MapTool 1.3 Development Build 1

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

dLANbandit
Dragon

Post by dLANbandit »

The new map building dialog is nice, but when I create a 2nd map it deletes the 1st one.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

dLANbandit wrote:The new map building dialog is nice, but when I create a 2nd map it deletes the 1st one.
K, thanks for the report
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Kzintzi
Giant

Post by Kzintzi »

trevor wrote:
Kzintzi wrote:I love the new map creation properties, except when I select a texture as the fog it puts what looks like a '?' in the fog region
Curious, I hadn't gotten that one before. Did you have any errors in your log ?
Here's the output - just adding a textured fog without changing the background.. Interestingly, when I did change the background to a different to the grassland one, I had the same error as dorpond (the map creation window had a '?' in it and it stopped at 0%):

TinyLaF v1.3.04
'Default.theme' not found - using YQ default theme.
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: C:\Documents and Settings\Daedalus\.maptool\
assetcache\10dec773910e14dfe9c2f0ac148516b2 is an invalid asset path
at net.rptools.maptool.transfer.AssetProducer.<init>(AssetProducer.java:
24)
at net.rptools.maptool.server.ServerMethodHandler.getAsset(ServerMethodH
andler.java:213)
at net.rptools.maptool.server.ServerMethodHandler.handleMethod(ServerMet
hodHandler.java:81)
at net.rptools.clientserver.hessian.AbstractMethodHandler.handleMessage(
AbstractMethodHandler.java:55)
at net.rptools.clientserver.simple.AbstractConnection.dispatchMessage(Ab
stractConnection.java:68)
at net.rptools.clientserver.simple.server.ServerConnection.handleMessage
(ServerConnection.java:80)
at net.rptools.clientserver.simple.AbstractConnection.dispatchMessage(Ab
stractConnection.java:68)
at net.rptools.clientserver.simple.client.ClientConnection.access$3(Clie
ntConnection.java:1)
at net.rptools.clientserver.simple.client.ClientConnection$ReceiveThread
.run(ClientConnection.java:188)

trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks Dorpond and Kzintzi, I've found and fixed the problem. It will be in 1.3b2

trevor

Post by trevor »

OK Question for you guys, do you think anyone will ever use a color for the background ? It seems kinda silly to have a Color option when there's a bunch of built in textures that rule.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

trevor wrote:OK Question for you guys, do you think anyone will ever use a color for the background ? It seems kinda silly to have a Color option when there's a bunch of built in textures that rule.
No. If I really really really needed one, two seconds in any graphics program and I could simply create hotpink.png for use as a texture... seems unnecessary to spend a lot of time on it.

Lindharin
Dragon

Post by Lindharin »

trevor wrote:OK Question for you guys, do you think anyone will ever use a color for the background ? It seems kinda silly to have a Color option when there's a bunch of built in textures that rule.
I could see having black (which I think we already have), and white (which I think we don't have).

Dracorat
Dragon

Post by Dracorat »

People could always make a 1 pixel by 1 pixel image...

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I could see using it. The textures are nice for a background but are very small and repeditive (and distractive) when zoomed out (unless we make the background textures really big).

I wouldn't get rid of that option - I will definately use it - probably more so than textures because of the repeating when zoomed out.

What would be neat though is putting a slight shadow around the map to make it look on top of the background ;)
(I love eye candy)

Plus we have to think of the new users. The new users are not going to have a lot of textures from the get-go. For them, they will be happy dropping down a blood red background and placing a map on it to show thier friends how cool Maptool is :)

wrathchild
Dragon

Post by wrathchild »

I would keep it. For the reasons already stated, and for the reason that sometimes top-down tokens actually show clearer on such a field.

Kzintzi
Giant

Post by Kzintzi »

I can see situations where being able to have a 50% grey background would be useful for dungeon building.

Also, like dorpond said, being able to put a shadow in would be cool :)

Eyecandy Rocks!!!

teban
Giant

Post by teban »

My vote would be to have a signature background unique to MT. My first suggestion would be a wood grain table with the rptools logo wood burned into it. :wink:

teban
Giant

Post by teban »

I may have read the question wrong. My idea was under the premise bounded maps only were going to be placed on a unbounded background.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

The goal is to eliminate "bounded" and "unbounded" from Maptool. Instead, we are to have a new map dialog the specifies:

1. The background
2. The Map
3. The FOW

Let us break these down:

1. The Background - If you wish to create your own map within Maptool, just pick a background image like water, rocky, grassy, etc, and build your map on top of this background. So this option is basically a "unbound" option if compared to 1.2. Keep in mind this isn't a bound image - the background just tiles your image in all directions.

2. Map - this allows us to load a map on our background. So we can get a bit creative with this option if we wish and put a cool looking background down like a floor or a tabletop and place our map on top of this image.

3. THe FOW layer is neat because we can make our FOW appear as the rock walls below it so to the player, they see the rock walls carving out of the rock as they move. You can get creative with this also.

So to answer your question Teban, we can place an "bounded" map (singular) on our background but we can also opt not to place a map and instead build directly on the background with stamps or the drawing tools.

As far as Trevors question, he wants to know if we should get rid of the color option for the background and just have an option for textures only. Ipersonally wish to keep the color option.

dLANbandit
Dragon

Post by dLANbandit »

With the background texture, I would like to have the ability, to have it not zoom with the map. That way it is more like the map is getting bigger and smaller on a static background. Thereby hopefully, making it easier to have a wood grain, look good and not tile out to much.

Return to “Announcements”