MapTool 1.3 Final, patch06 (build 89)

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: MapTool 1.3 Final, patch05 (build 89)

Post by Full Bleed »

Omethiklan wrote:I mean that is a minor inconvenience all in all, but an inconvenience nonetheless as one was accustomed to not have this issue...
Actually, that sounds like a pretty major change in functionality. A check should be able to be put in to detect the OS if the centering is only needed for Macs.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Full Bleed wrote:Actually, that sounds like a pretty major change in functionality. A check should be able to be put in to detect the OS if the centering is only needed for Macs.
+1
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

aliasmask wrote:It was a problem for Mac users that frames showed up in upper left corner where the border was outside of where it could be grabbed and moved. I think the fix was to simple rest frames and center (although, I'm not a fan of the frame reset once defined). I did find a work around to the Mac issue by using Wiki: resetFrame() which I think is how the fix was applied, but I don't know for sure.
Yeah, it sounds like the fix was added to the wrong place. It should only apply to the first opening of a frame. There's a hash table that keeps track of which frames already exist so this patch was probably put above that check instead of below it. Oops. :(

I'll take a look at that patch and see about moving it.

Thanks for finding it!

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

We've said lots of thanks to the folks bending code - and that is very much deserved.

I'd like to take a second and thank all the folks downloading and testing the new build. Your efforts make our (meaning the community our) product better for everyone else. You guys rock.

Thanks!
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

So, does the latest download include the ability to use the MapToolLauncher.exe with the latest version of java 7? Or is the wildcard problem still an issue?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

aliasmask wrote:So, does the latest download include the ability to use the MapToolLauncher.exe with the latest version of java 7? Or is the wildcard problem still an issue?
Still an issue. Get lee's launcher or use the .bat.

jwdavidson
Kobold

Post by jwdavidson »

There seems to be an issue with multiple dice rolls surrounded by whitespace in the same evaluated string. I've managed to reduce it to these test strings:

a [1] b [1] produces a 1 bb 1
more test cases
a [1]<br>b [1] produces
a 1
bb 1

a [1]b [1] produces the expected a 1b 1
a[1] b [1] produces the expected a1 b 1
a [1] b[1] produces the expected a 1 b1
[1] a [1] produces the expected 1 a 1
a [1] [1] produces the expected a 1 1
this compounds as you add more rolls:
a [1] b [1] c [1] produces a 1 b 1 cb 1 cc 1

but there must be at least two rolls with whitespace on both sides to trigger it:
a[1] b [1] c[1] produces the expected a1 b 1 c1

using [r:1] eliminates the issue:
a [r:1] b [r:1] c [r:1] produces the expected a 1 b 1 c 1

Tested with Java 6_43 and 7_17, on Mac OS 10.6 and 10.8 and Windows XP SP3 in a new blank campaign file just after launch. Expanded rolls exhibit the same behavior. I don't see this in b87 for any Java or OS version I have to hand. (edit: I also don't see this in b88)

Happy to test in Linux and Win 7 if that would help, I'll just need to set up VMs.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

That's strange. I remember this being mentioned in another thread a few weeks ago. If it was in Lee's test build, maybe the problem is the patch that tries to be more intelligent about replacing smileys by only running a regex against the text produced in chat and nothing else. I'll check that patch and see if it could be having an effect here. If it was in the mainline b87 then it couldn't be that patch.

Has anyone seen this behavior in the stock b87 (or b88 for that matter)?

jwdavidson
Kobold

Post by jwdavidson »

Just tested, and this issue also appears in Lee's dev build. Same test cases, same results for me, at least for Mac 10.8/Java 6_43

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

@wolph Sorry about that. There may be underlying references that a simple library swap can't overcome.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

I added a new thread in the Testers forum for folks who want to help with the UPNP router issue.
Azhrei wrote:
aliasmask wrote:It was a problem for Mac users that frames showed up in upper left corner where the border was outside of where it could be grabbed and moved. I think the fix was to simple rest frames and center (although, I'm not a fan of the frame reset once defined). I did find a work around to the Mac issue by using Wiki: resetFrame() which I think is how the fix was applied, but I don't know for sure.
Yeah, it sounds like the fix was added to the wrong place. It should only apply to the first opening of a frame. There's a hash table that keeps track of which frames already exist so this patch was probably put above that check instead of below it. Oops. :(

I'll take a look at that patch and see about moving it.
I'm looking at the code (for those with source code, it's HTMLFrame.showFrame()) and the first thing it does is check to see if the frame already exists and if so, it doesn't call center() to reposition it. :?

What is the most stripped down version of code that will reproduce the problem? I'll set a breakpoint in that routine and see what's going on.

Edit: Ah, nevermind. I just read back through the thread and found this:
Frames always re-open on the middle of the screen, undocked after restarting MT and reopening the FW.
Which means it's more likely related to the saving/loading of the docked panels and not the normal operation of the frames. It's probably because the structure which keeps track of which frames are open will start out empty and thus the frame is considered "new" and is centered. I'll dig a little deeper.

Highmeh
Kobold

Post by Highmeh »

Azhrei wrote:I also spent some time documenting what my build process is in regards to the OS X disk image. I'm using some scripts that probably only work for me :? but I'll be moving them into the SVN tree somewhere so others will be able to access them. I'd like to move them all the way to the ANT build.xml file, but that likely won't happen...
Build 89 still does not properly support Java 7 on OS X 10.7+. While it may run on Java 7, I believe it is not bundled properly to use Oracle's version of Java. Here is a post regarding how to do this. I discovered this by trying to run 89 on Mountain Lion (fully patched, Gatekeeper off) with only Java 7 installed; it will prompt you to install Apple's Java 6 JRE.

Now to re-bundle my Java apps at home to use Oracle's version of Java... :roll: :)

Dracones
Cave Troll

Post by Dracones »

wolph42 wrote:Try [r,e:
Nope. I still get a double row even with [r,e:

DJuego
Cave Troll

Post by DJuego »

Maptool keep on!

My humble congratulations to the whole Maptool community (developers, testers, documentation supporters, GMs, players, users, trolls... ).
I feel very happy. I have to recognize that I am worried about the future (1.4 or so)... But now it is a moment of joy... :mrgreen:

DJuego

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Highmeh wrote:Build 89 still does not properly support Java 7 on OS X 10.7+. While it may run on Java 7, I believe it is not bundled properly to use Oracle's version of Java. Here is a post regarding how to do this. I discovered this by trying to run 89 on Mountain Lion (fully patched, Gatekeeper off) with only Java 7 installed; it will prompt you to install Apple's Java 6 JRE.
Wow, excellent information! Thank you!

That page has some good information, including how to bundle the JRE with MapTool as part of the .app. It claims that this is necessary if you want to distribute the application via the Mac App Store. And that would be very cool if MapTool qualified for it. (I guess I'd have to buy the developer license for it though. Oh well, it's a business expense. ;))

One thing I found interesting about this... Perhaps OSX applications could then be built on non-OSX systems. That would make the build process much more portable. It still doesn't help with the .dmg files, but I think someone else has posted that there's a Linux tool for creating those. I'll get to the point of integrating those at some point. Maybe. We plan to switch to Maven for 1.4/2.0.

Return to “Announcements”