[DONE] Maintenance tonight

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

Azhrei
Site Admin

[DONE] Maintenance tonight

Post by Azhrei »

Hi everyone.

I'm going to be updating the phpBB installation (we're a couple revisions old at this point) so the forums will be offline for an hour or two starting at 11PM EDT Aug 4th (tonight) a.k.a. 03.00 GMT Aug 5th. I would like to do it later so that the west coast folks won't get hit by it, but I need to do it when I'm awake so that won't happen. ;)

I've updated the registration captcha because I was getting a lot of questions about it and people weren't able to register. That likely won't affect anyone reading this because you're all registered already...

I'm also going to look for a patch to make replies to PMs a little easier (it's a pain right now when the PM has multiple recipients).

If I have any problems I'll be using the same time frame tomorrow as an alternate.
Last edited by wolph42 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added [DONE] to the subject to indicate that its past tense

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Maintenance tonight

Post by Azhrei »

The update took a little less than an hour, but it seems to have gone well enough. If you notice anything strange, please let me know.

I did notice that we have a lot of user accounts in which a name is registered and then the forums are never visited again. Notice I didn't say, "never posted" but "never visited". I expect these are mostly spambots so I plan to do some data mining on them and then will probably delete the oldest ones. For example, if I find that 80% of them were created a year ago and the user has never visited the site again I'm likely to delete those accounts. I'll know more about where the cutoff will be after I've looked at the statistics.

Cheers!

aku
Dragon

Post by aku »

off with their heads!

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

wolph42 wrote:curious: what % is that of the total forum population?
I ran the following SQL and got 13,106 records (there are 24,409 users in the database table):

Code: Select all

select user_id, username from phpbb_users where user_posts = 0 and (user_lastvisit = 0 or user_lastvisit - user_regdate <= 30);
That statement prints one line for each record where there are no posts for the user and their last visit is either empty (zero) or within 30 days of their registration.

Someone that has registered within the last 30 days and hasn't posted yet would be in that list, so it's not entirely fair to include them in the count. I would need to limit the registration date to be more than 12 months ago and there are probably other criteria to look at as well (usernames registered but whose activation link was never clicked).

That means approximately 11,000 (possibly valid) users, but I expect the number would be a little less after applying those other criteria. The bottom of the main page says there are ~12,000 forum members, so I'm thinking it's not excluding as many as I did above, hence there must be criteria that I should be factoring in that would bring the number up slightly...

Since we're on the topic, here's the distribution of posts and the number of users with that many posts (excluding no posts at all). I created this report when we were talking about changing the names of the ranks on the forum.

Num of Posts   NumUsers
    1..   25   5416
   26..   75   381
   76..  175   180
  176..  400   96
  401.. 1000   51
 1001.. 2500   25
 2501.. 5000   5
 5001..10000   3
10001..25000   2
25001..50000   0
50001..99999   0

aku
Dragon

Post by aku »

wow, so i'm one of 51 users with with 401+ posts. interesting.

patoace
Dragon

Post by patoace »

Is there any new user functions we need to know?

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Nope, it's all bug fixes and security stuff. I'm just interested in making sure nothing broke during the upgrade. :)

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

It would be interesting to see those same numbers but only for those who have visited in the last 30 days.

Tsriel
Cave Troll

Post by Tsriel »

aku wrote:wow, so i'm one of 51 users with with 401+ posts. interesting.
Kinda makes you feel like you spend way too much time here, doesn't it? :lol:

Bone White
Great Wyrm

Post by Bone White »

Tsriel wrote:
aku wrote:wow, so i'm one of 51 users with with 401+ posts. interesting.
Kinda makes you feel like you spend way too much time here, doesn't it? :lol:
^ This.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Azhrei wrote: Since we're on the topic, here's the distribution of posts and the number of users with that many posts (excluding no posts at all). I created this report when we were talking about changing the names of the ranks on the forum.

Num of Posts   NumUsers
    1..   25   5416
   26..   75   381
   76..  175   180
  176..  400   96
  401.. 1000   51
 1001.. 2500   25
 2501.. 5000   5
 5001..10000   3
10001..25000   2
25001..50000   0
50001..99999   0
heh.. when I started reading this thread, i was just about to reply with this exact question... then I finished reading it and you preemptively ninja'ed me... So.. in essence, we have a few less than 100 "really"(counting those with <=401 posts) active users at least from a first glance at the numbers.
What I would also be interested to know is more statistical information about new people "coming up"(IF and WHEN you have the time). ie, of those with less than 1000 posts, how many:
  • visit more than once a week
  • have posted multiple times(say 5 or more) within the past month
  • any other useless drivel...
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

LeopoldVonRanke
Giant

Post by LeopoldVonRanke »

Well, i count myself as an active user even if I

a) have probably less than a 100 posts

b) check in about once a week to see where updates are heading.

I presume there are thousands who, like me, don't have too much time on their hands cause they're busy developing other stuff and can't find the time to actively help, but who are big fans.

I got to the point twice where I was about to install Eclipse to take a look at MT's source code, but work kept interfering. Oh for the 48 hour day!

Speaking of which (but not to hijack this thread): Any news on b90?

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

LeopoldVonRanke wrote:Well, i count myself as an active user even if I

a) have probably less than a 100 posts

b) check in about once a week to see where updates are heading.

I presume there are thousands who, like me, don't have too much time on their hands cause they're busy developing other stuff and can't find the time to actively help, but who are big fans.
Yea, I don't mean to offend anyone, I was more thinking about "how many people are here somewhat consistently and help other users by answering questions on a somewhat consistent basis". Of course, we would love this number to grow, but as you state, most people just play games for their hobby and can't or don't want to spend a lot of time on forum boards for this one suite of applications.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Return to “Announcements”