New Art Pack! Doors and Windows by Bogie!

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

dorpond
RPTools Team

New Art Pack! Doors and Windows by Bogie!

Post by dorpond »

Come gather around, friends! I have more good news for you!

Bogie, one of the heroes and moderators at Dundjinni.com, has stepped forth and agreed to help us in our quest for art! As a result, he has come up with an awesome doors and windows art pack! Now for the good part: 62 doors and 20 windows! Woohoo! The doors are designed to rotate within Maptool.

I have had the pleasure of working with Bogie over the last couple weeks and I have to say, he is an outstanding individual, looking only to better the gaming experience and to openly express his artistic talents. Let us all thank him for his hard work!
How to Download Art Pack
You can get his tile pack by simply by opening Maptool and going to:
File -> Add to Resource Library, and click on the red gear. You will see his pack in the list.
(Spoiler: He has more stuff coming soon *cough* 6 level sorceress tower *cough*) : )

Here are just a few examples of the doors:
Door_Tower2_FB.png
Door_Tower2_FB.png (22.68 KiB) Viewed 5135 times
Door122_iron 5ft_bg.png
Door122_iron 5ft_bg.png (17.38 KiB) Viewed 5135 times
Door-wood521_dr.png
Door-wood521_dr.png (11.05 KiB) Viewed 5135 times
Door-Wood-Iron2_bg.png
Door-Wood-Iron2_bg.png (13.5 KiB) Viewed 5135 times
Here is the license information:
License Information
Bogie's Art & Map Packs

If you like these maps, mapping objects and textures, please visit
RpgMapshare.com and Dundjinni.com Forums to see more. If you would
like to purchase other maps, please check out the marketplace at:

http://www.CreativeGremlins.com.

These maps and ArtPacks are provided under a Creative Commons - Attribution
- Non-Commercial - Share Alike License.

Essentially it means that you can edit them, redistribute them and
do what you like with them, as long as you don't sell them and you
credit me when they re-appear on the internet. Any redistribution
version has to come with the same license.

The full details of the license can be found here:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

If you wish to use any of this art for commercial purposes or have special
requests for custom maps, please contact me at:

[email protected]
Maptool Bugs
Couple things worth mentioning:
1. Unfortunately there was a bug in Maptool 1.3B86 that prevents you from downloading art packs – Booo! :P
2. 1.3B87 (the latest version of Maptool) allows you to get art packs just fine, however, the license file will not appear during installation. I will supply that below. This will be fixed in Maptool 1.3B88.
3. Maptool 1.3b60 through 1.3B84 works fine when it comes to downloading and installing Art Packs. B85 works but doesn't show the license.

Thank you Bogie for making our gaming experience better! You rock!

Natha
Dragon

Re: New Art Pack! Doors and Windows by Bogie!

Post by Natha »

Very good looking doors !
Thanks.
ImageImageImageImage

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Awesome!
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Jshock
Dragon

Post by Jshock »

It looks like the Dundjinni stuff is all 200 ppi... just curious if anyone's tested this stuff for performance yet. How bad of a hit does that end up being?

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Jshock wrote:It looks like the Dundjinni stuff is all 200 ppi... just curious if anyone's tested this stuff for performance yet. How bad of a hit does that end up being?
I was worried about this initially when Maptool was at 1.1 and 1.2, but today, I am not all that worried. Mainly because computers have more RAM in them nowadays than they used to. That and we have more bandwidth on our phones than we had with the now extinct dial-up modems. I just do see that much of a concern anymore.

Plus, this is a door pack and for the most part, you will pick 3-4 doors you like and copy and paste them throughout the map so your are still only using a small portion of memory.

Let's take a look at Probono's tiles for example. You will find then when building a dungeon with tiles, you use many of the same pieces over and over again. As a result, you can make a MASSIVE dungeon running MT at very low memory (512M) and still have extra memory to spare. Check out the memory I am using here: http://dorpond.rptools.net/demos/ProBon ... Tiles.html

So while I understand your concern, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think it is good having some high resolution art along with middle of the road stuff. Plus more and more users at Dundjinni.com are going to be offering us some map packs so we will want some snazzy doors to use with them. ;)

Are there any others who are concerned about this? If so, I will consider other options moving forward.
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Kzintzi
Giant

Post by Kzintzi »

I think it's Awesome :o)

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

dorpond wrote:Are there any others who are concerned about this? If so, I will consider other options moving forward.
As someone who grew up with very slow dialup (300baud!) and gradually upgraded, I have empathy for folks with slow links.

Perhaps we should be auto-creating repository files for each artpack? Then when a GM installs an artpack onto their computer, the repository for that artpack could be automatically added to the current and future campaigns? That would allow clients to get those assets from RPTools.net instead of the server.

Or perhaps a list of URLs could be put into a text file in the same directory as the license file and that list of URLs could be used as the default locations to search for a repository index? That way the graphics are not tied to a particular URL on a particular server...

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

That is definately something to think about, Azhrei! My only question is bandwidth - what if home bandwidth is faster than RPTools? Will it be smart enough to know where to pull the resources from? For example, I have high speed FIOS, which is blistering fast, but when I download copies of Maptool 1.3 from RPTools, it seems slow which suggests RPTools can get slow at times - slower than my FIOS anyway. I have no idea what our website bandwidth is, but I figured I would mention the concern anyway.
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

You're correct, of course. Shared hosting sites typically have very sporadic access rates. :|

And no, I don't propose that MT keep track of the average access times to multiple URLs and then use whichever is faster. On a machine with a really big pipe, it might be worthwhile to make requests to ALL of the URLs and when one returns a result simply close the connections on the others. But I really don't want to go there for people that are running MT at home or from a hotel connection, when those connections aren't very fast. In some cases just going through a proxy would be enough to make all of the requests that much slower. :(

At some point we'll rewrite the network layer so that the end user has more control over how MT uses their bandwidth. I guess for now we could create the index files and let the GM choose whether they want to use rptools.net or not. The default would be "not" since they would have to explicitly add the repository information to their campaign preferences.

Return to “Announcements”