New Art Pack! CSP Dungeon Geomorphs!

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

dorpond
RPTools Team

New Art Pack! CSP Dungeon Geomorphs!

Post by dorpond »

Jesters, silence please, I have some grand news to share with all of our guests!

A couple weeks ago, Probono, told me about another tile artist and gave me a link to a thread over at ENWorld. I checked it out and quickly contacted the author about the material he was putting together. Since then, I have formed a great relationship with him - he really is a top notch guy, who like all of us, wants to make gaming as smooth sailing and easy as possible! His name is Kristian Richards, and his website can be found here:

http://crookedstaff.blogspot.com/

Kristian has agreed to offer up his 52 geomorph tiles, so they are readily available to all Maptool users as an art pack! Not only that, he also made some extras (dead ends, walls, and stairs) to throw in as a bonus! These tiles are designed to be used at a Grid50 setting.

Thank you very much, my good man! Bravo! Bravo!

Kristian has other material which can be found here at a very reasonable price - go check it out!:

http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?&manufacturers_id=3785
How to Download Art Pack
You can get his tile pack by simply by opening Maptool and going to:
File -> Add to Resource Library, and click on the red gear. You will see his pack in the list.
Here are a couple example tiles:
csp005.jpg
csp005.jpg (292.03 KiB) Viewed 10024 times
csp025.jpg
csp025.jpg (294.47 KiB) Viewed 10024 times
dead_end_north.jpg
dead_end_north.jpg (20.93 KiB) Viewed 10024 times
steps_east_down.jpg
steps_east_down.jpg (31.75 KiB) Viewed 10024 times
Here is the contact sheet showing all of the tiles:
CSP-ContactSheet.JPG
CSP-ContactSheet.JPG (214.72 KiB) Viewed 10024 times
Here is a quick map I put together in under 20 seconds:
CSP.png
CSP.png (949.95 KiB) Viewed 10024 times
Here is the license information:
License Information
This map-pack was created by Kristian Richards
of Crooked Staff Publishing

If you would like to know more about Crooked Staff
Publishing then please visit the Crooked Staff
Blog or the RPGNow Store:

http://crookedstaff.blogspot.com

http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?&manufacturers_id=3785

These maps are provided under a Creative Commons - Attribution -
Non-commercial - Share Alike license.

The full details of the license can be found here:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0
Maptool Bugs
Couple things worth mentioning:
1. Unfortunately there was a bug in Maptool 1.3B86 that prevents you from downloading art packs – Booo! :P
2. 1.3B87 (the latest version of Maptool) allows you to get art packs just fine, however, the license file will not appear during installation. I supplied the license above. This will be fixed in Maptool 1.3B88.
3. Maptool 1.3b60 through 1.3B84 works fine when it comes to downloading and installing Art Packs. B85 works but doesn't show the license.
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Natha
Dragon

Re: New Art Pack! CSP Dungeon Geomorphs!

Post by Natha »

Great stuff.
Thanks for sharing !

So, now, who wants to write random generator macro(s) based on these tiles ?
:mrgreen:
ImageImageImageImage

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Kristian's tiles are excellent. I've been using his stuff from the CSP site for years.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Very nice. This would go great with a random dungeon generator.

notbono
Cave Troll

Post by notbono »

Beautiful set, thanks! Now I wish we had drag and drop vision blocking tiles.

Benz72
Giant

Post by Benz72 »

Neat, does anyone know of a way to erase/cover/hide/eliminate the square grid lines in the pictures?

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Benz72 wrote:Neat, does anyone know of a way to erase/cover/hide/eliminate the square grid lines in the pictures?
Options:
1. Ask the artist nicely if he has the ability to make a whole new set without a grid. Artists may or may not put the effort into something like that. Offering a nice donation helps, since it does take time to do all that.
2. Painfully edit each line, in each tile, using an app like Photoshop. 52 tiles? Hmmm, there are several hours lost.. Heh :P

Sorry, but when the grid is built in, that is all you have for options.
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

Thanks for this awesome tileset.

I really like how simple - but well made - they are (style-wise). That combined with the many different layouts should make them fit in lots of cases.

Benz72
Giant

Post by Benz72 »

dorpond wrote:
Benz72 wrote:Neat, does anyone know of a way to erase/cover/hide/eliminate the square grid lines in the pictures?
Options:
1. Ask the artist nicely if he has the ability to make a whole new set without a grid. Artists may or may not put the effort into something like that. Offering a nice donation helps, since it does take time to do all that.
2. Painfully edit each line, in each tile, using an app like Photoshop. 52 tiles? Hmmm, there are several hours lost.. Heh :P

Sorry, but when the grid is built in, that is all you have for options.

Thanks,
I was hoping it was some kind of internal switch on the map program that generated them, but if it's hard coded in then it's probably not worth the effort.

csp_kris
Kobold

Post by csp_kris »

Hello all!

First of all, thanks for the kind words everyone ...it's good to see that the tile-set is being well received :)
Benz72 wrote:...does anyone know of a way to erase/cover/hide/eliminate the square grid lines in the pictures?
Unfortunately it is part of the actual image (drawn in photoshop) - and while it's not totally impossible to go back and remove the 'stone slab' effect from all the tiles, it would be a rather large undertaking to redo them all at this stage.
aliasmask wrote:This would go great with a random dungeon generator.
That's something I'd love to see myself :)

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

There is Wolf's Drop-in dungeon builder, but I've never actually created a dungeon with it so I don't know how much work it'll take to use your tileset.

As for the lines, yeah, they seem like the lines of the blocked stone rather than grid lines. I was actually wondering myself if I were to apply some kind of filter to these how it would look on other backgrounds, say be removing all the gray and keeping the black details.

Actually, I went ahead and tried this and it turned out pretty well. It only took me like 30 seconds to do. Basically, I used threshhold to find what level of blacks I want then I copied the "black" areas from original map and applied it to a tiled texture and used the luminance filter.
||| Example |||
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (221.71 KiB) Viewed 9936 times
Turned out pretty good for so little work, IMO. I could go back and remove the grid (I would need to re-add the shadows, but like OP said, that would take some work.

username
Dragon

Post by username »

The followin also took me about hald a minute in GIMP:
  • * load the image.
    * choose select connected area (magic wand) with threshold 80 and edge fading of 10
    * click somewhere on the inside of a square and repeat once or twice until you select "too much" (you possible need to undo the last)
    * fill the selection with a floor of you choice
    * save
I chose a uniformly (ugly) color to demonstrate the effect. (I also left in the wrongly filled corner, to show that you should eyeball your work and not aim for beating the 30s.:-)
Example
sample.jpg
sample.jpg (146.69 KiB) Viewed 9905 times

Benz72
Giant

Post by Benz72 »

Benz72 wrote:...does anyone know of a way to erase/cover/hide/eliminate the square grid lines in the pictures?
Unfortunately it is part of the actual image (drawn in photoshop) - and while it's not totally impossible to go back and remove the 'stone slab' effect from all the tiles, it would be a rather large undertaking to redo them all at this stage.
[/quote]

OK, thanks. I planning to use it on 2 different scales and also with hex overlays, which always look odd and 'too busy' with a pre-marked map. Please don't consider my questions to be critical of your superb work. Thank you very much for doing this.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

As a side note when using the tiles to snap to grid, just resize it to Large, then back to freesize. This will center it correctly on the grid. That's only if you put it on the token layer first.

csp_kris
Kobold

Post by csp_kris »

Benz72 wrote:
Benz72 wrote:Please don't consider my questions to be critical of your superb work.
Not at all :) ...it's just that these images weren't initially intended for this use - so I'm afraid they are not very customisable.

However, if/when I'm able to do something specifically designed for VTT usage, it's comments like this that will come in really handy for maximising their usage :) ...however I have no idea if/when I'll eventually start such a project.

Also, if anyone is interested, these maps originally appeared on my blog (at a rate of one a week, every week, throughout 2011) ...which is why there are 52 maps in total (and why they are pretty basic looking). And since I mostly enjoyed the 'Map-a-Monday' project (as I called it), I'm probably going to attempt something similar throughout 2012 ....but this time with caves/caverns. So, with any luck, there should be a similar art-pack available around the same time next year to expand on this set.

Return to “Announcements”