New Art Pack! Dorpond's Tree Pack 1

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

dorpond
RPTools Team

New Art Pack! Dorpond's Tree Pack 1

Post by dorpond »

Dorpond? Who's that?? :lol:

I don't think there will ever be enough trees out there, so I decided to make some for you all! I used Tree[d] to make them and used the stock leaf colors except the late fall leaves - those were my own color choices (since that is how my trees currently look in my back yard).

If you guys have more interest in trees like these, let me know - I can make them very quickly at this point.
How to Download Art Pack
You can get his tile pack by simply by opening Maptool and going to:
File -> Add to Resource Library, and click on the red gear. You will see his pack in the list.
Here is an example:
Tree50.png
Tree50.png (446.14 KiB) Viewed 4376 times
Tree05.png
Tree05.png (437.86 KiB) Viewed 4376 times
Tree27.png
Tree27.png (467.48 KiB) Viewed 4376 times
Tree38.png
Tree38.png (421.36 KiB) Viewed 4376 times
Here is the contact sheet:
Contact Sheet.JPG
Contact Sheet.JPG (144.71 KiB) Viewed 4376 times
Maptool Bugs
Couple things worth mentioning:
1. Unfortunately there was a bug in Maptool 1.3B86 that prevents you from downloading art packs – Booo! :P
2. 1.3B87 (the latest version of Maptool) allows you to get art packs just fine, however, the license file will not appear during installation. I will supply that below. This will be fixed in Maptool 1.3B88.
3. Maptool 1.3b60 through 1.3B84 works fine when it comes to downloading and installing Art Packs. B85 works but doesn't show the license.
Enjoy!
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

teejaydub
Cave Troll

Re: New Art Pack! Dorpond's Tree Pack 1

Post by teejaydub »

This is a REALLY useful resource. Thanks!

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

teejaydub wrote:This is a REALLY useful resource. Thanks!
Yeah, every GM needs helpful resources in his trusty toolbox. Trees are a must.
Glad you like! :D

Bone White
Great Wyrm

Post by Bone White »

I really love the detail on the leaves, I am greatly impressed. I want to use them right now... if only I had people (and had finished my framework...) then I'd be using them.

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

Useful, beautiful , thanks !
ImageImageImageImage

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

FYI for new folks...

The file size on each tree is 500KB, so they're fairly big images. But you can copy a single tree into a campaign and use it over and over (on one or more maps) and clients only have to download it once. That means a single tree copied all over is very efficient, but a separate tree image for each tree is going to blow the campaign file size way up.

See the Sticky thread under Tools > MapTool on "MapTool memory usage and map sizes" for details.

(Oh, and you can scale and rotate images on a map any way you like (including stretching and flipping) and the image is only in the campaign once.)

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Trees came in handy the other day. I did use a technique discussed on dundjinni to add snow to the tree. Turned out pretty well.
Tree14.png
Tree14.png (131.88 KiB) Viewed 4079 times
Tree14s.png
Tree14s.png (113.7 KiB) Viewed 4079 times
Here's a slightly zoomed out version where I applied it to some buildings as well.
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (73.57 KiB) Viewed 4079 times
As a result, my map turned out pretty well from all the resources you've been putting on here. Thanks a lot and keep em comin'.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Cool!

But... Usually the leaves are gone, or close to gone, in the winter season. Right?
That was why I added snow to the bare trees (in pack4 I believe). I never thought there would be a need for snow on green trees.

I guess a magical snow storm could create the need. *shrug*

Thanks for sharing!
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

dorpond wrote:I never thought there would be a need for snow on green trees.
Um, "evergreens"?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

dorpond wrote:Cool!

But... Usually the leaves are gone, or close to gone, in the winter season. Right?
That was why I added snow to the bare trees (in pack4 I believe). I never thought there would be a need for snow on green trees.

I guess a magical snow storm could create the need. *shrug*

Thanks for sharing!
That's true for leafy trees, but evergreens keep their green during winter. Technically, I updated a leafy tree, but I liked the shape of this tree. I actually put the the leafless tree on the map first, but it kind of disappeared in to the background, so I went with the snow covered tree. Plus, it's a fantasy world ;)

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Azhrei wrote:
dorpond wrote:I never thought there would be a need for snow on green trees.
Um, "evergreens"?
Heh. You misunderstood my term "green trees". I live in Western New York and am surrounded by snow covered evergreens. I am fully aware of those suckers. :)
When I released pack 2, I hand painted some evergreens white but the pack got a little two big. They were going in pack 5 if I ever got to it. If not, I'll release them as an extra. It looks like aliasmask could use them! If you need some aliasmask, let me know and I'll upload them.

So aliasmask, I love your snow scene. I wish we had more snow and desert stuff. Perhaps I will see if Bogie can help us out in that area, or at least point me to someone who would love to aid us.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I would LOVE more winter stuff, since my campaign will have many more snow scenes. I uploaded my map for the community HERE if you're interested in a premade map. It's based on Zagig's Bridge from a wotc module which is the bridge you cross going from the city of Greyhawk to Greyhawk Castle. I changed a couple of details and made it a snow scene. All the images are open source gathered from many sources (the usual suspects in the links area).

Return to “Announcements”