MapTool 1.3 Final, patch04 (build 87)

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

RPTroll
TheBard

Re: MapTool 1.3 Final, patch04 (build 87)

Post by RPTroll »

I wrote two novels doing that.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Yeah, that trip is always fun... 16+ hours of fun going to Ho Chi Minh. And that's the quick flight. There's a couple with big layovers. Weather is nice over there now. Just don't go to flooding areas.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

CoveredInFish wrote:There is a workaround that your player can use - you can move the frame in "Spaces", a desktop overview he can activate. Im not sure if this works still under lion though.
Thanks for that. My player said it works for him.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Azhrei wrote:Yeah, I've been trying to get things together to do b88 for awhile now. :( I'll try to get the build out in the next day or two. It won't have all of the fixes in it that I want (which means there may be a b89), but at least it'll fix some of the common stuff (this issue, UPNP, Java 7 compatibility, etc).

I've finally got some virtual machines setup so that I can test on Windows and Linux, but RL has just gotten crazy busy. I might be doing some travel to Asia this year, but at least that will give me a lot of "quality time" with my laptop on the plane. ;)
+1

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

I'm still working too much. :(

I've got a class I'm teaching next week that I haven't finished writing yet. So in addition to teaching last week, I spent about 20 hours doing course development. Then another 10 hours so far this weekend. And I still have at least another 10 to do. Class starts on Tuesday. :|

Anyway, I'll get to b88 at some point. I'm not going to say when because that seems to jinx it! So everyone will just have to be pleasantly surprised when it happens. 8)

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Oh okay. Resorting to the Blizzard release schedule. It's done when it's done.

VisElEchNon
Cave Troll

Post by VisElEchNon »

"Blizzard release schedule" is more like "it's done when it's done in 13 years".

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Well.. so far it's far ahead of the Duke Nukeem release schedule time lapse...likely one of the longest ever!!!
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I just got a new player who is using Mac with lion, so no "spaces"(??) to fix the frame popup issue mentioned above. Are there any more solutions out there before b88 comes out? Is there a similar solution using another tool or process so he can move his frames around?

PS. I have very little mac experience other than tear down/build up and replacing component parts. Sort of like being able to fix a car without having ever learned to drive.

Helvegr
Cave Troll

Post by Helvegr »

aliasmask wrote:I just got a new player who is using Mac with lion, so no "spaces"(??) to fix the frame popup issue mentioned above. Are there any more solutions out there before b88 comes out? Is there a similar solution using another tool or process so he can move his frames around?

PS. I have very little mac experience other than tear down/build up and replacing component parts. Sort of like being able to fix a car without having ever learned to drive.

I run Lion as well and suffer from the same Frame issue. I"ve not yet found a workaround to allow me to get hold of that frame. I've tried just about everything I can think of. So I'm left waiting for b88.

LeopoldVonRanke
Giant

Post by LeopoldVonRanke »

Helvegr wrote:
aliasmask wrote:I just got a new player who is using Mac with lion, so no "spaces"(??) to fix the frame popup issue mentioned above. Are there any more solutions out there before b88 comes out? Is there a similar solution using another tool or process so he can move his frames around?

I run Lion as well and suffer from the same Frame issue. I"ve not yet found a workaround to allow me to get hold of that frame. I've tried just about everything I can think of. So I'm left waiting for b88.

Folks, honestly, ... Spaces has not been "removed" - it has been integrated and turned into what's now known as "Mission Control", which is an improvement over Spaces, if you ask me, once you get used to it:

Tell your users to go to Apple Menu (top left) -> System Preferences -> Mission Control

and make sure that either one of the "Active Corners" or one the Function Keys can call up Mission Control.
Then you can call up your spaces with it if need be, and the Mission Control overview shows you all your open windows and frames on all your open "spaces", and screens, et c.
If Mission Control is set to just one space, call it up, click the "+" button at the top right, and voila, you got your first additional space back; you can have as many as you like, each with a different background screen even, if you want.

Hope that helps, :wink:

Leo

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Thank Leo, I'll pass that along to the user.

LeopoldVonRanke
Giant

aliasmask wrote:Thank Leo, I'll pass that along to the user.
Hi alias,
just checked my own advice and noticed that the "+" sign for a new space in Mission Control actually only pops up if you move the mouse up there.
So that's a caveat: If your user tells you "I went to that mission control thang, and there ain't no plus sign for an additional space" - you can tell them to move the mouse to the top right corner and it just pops up. It's magic! :wink:

(The difference between Space and Mission Control is really that Spaces were set up in rows and columns, and Mission Control sets them up in a horizontal bar, and gives you an overview over all spaces simultaneously.)

Cheers

Leo

Helvegr
Cave Troll

Post by Helvegr »

LeopoldVonRanke wrote:
aliasmask wrote:Thank Leo, I'll pass that along to the user.
Hi alias,
just checked my own advice and noticed that the "+" sign for a new space in Mission Control actually only pops up if you move the mouse up there.
So that's a caveat: If your user tells you "I went to that mission control thang, and there ain't no plus sign for an additional space" - you can tell them to move the mouse to the top right corner and it just pops up. It's magic! :wink:

(The difference between Space and Mission Control is really that Spaces were set up in rows and columns, and Mission Control sets them up in a horizontal bar, and gives you an overview over all spaces simultaneously.)

Cheers

Leo
Accessing Mission Control has never been the problem for me. The problem has been that I can't grab that individual frame in MapTools and move it. At least for me, it sees it just as part of the MapTools application so I can only select it as a whole, which brings with it the frame that is off the screen.

Here is a screen snippet. You can see how it selects the entire application, not the little frame I need to move.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-03-08 at 7.23.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-03-08 at 7.23.49 PM.png (419.94 KiB) Viewed 2671 times

LeopoldVonRanke
Giant

Helvegr wrote: Accessing Mission Control has never been the problem for me. The problem has been that I can't grab that individual frame in MapTools and move it. At least for me, it sees it just as part of the MapTools application so I can only select it as a whole, which brings with it the frame that is off the screen.

Here is a screen snippet. You can see how it selects the entire application, not the little frame I need to move.
Hmm, you're right: that is because MapTool is running within a Java VM, and Lion sees the entire JavaVM as one app; its subframes are merely "drawings", rather than OS-registered windows.
Which means, MapTool is moved as a whole if you move it through Mission Control, correct?
Was that different in Spaces though?

It seems to me the frame you are opening is opened through a script. Any chance to access the script to move the window frame? Just a thought. On the same note, MapTool stores the screen coordinate data for the position of that frame somewhere when it shuts down, because it remembers it next time when it starts up.
It should therefore be possible to access that entry and change it in some storage file, if the frame should have gone offscreen.
Can anybody help with that?

Return to “Announcements”