MapTool 1.2 Development Release Build 26

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

At some point I'll get off my lazy butt and make MT notice new files without having to "look away for a moment". But at least there's a work around until then :)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

mikey
Giant

New issues

Post by mikey »

Okay I run MT on two computers both running on XP. MY desktop computer I updated and reorganized all my images in IE by going to the resource folder Trevor had directed me to. There I saw my previous folders and images and was able to shift and move things around, very nice.

My laptop I tried to do the same thing, but I couldn't see my previous folders that hold all of my images. WHen I go to the resource folder I only see the default folders, but when I run MT all of my images and folders are there in IE! I have like 20 different image folders in IE and they need to be organized better.

I went to the exact same place on may laptop as I did on my desktop. I find the resource folder .maptool but only see the default folders, where else could I get access to these folders?

Please help

Mikey

trevor

Post by trevor »

An important key to know is that the "Default" directory in the .maptool directory is where the defaults are stored, but is not required to put all your images there.

You can add any directory on your filesystem to the Image Explorer.

You probably did a File->Add Image Explorer Root, which added the directory to your image explorer.

Just find wherever those images are on your file system, and modify it there.

mikey
Giant

very limited

Post by mikey »

Sorry to keep harping, is there any easy way i can find this diretory or is there any way I can back into it? I am okay as far as being computer savy, but this has me stummped.

Mikey

trevor

Post by trevor »

If you are computer savy (as said), you can find the list of image explorer roots here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\/Map/Tool\prefs/asset/Roots

It's a ";" separated list of directories.

Phergus
Deity

Re: New issues

Post by Phergus »

mikey wrote:I went to the exact same place on may laptop as I did on my desktop. I find the resource folder .maptool but only see the default folders, where else could I get access to these folders?
I think there is a disconnect here.

When you add folders to the Image Explorer in MT you aren't creating new folders on your system anywhere. Those are just "links" to existing folders on your system.

If you add, for example, c:\some\directory\somewhere\maps to IE, it shows up in IE as "maps" but it is still in the same place on the c: drive.

If you don't like the organization of the folders as seen in IE. You should just remove them. Organize the files on your PC using normal Windows Explorer file/folder manipulation and then add the appropriate folders to IE in MT again.

mikey
Giant

YES

Post by mikey »

That is what I am doing now, and have done on my desktop. But all my awesome stuff is on my laptop. If I remove a folder from IE is that the same as deleting it? I do not want to delete anything if I can help it.

Mikey

trevor

Re: YES

Post by trevor »

mikey wrote:That is what I am doing now, and have done on my desktop. But all my awesome stuff is on my laptop. If I remove a folder from IE is that the same as deleting it? I do not want to delete anything if I can help it.

Mikey
Nope, "deleting" it in the IE only removes the pointer to that directory, and has no actual affect on the file system

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

No, you will not delete any files by deleting a "tree" from the Image Explorer.

mikey
Giant

smiles

Post by mikey »

darn all the time good news with you guys..
pop fizzzz pop fizzzzz

drinks are on me! :D

Mikey

trevor

Post by trevor »

Don't know if you know it, but the Image Explorer is just a shortcut convenience to the files on your filesystem. In fact, you could even just have your Windows Explorer open to your images directory and drag and drop directly from your Windows Explorer onto the map

Return to “Announcements”