MapTool 1.3 Final, patch06 (build 89)

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

notbono
Cave Troll

Re: MapTool 1.3 Final, patch05 (build 89)

Post by notbono »

Huge thanks to Azhrei and other contributors!

meshon
Cave Troll

Post by meshon »

Az, this is fantastic! I'm really so happy that you've done this, and thanks to all the coders who had input (I don't exactly know who you are, but you do, so thank you).

So excited. It just snowed here. Christmas!

cheers,
Meshon

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Heh, glad you're all happy. :)

Re: UPNP. My router has been re flashed with OpenWRT so it's not running stock firmware. Usually the stock stuff the vendor provides is pretty out of date. That could be an issue.

Also, I'll go back and add some logging support to both MT and the sbbi library. The when it fails, people can turn on that logging and send us the results. That would help immensely!

A google search now shows more UPNP implementations so maybe I'll take a look around. Bt if my XML namespace patches to the sbbi library work there's no need to swap it out (and it's a relatively small JAR at less than 300k).

Re: the missing token patch. I'm not even sure what you're referring to. I thought I went through all of the patches in the Testers forum but maybe I missed one. I'd been collecting patch files in my TODO folder for a long time and after applying all of those (or most of them, rather) I went back through the Testers forum to see if I missed anything.

In other news, I don't see the problem with the autosave. I'm adding some logging code and a new "logging.xml". And I'll look into a timer or something that will reset the "autosave is currently happening" flag by just forcing it. Not ideal, but it would be a workaround for folks who get struck by this bug.

I added the information for translators but haven't done the ChangeLog. I'll get to it tonight or tomorrow and I'll both update the OP and add another post here to announce the update.

notbono
Cave Troll

Post by notbono »

I've seen the 'missing' tokens bug. Just when you open a campaign file, the tokens are invisible until you move around the map a bit. Not a huge issue for me.

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

@Azhrei It's likely a failure on my part. As you said, it's simple enough that I don't need to upload mine.

@Jamz, wolph Hmm. If that is so (j7u17 for Jamz and j6u38 for wolph), I fear that there will be routers which are out of scope. But that's a reality all dependents of UPnP implementations face. Try 6u43 wolph, it might work (fingers crossed)

Edit:
Just a quick update, I downloaded the file off RPTools.net and UPnP works under J7u17. Perhaps people who want to do so should try simplifying down to only one JRE (uninstalling everything and installing the latest)?

kenjura
Kobold

Post by kenjura »

Don't mean to sound ungrateful for all the hard work, but I can't get this to run on the Mac at all.

Simply running the application causes the following error message: "MapTool-1.3b89 is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the Trash."

This happens whether I'm running it right from the DMG or after copying it to Applications.

I'm using OS 10.8.3 on a retina MBP. Had no trouble running b87, Java is all set.

kenjura
Kobold

Post by kenjura »

(Response to previous post that I cannot seem to find...)

Mac users: if you get the message "this image is damaged" when trying to run the app, ensure that your security settings allow apps from non-App-Store sources.

1- Open System Preferences
2- Open Security&Privacy
3- Unlock
4- Check "allow applications downloaded from anywhere"

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Lee wrote:@Azhrei It's likely a failure on my part. As you said, it's simple enough that I don't need to upload mine.

@Jamz, wolph Hmm. If that is so (j7u17 for Jamz and j6u38 for wolph), I fear that there will be routers which are out of scope. But that's a reality all dependents of UPnP implementations face. Try 6u43 wolph, it might work (fingers crossed)

Edit:
Just a quick update, I downloaded the file off RPTools.net and UPnP works under J7u17. Perhaps people who want to do so should try simplifying down to only one JRE (uninstalling everything and installing the latest)?
Hmm, But Wolf's router DID (or rather does) work with the code that is in your Dev build so it should work here? Maybe it is the sbbi-upnplib-1.0.5* jars? Could try and swap them and see what happens. Not sure how much was changed and if it'll even work but easy enough test...
-Jamz

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Hmm, But Wolf's router DID (or rather does) work with the code that is in your Dev build so it should work here? Maybe it is the sbbi-upnplib-1.0.5* jars? Could try and swap them and see what happens. Not sure how much was changed and if it'll even work but easy enough test...
How do I do that ?

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

Great work - it's nice to see MT still moving on-wards and upwards (which is more than can be said for the WOTC VTT)

Thank you all
Cweord

This message has been spell checked by Freudcheck - any mistakes are purley a figment of your imagination.
-------
My Tokens Directory
http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/Cw ... er_Tokens/

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

yorick wrote: MaptoolLauncher.exe does not function with Java 7, showing an error about maptool-*.jar. I understand this is a bug in Java 7. A workaround could be to have the launcher do the globbing and hand a full file name to Java.
Strange. I've downloaded b89 just now, and used the MapToolLauncher.exe without problem.
Java : 1.7.0_05 (64 bits)
(no other versions of the JRE installed on this computer).

Unless the b89 zip/maptoollauncher.exe have been modified between your DL and mine ?
ImageImageImageImage

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Lee wrote:@Azhrei It's likely a failure on my part. As you said, it's simple enough that I don't need to upload mine.

Edit:
ok I tried both j6.41 and j7.17 and both failed. "Upnp error no internet gateway device found"

I also gave the sbbi libs a shot:
The DEV version contained: sbbi-upnplib-1.0.4
The b89 version contained: sbbi-upnplib-1.0.5-debug and sbbi-upnplib-1.0.5-nodebug
first I copied 1.0.4 straight into b89: fail (same error)
then I deleted both the 1.0.5 files: this resulted in the server not starting at all. So no fail but also no start (and on exit MT a noclass defined error so i couln't exit mt anymore)
then i renamed 1.0.4 into 1.0.5: fail (upnp error again)

finally I tried running the DEV version again (as I've updated all the java versions in the mean time) in j7.17: works!

yorick
Cave Troll

Post by yorick »

Natha wrote:
yorick wrote: MaptoolLauncher.exe does not function with Java 7, showing an error about maptool-*.jar. I understand this is a bug in Java 7. A workaround could be to have the launcher do the globbing and hand a full file name to Java.
Java : 1.7.0_05 (64 bits)
(no other versions of the JRE installed on this computer).
The bug was introduced with Java 7 Update 10. Update 10 as well as Update 05 have lots of fun security holes that allow compromise of a PC without user interaction (usually through a web page). That's how Apple and other companies were breached, through Java. For that reason, I am really keen on keeping my Java up-to-date (along with Reader and Flash, the other two prime vectors). Current version is 7u17. The next security update is scheduled for Apr 16th, in 10 days. There will be no more Java 6 updates. Depending on the severity of issues fixed in Java 7 on the 16th and whether they can be reproduced on Java 6, that day may well be the end of useful life for Java 6.

I'd rather need to use a .bat to launch maptool than run an outdated version of Java.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

So... how exactly are we supposed to be launching 1.3b89 on a PC (Win7/8)? Seems like I'm seeing conflicting information about what works and what doesn't.

Does the "MapToolLauncher.exe" work? If not, why is it still there?

Are we supposed to be using the .bat files instead?

If so, can someone provide some information on how to set some things like Stacksize and an alternative Data Directory Path using it?

I've been using a non-standard data directory flag in my .cfg file for awhile now and would like to continue to do so.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “Announcements”