MapTool 1.3 Final, patch05 (build 88)

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: MapTool 1.3 Final, patch05 (build 88)

Post by Azhrei »

wolph42 wrote:Is that a bug?
Note that he said "free size", which applies only to Objects and Background images. And yes, those can be "freely resized" using the bottom-right corner's resizing handle.

Tokens and Hidden images can be set to "native size" and are not resizable (because their footprint is important, supposedly). Instead, the Config tab of the token editor can be used to resize the graphics image up to 2x without changing its footprint.
and one question: campaign files from b87 and b88 compatible both ways?
They should be. The campaign file version number did not increment in this release, so saving the campaign file will save it using the "1.3.b87" version number. (The version number of the file format is only supposed to update when an incompatible change is made. That didn't happen for b88.)

However, clients running a different version will not be able to connect. So all MapTool instances need to be b87 or b88, not a mix. (This doesn't apply to those running MapTool from Eclipse, since the "development" version has special code to allow connecting to any version for testing purposes. Be very careful with this if you're running MapTool from Eclipse because some things can get very weird if the individual instances don't match up. It's expected that this is okay for developers, since that's probably what they're testing. :))

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

No surprise, I got the same "PaintChooser" error starting MapTool.
Windows 7 (32bits)
Java 1.6.0.29
Spoiler
java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 0
at net.rptools.lib.swing.PaintChooser.<init>(PaintChooser.java:68)
at net.rptools.lib.swing.ColorPicker.<init>(ColorPicker.java:59)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.MapToolFrame.<init>(MapToolFrame.java:298)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.MapTool.initialize(MapTool.java:579)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.MapTool.access$2(MapTool.java:545)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.MapTool$6.run(MapTool.java:1220)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$000(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.swing.MapToolEventQueue.dispatchEvent(MapToolEventQueue.java:38)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
ImageImageImageImage

Raoden
Dragon

Post by Raoden »

Azhrei wrote:I've been able to reproduce this Freesize issue with a b87 campaign.

It appears that a fix applied previously to force initial map draws to work correctly when a campaign is loaded is clearing a cache at the wrong time. Since the cache is empty, the Object tool can't find it and the token size is required later in the function so the Object tool simply stop rendering the object at that point (the selection box has been drawn, but not the resizing handle).

This will take some time to fix because I'll need to go back to the original bug (maps not drawn correctly on initial load) and fix that one the right way. Whatever that is. ;)
Huh. That explanation makes it seem quite strange that loading the campaign up in b87 fixed the problem somehow ...
aliasmask wrote:I've seen this, but I've always been able to get it to work by doing various things like changing layers or changing token size to medium then back to freesize.. I don't recall what worked though.
I tried changing them to background layer. Unlike Wolph, that didn't solve the issue. I don't remember if I tried changing them to Medium size then back to Freesize, though. I'll try that if it happens again ...
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed."
- G. K. Chesterton

Wonderful HTML/CSS reference * Color Manager * Token Manager 2.0

Corsario
Giant

Post by Corsario »

Thank you so much! Looking forward to use it!
Saludos
--
El Corsario Negro

brexor
Cave Troll

Post by brexor »

I've some odd occurrences with b88 (and not b87).
- before (87) I was able to pull token images that now don't seem to show with no change to coding. I send tokenIDs and image assets through a macro.arg and it returns a broken image box-thingie.

- I get 'no Impersonated Token' error running macros that weren't there before (in 87).

I'm so confused!

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

brexor wrote:I've some odd occurrences with b88 (and not b87).
- before (87) I was able to pull token images that now don't seem to show with no change to coding. I send tokenIDs and image assets through a macro.arg and it returns a broken image box-thingie.

- I get 'no Impersonated Token' error running macros that weren't there before (in 87).

I'm so confused!
I mentioned the broken image thing using input and label, is that what you're talking about? Need more info about impersonated token though. Also, if this is a part of using a framework, you should post the error there.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Oh wow, that's a bad bug. I dragged one rptok to map from library just fine, but ANY other rptok token I drag from library OR explorer just removes and duplicates the first one.

I played around with it a bit. If I create a new map I can drag tokens from explorer with no problem, but as soon as I drag a token from the library dragging from explorer no longer works for that map (corrupted). I can copy/paste from one map to the corrupted map, but dragging from the library or explorer still doesn't work for that map.

So, if you have a corrupted map you can create a new map, drag your tokens from explorer to new map then copy from new map to corrupted map. Copy/paste works on corrupted map.

Exporting map, deleting corrupted map and re-importing it does un-corrupt it allowing tokens to be dragged on from explorer.

This is only a bug for rptok tokens, not png or other images from explorer or library.

edit: b88 and b87 seem pretty compatible for saving and loading, so I've been doing my map editing in b87 but game playing in b88 because of the frame popup fix.

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

First of all, thanks Azhrei for the hard work put into this. I've been working on another project in RL and was glad to find that b88 has finally come out :) Being away has made me unfamiliar with some of the more salient points of MT; which brings me to my suggestion: I think it's best to create a batch file/process that runs the registry entries backup prior to running the provided .reg file that wipes everything clean. That or put some warning/instruction somewhere I guess instead of just an innocuous looking file :lol:

As everyone can guess, I fell right into the trap and wiped all my Global macros from the registry :shock: I made the added mistake of running b88 right after, thus losing all hope of key recovery :roll:

Sigh, that's what I get for not touching MT for 3 months and doing this at 3am in the morning :lol: Those were a lot of convenience macros lost XD. I just might crawl into a ball back in bed and weep :lol:

Anyway, if anyone should make the same mistake I did and ran the registry entries wipe by mistake, here's what you can try to do if, and only if, you didn't run MT right after (though it won't hurt to try):

1. Don't reboot/shutdown. If you're the cautious type, backup your registry and/or create a system restore point.
2. Download yaru, or some other utility that does the same thing. I use this since it's lightweight, has no dependencies and can parse registry hives for deleted entries
3. Opening the utility, you'll have to point out where you want it to look; in this case, you'll want to choose Open Software (local) under the File menue as the MT macros are found there.
4. With any luck, the tool will be able to parse the hive and display deleted entries which you'll find at the bottom of the tree to the left of the screen. Steps to export these entries as .reg files in order to re-inject them into the actual registry can be found online as I'm starting to nod off here :lol: As you might guess, since the registry is a volatile thing, putting off the recovery will likely spell failure for any future recovery attempt.
5. In the event of failure, you can try opening the actual registry (e.g through Window's regedit) and exporting the part of the registry that held the MT data as a hive file and have the tool comb through that. I'm pretty sure though that if the 1st 4 steps failed to yield results, the odds for success are pretty slim at best.

I'm still happy about the new release. Though the code I lost was significant and likely to put me off coding with MT while I deal with the shock, it was my fault in the first place :lol: I did notice that some of the bugs I submitted for a fix are still around, like radio buttons keeping focus instead of transferring it to the "Ok" button upon hitting the return key. Things look snappier though and I'll get to testing other stuff in the coming days to help out in the process :)

Thanks again for the hard work!

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

@Lee

If you want to recover those lost registry keys you can probably do it with your system restore. Here's what you can do.

• Run system restore and create a restore point for today.
    • Go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System tools | System Restore
    • Create a Restore Point --> Next
    • Enter Restore Point Name --> Create
    • Go back to main menu --> Home
  • Restore computer to earlier point
    • Restore my computer to an earlier time --> Next
    • Click calendar for most recent restore point before incident usually labelled "System Checkpoint" --> Next
    • Read Warning
    • After you've closed all the other programs click "Next" to restore and your computer will be restarted.
  • Go to MapTool install directory and run "Backup MapTool Registry Entries.bat". This will create mtsave.reg with all your registry keys.
  • You can either leave your system as is or undo last restore and run mtsave.reg. You can follow "Restore computer to earlier point" above and use your save point used in step 1.
This is the process done with Windows XP and other Window systems may have different ways of getting to the system restore (I'm not sure) and menus, but the process should basically be the same.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Lee wrote:First of all, thanks Azhrei for the hard work put into this.
Well, there are numerous issues being reported, so don't thank me yet. :?
I think it's best to create a batch file/process that runs the registry entries backup prior to running the provided .reg file that wipes everything clean. That or put some warning/instruction somewhere I guess instead of just an innocuous looking file :lol:
Heh, an "innocuous looking file" that's named Remove all MapTool Registery Entries.reg? Is it really that innocuous?! 8)

But I suppose a bat file that runs the backup script first, then runs the .reg that removes them is a very reasonable idea! Regardless of what time in the morning you're running them... ;)

I've been busy today folks, so I haven't poked into MT much today, but I'm going to look at it a bit right now and then will try to spend some time on it tomorrow during the day, if possible. Thanks for hanging in there!

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

aliasmask wrote:
Azhrei wrote:I've been able to reproduce this Freesize issue with a b87 campaign.

It appears that a fix applied previously to force initial map draws to work correctly when a campaign is loaded is clearing a cache at the wrong time. Since the cache is empty, the Object tool can't find it and the token size is required later in the function so the Object tool simply stop rendering the object at that point (the selection box has been drawn, but not the resizing handle).

This will take some time to fix because I'll need to go back to the original bug (maps not drawn correctly on initial load) and fix that one the right way. Whatever that is. ;)
I've seen this, but I've always been able to get it to work by doing various things like changing layers or changing token size to medium then back to freesize.. I don't recall what worked though.
Okay, I've now run in to the same problem. I haven't tested it fully to give my full review of problem, but it's on a campaign saved in b87 and then saved in b88. Those existing maps won't let me resize any images from the library or dropped from explorer. I can create a new map and resize an image and then copy/paste to corrupted map, but it will not allow resizing. I've also tried exporting and importing the map with no success. I can reload the map in b87 and have it work.

Okay, I've narrowed it down. New Campaign, drop token on background (resizable), drop token on token layer (background not resizable). New Campaign, drop token on token layer, drop token on background (not resizable).

So, once a token is dropped on to the token layer, no other tokens can be resized in b88.

edit: Actually, it's worse than that. As soon as a token is moved to the token layer images can not be resized. (ie dropped to background, changed to medium, changed to token layer. drop to background - no longer resizable)

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

@aliasmask Thanks for the tip, it was one of the first things I tried. This PC I'm using has an HD with very limited capacity, and since I've always been careful with my stuff (oh the irony), I disabled the automated recovery point creation years ago :lol: I do appreciate the help though :)

@Azhrei :lol: As I've said, it was a groggy early morning and while the file name did give me pause (like 2 seconds), I viewed what was in the file and said to myself when I saw the one-liner "Ah it's probably just references to what's in the appdata/etc folder, I could manually restore that later if ever..." It looked like a shiny red button so I pushed it :lol: and when I fired up MT and saw a blank Global, that was the only time I recalled that tidbit about MT storing Global in the registry :D I went from "Whoopiee, new MT." to "Uh-oh..." really quick after that :lol:

Good luck with sorting through the bugs. I'd just like to say what was improved were great improvements :)

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

With the resize bug and the 'if I drag a 2nd token to the map it's not placed but instead the first token is moved to that spot' bug. Should b88 not be marked as 'broken' as to me these seem rather severe bugs?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

wolph42 wrote:With the resize bug and the 'if I drag a 2nd token to the map it's not placed but instead the first token is moved to that spot' bug. Should b88 not be marked as 'broken' as to me these seem rather severe bugs?
You're probably right, although I'll still use the broken one because it has a major fix in there for one of my players.

Daeger
Cave Troll

Post by Daeger »

wolph42 wrote:With the resize bug and the 'if I drag a 2nd token to the map it's not placed but instead the first token is moved to that spot' bug. Should b88 not be marked as 'broken' as to me these seem rather severe bugs?
Not to mention the fact it doesn't even work at all for some of us.

Return to “Announcements”