MapTool 1.2 Release Candidate Build 30

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

mosat
Giant

Post by mosat »

trevor wrote:It's the mac part that's causing it. Just add "run" to the end of the command line you put in your shell script.
OK, that did the trick.

Odd though, shouldn't it run when you double click the jar?
~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
~ PCGen Data, Docs & Tracker Chimp
~ Outputsheet Tamarin & Mac build guru

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

mosat wrote: Odd though, shouldn't it run when you double click the jar?
Actually that was the change that made the dialog show up. People that were unfamiliar with the difference between a bat file and a jar file were double clicking the jar file, which runs at default memory, and then they get all sorts of weird errors and connection problems because they run out of memory. So I made the default launch of the jar file tell the user to use one of the supplied scripts. I could put in some of the shell scripts for linux/OSX
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

mosat
Giant

Post by mosat »

trevor wrote:I could put in some of the shell scripts for linux/OSX
That would be good but I couldn't tell you how to do it, my script is dependent on the files location, but I'm not very code savy.

I'm familiar with the problem since PCGen suffers from it as well. We include a shell script along with the bat files.

The better solution we have is a separate download for Macs. We use the Jar Bundler to create a Mac app package which contains all the files as well as the additional memory bump and a nice big OSX icon. It makes it look and feel more like a Mac program.
~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
~ PCGen Data, Docs & Tracker Chimp
~ Outputsheet Tamarin & Mac build guru

trevor

Post by trevor »

mosat wrote: The better solution we have is a separate download for Macs. We use the Jar Bundler to create a Mac app package which contains all the files as well as the additional memory bump and a nice big OSX icon. It makes it look and feel more like a Mac program.
True, and I've done this before for a different app. I might take a look at throwing this together until we get it into an automated build

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Trevor, I think trying to come up with something that creates only one start-up file would be a good idea. I'm not sure this new "fix" is really helping people run the right file without external intervention/clarification.

Could you make MT ask what memory config someone wants to use when they launch the ap and give selections based on the memory that their system has (possibly with a recommendation)? And maybe have a "Remember Setting. Don't Show This Selection Again." check box?

Or is this some kind of limitation of Java that only the bat file can set the memory allocation?

Along the same line of thought, you might want to have MT shoot some warning messages to players when they are approaching the limit of their current memory setting and suggest that they increase it (and tell them how.)

trevor

Post by trevor »

Unfortunately you have to specify the memory configuration at launch time.

What the team has discussed is to create a launch program that asks you that kind of information and runs the program itself. What I wrote was an attempt to move in that direction.

Return to “Announcements”