WotC VT is gonna die.

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

jay
RPTools Team

WotC VT is gonna die.

Post by jay »

I got this concerning the VT beta:
Monday, July 09, 2012

I wanted to inform you all about an important decision that Wizards has made regarding the D&D Virtual Table and Virtual Table Beta. While we appreciate the enthusiasm and participation in the Beta phase, we were unable to generate enough support for the tool to launch a full version to the public. Effective July 30, 2012 the D&D Virtual Table Beta will be coming to an end and the VT will be closed.

Over the next three weeks, we encourage you to wrap up your existing campaigns and make sure to gather contact information from your online group members so that you can stay in touch if you like. We realize that because all data generated in the tool is in a proprietary format usable only by the Virtual Table, it is not possible to export your campaigns for use in another tool. You can, however, take screenshots of any notes, maps or adventures that you would like to hang on to or use in your home games.

We would like to thank everyone who participated in the VT Beta and look forward to continuing to support D&D game play through our D&D Insider digital tools and D&D Next.

neofax
Great Wyrm

Re: WotC VT is gonna die.

Post by neofax »

Funny, as Paizo is going to release their VTT soon. Supposedly it will be system agnostic and have all of the Paizo maps pre-built in.
Time-Zone information UTC -5

Guy Dude
Giant

Post by Guy Dude »

I knew this would be vaporware.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Does it count as vaporware if it actually existed and was in use for a while? It never left beta, but it did actually materialize temporarily.

Guy Dude
Giant

Post by Guy Dude »

I consider it such due to them outright shutting it down with no way to continue your work.

Xanex Caligula
Giant

Post by Xanex Caligula »

Rumble wrote:Does it count as vaporware if it actually existed and was in use for a while? It never left beta, but it did actually materialize temporarily.
Nope. Whatever else it is, the fact that it was there, people were using it, means vaporware is not the correct term.

Archeic
Kobold

Post by Archeic »

Well, that wasn't much of a surprise.

A VTT has to work with the concepts of freedom and imagination that D&D touts.

Return to “Announcements”