Art Packs: Additional Size Options

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

dorpond
RPTools Team

Art Packs: Additional Size Options

Post by dorpond »

I began thinking about Jshock's comment in another release thread about the size of recent artpacks, and I decided to release art packs in three sizes. Not the map packs, art packs (objects) and tile packs will be in three different sizes:

Grid200, Grid100 and Grid50

This will definitely allow GM's to optimize their performance better in low bandwidth situations. Let's face it, the size difference of this tile pack is 36meg (Grid200) and 3meg (Grid50); that really can make a difference when sending map assets to low bandwidth players.

Options are good, right? :)
Now you can choose between fantastic Beauty (grid200) and not-so-pretty but performs better (less than Grid200) - you have options.

So far I have re-sized all of ProBono's Tiles and they are now available to download.

Try to download what you tend to use, moving forward, instead of all three - this not only saves on Bandwidth but it will also give me an idea of what people tend to use most when looking at the log files. It gives me a little insight.

So, throughout the day/week, I will go through the other grid200 packs (objects and tiles only) and make the changes.

If you have any thoughts on this, please post it here.

Thank you,
Dorpond
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

teejaydub
Cave Troll

Re: Art Packs: Additional Size Options

Post by teejaydub »

Thanks so much! I standardized on 50 ppi a long time ago and it's great to have the resources already converted.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

teejaydub wrote:Thanks so much! I standardized on 50 ppi a long time ago and it's great to have the resources already converted.
Yeah, my senses tend to agree that this will make most users happy, and well, we try to make users as happy as possible here at RPTools.net :)

OK, I just converted:
[edit] Doors and Windows by Bogie!
[edit] Steel General's Sewer Tiles!
[edit] Dorpond's Tree Pack 1!
[edit] Tavern Pack by Greytale!

I think that covers them all! All the remaining packs are lower resolution, I believe, so they need no change.
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

teejaydub wrote:Thanks so much! I standardized on 50 ppi a long time ago and it's great to have the resources already converted.
Ditto ,ditto and ditto !

Telarus
Giant

Post by Telarus »

Very cool of you. This is also extremely helpful for me to have good standards to shoot for when I get to my environment art assets for here (once I work the last bugs out of my framework, lol).

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

might I make a (minor) suggestion:

Could you sort the list available on gridsize and then on name. I don't know how its currently sorted, save that the grid options are per package, while I would prefer to see all packages belonging to one grid size as you will download one type anyway. Especially if this list gets longer in the future ( :mrgreen: ) then that makes it a lot easier find what you want.

thanks!

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

wolph42 wrote:might I make a (minor) suggestion:

Could you sort the list available on gridsize and then on name. I don't know how its currently sorted, save that the grid options are per package, while I would prefer to see all packages belonging to one grid size as you will download one type anyway. Especially if this list gets longer in the future ( :mrgreen: ) then that makes it a lot easier find what you want.

thanks!
That's a good idea. Locally, I usually just put them in different folders when there are different grid sizes of the same image. I haven't looked at or downloaded these yet, but is sound like they're all in the same folder.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

wolph42 wrote:might I make a (minor) suggestion:

thanks!
I *might* be able to organize the list as they appear during download. I it works like I think, that should be relatively easy on my end because all I would do is organize the line items in the text file accordingly.

To have the organized in your Maptool Library is a lot more cumbersome, since I would need to rename all the artpack files and then edit the txt file that points to them. The problem isn't labor hours, it is that afterwards, everyone will see the whole list of artpacks again (to download), even though they already have them. I guess the real question is this: How should art packs be named? Should we come up with a naming standard that work best for most? I am sure we will make all this process even better in 1.4 and/or 2.0 but for now do we just live with the way it is or should we put man hours into it to make it better? Let me talk it over with the team.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I brought it up with the team and Azhrei is going to look into some options. For now however, I will not make any changes with how they are released until I hear back from him.

Return to “Announcements”