MapTool 1.3 Final, patch04 (build 87)

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: MapTool 1.3 Final, patch04 (build 87)

Post by Azhrei »

Might be a driver issue. Java is likely passing commands to the video layer that tell it to draw a circle and that is likely passed further down the code stack. Do you run MT with any of the -D command line settings? If so, they might be having an effect. Or if not, maybe they're needed to workaround a bug in the driver...

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Ugh, that token movement erratic issue that crept back in is ANNOOYYYINNGGGGGG!!!!
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

dorpond wrote:Ugh, that token movement erratic issue that crept back in is ANNOOYYYINNGGGGGG!!!!
Yep, and not to mention the labels below the FOW, but I don't recall when that changed.

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 68#p210596

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

aliasmask wrote:
dorpond wrote:Ugh, that token movement erratic issue that crept back in is ANNOOYYYINNGGGGGG!!!!
Yep, and not to mention the labels below the FOW, but I don't recall when that changed.

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 68#p210596
Ugh, yes. After further testing, I found that this issue was introduced at 1.3B82. I am so surprised that nobody reported it. My group is still using 1.3B78 (DM's choice unfortunately) so that would explain why I didn't notice the problem.

Here is the issue:
http://dorpond.rptools.net/Bugs/LabelUn ... erFOW.html

I think both the movement erratic issue and the label issue are important enough to fix for final. To me that is the shiny stuff people notice when using Maptool and in my eyes a final should be as shiny as we can make it - especially since both of these issues were eliminated in previous versions. :P
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Taragnor
Cave Troll

Post by Taragnor »

neofax wrote:Can someone confirm that the filled circle for VBL doesn't show the area while drawing the VBL? I was making maps last night and tried to use it, but couldn't see where the final VBL was going to be.
Yes. for whatever reason, it's linked to the drawing tool. If you have your fill color set to transparent for whatever reason it makes the solid VBL circle entirely invisible (The non-filled VBL circle still works normally). If you make your fill color anything non transparent the VBL circle works normally. It's been that way for as long as I can remember, though nobody has ever fixed it.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Taragnor wrote:
neofax wrote:Can someone confirm that the filled circle for VBL doesn't show the area while drawing the VBL? I was making maps last night and tried to use it, but couldn't see where the final VBL was going to be.
Yes. for whatever reason, it's linked to the drawing tool. If you have your fill color set to transparent for whatever reason it makes the solid VBL circle entirely invisible (The non-filled VBL circle still works normally). If you make your fill color anything non transparent the VBL circle works normally. It's been that way for as long as I can remember, though nobody has ever fixed it.
Yep, confirmed. Can't see solid circle VBL being drawn if draw tool fill color is transparent.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Taragnor wrote:Yes. for whatever reason, it's linked to the drawing tool. If you have your fill color set to transparent for whatever reason it makes the solid VBL circle entirely invisible.
Wow, good catch! The other tools are probably setting their own Pen information and the filled oval tool is probably just missing that line of code. I'll check that out. Thanks!

seanrpg
Kobold

Post by seanrpg »

Something I have noticed with b87 is that it will not load several of my campaign files.

1.3b76 loads them fine, but b87 cannot. I have tried loading in b76 and re-saving, but it doesn't help. I would try incrementally upgrading MT through revisions but don't currently have time to try that.

Another issue is that floating windows keep going offscreen above and to the left of the main window on OSX when I have the app maximized. Every time I open a window now it does this so its not a show stopper, but it is very annoying.

If you want me to try any debugging steps, let me know what you need. I could also try and give you a campaign file that shows the load problem.

VisElEchNon
Cave Troll

Post by VisElEchNon »

If you wanna post the campaign file I can do the incremental revision checks... I currently have the time to do so. :)

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

seanrpg wrote:Something I have noticed with b87 is that it will not load several of my campaign files.
The change log at http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/MapTool_C ... version%29 describes multiple changes to the campaign file format between b76 and b87. Your campaign(s) probably fall into one of those issues.

If it turns out that other intermediate versions can't load a campaign, then yes, I'd like a link to one so that I can review it. Thanks.
Another issue is that floating windows keep going offscreen above and to the left of the main window on OSX when I have the app maximized. Every time I open a window now it does this so its not a show stopper, but it is very annoying.
Yes, I believe you reported this in one or two other threads. I have some time this week (and now next week as well) so I plan to do some research on this.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

I would like to mention a minor annoyance in the latest build. I'm not sure if its done intentional but currently when I delete a token then the confirmation button is per default on 'no' in stead of 'yes'. This requires me at least 2 and usually 5 (cause I keep doing del+enter and can redo it again) extra actions, which is a (up to now minor) annoyance, but is something that I would REALLY appreciate if its changed back.

Note that I *do* appreciate the confirmation window, cause it happens that you have e.g. the 'wrong' window active and press del or you accidentily hit that button. However that's enough, the extra conscience action of actual changing the no into yes is too much.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Hm, that must have happened with the update to the latest JIDE panels library. I had another issue with JIDE to look at (the panels appearing in the upper left corner of the screen) so I'll include this question into my research as well.

Unfortunately, I seem to have caught a bad cold or something and I'm going to try to stay flat on my back to recover as quickly as possible. Probably not a lot of MT work in the next couple of days...

Venatius
Dragon

Post by Venatius »

I know that "Me too" posts are of limited utility, but I would like to second Aliasmask's sudden UPnP issues. My problems appear to be mirroring his. Using a Netgear WNDR3700 router for what it's worth. Yes, UPnP is enabled, and worked fine in build 86. Just thought it might help the diagnostic issues to know it's not a 100% fluke - or at least, it's not so flukey as to not affect at least two people.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

I should probably post here just to confirm. I've done this in the Testers subforum of MapTool but I seem to get very little traffic there when I post. :|

Neofax posted about VBL problems with filled ovals. Those are fixed.

Newly created panels (frames, dialogs) will be centered above the main window now.

I believe I've fixed the UPNP problem. That third party library had been broken on OSX since an Apple update of Java early this year so I hadn't tested it on my laptop (a MacBookPro). I've since grabbed the source for the library and implemented a workaround for the Apple bug. In doing so I updated the library so that it uses/requires Java 5. I'll be putting a new copy of the library onto GoogleCode as sbbi-upnp-1.0.5 at some point. Alias's bug is related to an update of the Apache JXPath library so that it was more strictly conforming regarding default XML namespaces. I added some code to the UPNP library so that it no longer fails with the updated JXPath.

I still have the others on my list (token deletion defaulting to NO, bouncy movement on square grid maps, and labels below hard fog).

I'm not sure about the token deletion thing. It would seem to make sense for it to default to NO. Otherwise someone with an itchy finger on the Enter key deletes the token. And since that operation can't be undone...?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

About the token deletion thing. Two things:
1. It has always been the other way round and afaik nobody complained, and now at least one is complaining 8)
2. You still have to confirm a deletion, so what you say is that you first have to accidentally hit the delete button followed by accidentally hitting the enter button. You REALLY must have some itchy fingers to get that done.

Edit: as Im constantly further developing my FW I use quite a lot of test tokens. What I often do if I need to eg dbug something is put 10 copied tokens in a row, make change to macro, test on token and delete that token, rinse and repeat and I still keep getting the deletion wrong and it's really getting on my nerves. So I'm actually considering for the tine being to roll back to 86 or 82 for the dev (and keep it announced as a b87 build on the forum).

Also in dark heresy and certainly deathwatch it's quite common to have small armies (which was the main reason to switch to MT and build this FW as it close to undoable to keep track of states ammo hp etc of eg 20 npc's.
How I build the FW is when an npc get killed it's moved to the object layer. But sometimes with a laptop Beamer setup this is just annoying so I delete the manually, here too I'm still in b82 as b87 only offer the fixed grid light alignment, but that I had already manually fixed in my games so that leaves the disadvantage of the deletion. It's a small thing but if it's the only difference (for me) between 82 and 87... then it's enough to keep me from switching. I like to keep my games to go as smoothly as possible as I have the 20 npc, 6 players to keep in track and like to minimize ANY hurdle if possible.

Return to “Announcements”