MapTool 1.3 Development Build 2

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

dorpond wrote: 1. When the name and GM name are in place, it doesn't leave much room on the card.
Yeah, sounds good
dorpond wrote: 2. In the Campaign (token) Properties, can we order the items on the list so that they appear in that specific order on the card?
It should work that way, they should be listed in the order listed on the page
dorpond wrote: 3. You mention nothing in the Campaign (token) Properties about the other symbol and how it works - you might want to update the text there to include it (if we keep it). But I still would rather see something more clickable and intuitive here than using symbols.
Hmmm, bummer, I had actually updated that, but apparently it didn't make it into the build.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

dLANbandit
Dragon

Post by dLANbandit »

The card looks cool but It makes me want to do all the things I do to the other mini windows in MapTools.

I want to pincushion it to the window. And then move it, then resize it. And other fun things. It also makes me want to see buttons in the Card like next to the name a "Impersonate icon button" and a "Whisper to icon button"

It also looks like a good place for Auto macro buttons. Where if I fill out STR in the sheet, then a button shows up next to str that rolls a d20. I'm sure that would need to be configurable to deal with other games.

Just throwing ideas out there.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

dLANbandit wrote:The card looks cool but It makes me want to do all the things I do to the other mini windows in MapTools.

I want to pincushion it to the window. And then move it, then resize it. And other fun things. It also makes me want to see buttons in the Card like next to the name a "Impersonate icon button" and a "Whisper to icon button"

It also looks like a good place for Auto macro buttons. Where if I fill out STR in the sheet, then a button shows up next to str that rolls a d20. I'm sure that would need to be configurable to deal with other games.

And those are very creative ideas - I like them!

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

dorpond wrote:Requests:

1. When the name and GM name are in place, it doesn't leave much room on the card. I saw there was no mention of those two fields in the Campaign (token) Properties. Can we put the names on the top of the card perhaps and specify what names are there or maybe even put the name on the top as Name (GM Name)? This owuld leave more room on the card for infomation.
I will redesign the card with a spot in the image area for a GM name and a name slot (maybe one on top, one underneath the image?)

And trevor, what about a code or something we can put in the property box to tag it to link back to another property (such as the GM name, state, etc)?
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

dorpond wrote:
dLANbandit wrote: next to the name a "Impersonate icon button" and a "Whisper to icon button"

And those are very creative ideas - I like them!
I highly third that, having macro buttons on there would make Savage Worlds really cool and easy to use.

One thing though, if we are able to do all this with this card....couldnt this easily become a character sheet? Don't take that as complaining, I am all for that, 100%, whole-heartedly for it. Just putting it out there.
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Interesting.

Perhaps I should make a poll:

1) The ccg sheet is useful

2) The ccg sheet is useful but will not longer be useful when a charsheet is available

One of my purposes for creating the ccg sheet is so that you can immediately get at information about the tokens on the playing field without having to bring up a heavy weight dialog like a charsheet or token properties dialog.

Do people think that's not very useful ?
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

dLANbandit
Dragon

Post by dLANbandit »

I think it is useful. But I still want to be able to grab it and move it about. Maybe it should just be a status thing, with no buttons.

It is just so darn pretty as it is right now. I don't want to loose it.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

It is hard to describe this new feature at the moment.

I currently (in 1.2) have no way for players to know what height they are at quickly or others around them. This pop-up would come in handy but other than that it is a lot of space for little information that is available (and useful) to me. Also, at most, we can only have 10 characters per field before text gets cut off so the information we can put there must be minimal. Long names even get cut off and there is no real room for character descriptions.

On the other hand, a character sheet would be great but that would be TOO much information for the players and over kill for things like height.

So there is a need for both I think. This is how I would define the two:

Pop-ups should show:
Visual description of the foe at hand.
A portrait.
The condition of that foe (stunned, dazed, etc)
Their location in the 3D realm.

The character sheet:
Customizable but basically everything like stats and such that we have in the current pop-up system. This is what a player will use to run a character.

So one is for current character state and one is the real deal used to run a character. Both are needed because I sure wouldn't want to see a huge character sheet to see that a character is fleeing and 70' up in the air.

Glock-9mm
Giant

Post by Glock-9mm »

The character sheet:
Customizable but basically everything like stats and such that we have in the current pop-up system. This is what a player will use to run a character.
An import from Statblock function would be a god end as well. (This comes from a DMGenie user).

Glock
---
Glock-9mm (Wgtn, NZ)
Shooting from the hip... Never the lip!

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

I like where dorpond is going with this. I think we all got a little excitted when we saw something that looked allot like a character sheet. But I like his thinking on this, we should have a pop-up that shows a few core important facts that are determinable (that a word??) by the GM, say Health, AC, attack value, defend value, etc.

Then have a seperate thing that would be a larger, more detailed character sheet...but then I have been hitting up trevor for character sheets for about 11 months now I think. I almost had him today, almost....
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

mikey
Giant

re

Post by mikey »

DM VIEW

AC MOVE
HP HEIGHT
WILL
REF
FORT
ATTACK/DAM

NOTES OR HTML LINK

OR WHATEVER SYSTEM YOU USE BUT YOU GET THE IDEA

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

I love the fact that it's all the basic information you want quickly and only the GM information if needed. Would've been very cool this last game I played!
trevor wrote:1) The ccg sheet is useful
And will continue to be even with full character sheet functions. In all reality managing your own character might be useful from a sheet, but any monsters you'll only want some basic information. I don't play with elevation in my game (so far) but this seems a good way to handle things like that. In addition, miniature gaming usually have units with a few properties and this will always be useful. A whole "character sheet" seems much less worthwhile in miniature war gaming.

I like the tweak with the name at the top of the "card" to free up more space for properties.

I also would prefer a way to include some text/description in this method as most monsters will use some description and then maybe 1 stat if possible. Not sure how/where this should be.

I think a setting "Show CCG Cards" in the menus near show grid/token names/etc would be useful for players that didn't like/use this feature and would like to turn off the mouseover. With a feature like this, I think mouseover could still be used. (I also vote for a "Show last paths" to show last movements... but that's another post!)

I think the ability to show status would also be useful. While the icons can be helpful a name can be more useful in the CCG version for those that may not recognize what Grey Circle or Blue X means.

Overall, I really love it. Even as it is I'd use it and expect to continue using this feature!

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

The ccg sheet is useful and very purdy, Snikle... ;)
Game On!

StitchesNM
Cave Troll

Card Is Usefull

Post by StitchesNM »

I love the card for quick information, and having needed stats readily available. Only issue I had with it is that if you do want to show more than 3 stats you can't. You get three clear cut stats and a mess of garble at the bottom of the cool looking card. Possible dynamic resize of the card would be nice, making it automatically become taller to display more stats if you do wish to have a good number of things actively shown.

I think it will still have it's place once the map tool has CSheet capability. It will alow players to have sort of a "quick info" tab so they don't have to referance back to the character sheet all the time. Great for Saves, AC, Attacks with spacific weapons, or even spell DC. I have played around with adding those as visable options on the properties card and it is very nice. One draw back I did find is if you make a Property name too long and then fill in the stat info the number for the stat shows up over top of the property title.

Another thing that would be nice for GM functionality would be the ability to adjust properties on a token before adding it to the map. That way the stats would be saved to the token for future use down the road. Rather than having to drag the token to the map open the properties, edit all the info, then move on. If you wish to use that token in the future on a completely different map you have to repeat the fill in process all over. It would be nice to have some sort of toolbox the GM could load tokens into adjust the properties on, and pull tokens out of that box onto any map with the properties already filled in and ready to go. Just a thought. Over all I love the way the map tool is headed.

On an off subject I do have one minor complaint about the change in the roll system in Ver1.3. In 1.2 if i typed the command /roll 5d6 the chat output all the individual numbers and the total. In 1.3 all i get is a total. I personally enjoy the individual roll display. Possibly have an option to toggle that on/off. It's something I would like to see brought back.

teban
Giant

Re: MapTool 1.3 Development Build 2

Post by teban »

TREVOR WROTE
NOTES:
- I'm still not convinced about the mouse-over ccg style. I don't think select is necessarily the right answer either. Please play with it, get a feel for it, and post back your thoughts on how to improve it

How about having a simple hot key option lets say when "feces I" for info is held down and the mouse is over a tokken then the ccg pops up.[/quote]

Return to “Announcements”