should not see, and it is only due to their honesty of telling me that I can fix it. That is a real nuisance and makes me ponder going back to earlier versions. I think I'm afraid I have to say until this is fixed (again) this version cannot be called final. You had it working before, I remember vaguely that I encountered this bug in some version of the 70s, and it got very quickly fixed. It was definitely fine in b78. Somehow this bug got patched back in, and it really really blows.

Here is the diagnosis: Switching to Player View does not change anything, resp. simply turns all light sources off. Even when clicking on and impersonating a PC, nothing changes. The GM simply does not get a Player view.

As you all know, I love MT. I know this is a load of work. But please please fix this.

skester
Giant

Post by skester »

Last game we played, we had one player's maptools crash. Didn't capture the dump. But he rebooted and it worked fine after that.

It worked fine for me, and seemed a bit smoother. We are playing again on Sunday so I'll check for crashes again then.

Skester

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

LeopoldVonRanke wrote:Here is the diagnosis: Switching to Player View does not change anything, resp. simply turns all light sources off. Even when clicking on and impersonating a PC, nothing changes. The GM simply does not get a Player view.

As you all know, I love MT. I know this is a load of work. But please please fix this.

My experience (though not in-play, just during examination and messing around) was pretty frustrating too - the Player View option gave me what was, to me, a basically unpredictable view - it wasn't what the player saw or what I was looking at - some things were exposed, others were not. Although I don't for the life of me understand how individual view / fog works, it seems pretty clear there's some sort of bug in there somewhere. I can try later on to figure out a pattern to it if I can, but I too have had some "WTF" moments when trying to test out some player vs. GM views.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Yes, there must be someplace in the code that is supposed to make a list of all PC tokens owned by the current player for the purposes of displaying exposed fog areas... and there must be a bug in what gets added to the list. Maybe an IF statement is inverted (so that NPCs without sight are being added) or maybe the ownership check is wrong.

I've got this on my list to look at/for, but it won't happen before vacation is over on Monday.

Sir Flak
Dragon

Post by Sir Flak »

We're trying out a gurps framework. Get a NPE everytime you move the mouse over the grass.

Code: Select all

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.tool.PointerTool.mouseMoved(PointerTool.java:585)
	at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseMoved(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.processMouseMotionEvent(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseMotionEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.access$000(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.swing.MapToolEventQueue.dispatchEvent(MapToolEventQueue.java:38)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Azhrei wrote:Yes, there must be someplace in the code that is supposed to make a list of all PC tokens owned by the current player for the purposes of displaying exposed fog areas... and there must be a bug in what gets added to the list. Maybe an IF statement is inverted (so that NPCs without sight are being added) or maybe the ownership check is wrong.

I've got this on my list to look at/for, but it won't happen before vacation is over on Monday.
Did you happen to make any changes in that area? I know at one point you had mentioned to me about why I was using getTokens() and filtering in some method or other and I think that was right before you put out b86. Unfortunately, I won't get time in the next few weeks to look at it.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Sir Flak
Dragon

Post by Sir Flak »

Update to my above error report.

Apparently the NPE is cause by the lock movement of the init tracker (i don't normally use it but this framework had it on by default).

To reproduce: Make a PC token and add it to init. Make sure lock movement is checked.
Start A Server.
Connect a player and try to move the token. Boom.

I went back to b81 and it didn't have this NPE. Somewhere between 81 and 86 this was introduced.

Update: The behavior first appears in 1.3b83

Return to “Announcements”