MapTool 1.3 Final, patch06 (build 89)

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

cydthemagi
Kobold

Re: MapTool 1.3 Final, patch06 (build 89)

Post by cydthemagi »

so how is build 90 coming along?

Mrugnak
Dragon

Post by Mrugnak »

My GM is wondering too.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Sorry guys and gals. I got swamped with some work for a couple weeks.

Things have eased up so there will be a build this weekend. I was waiting to hear from translators and others, but I'm not going to wait any more.

If Lee gets the source code for his launcher posted (or emails it to me) I'll include that in the distribution as well.

I will get to the ChangeLog tomorrow so people can see if their patches will make it in, then I'll plan on the build for some time this weekend, likely late Sunday.

badsequel
Giant

Post by badsequel »

Wohoo! :D
My shared rpg stuff:
(exe)TokenNameChanger3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cqsof54v3dl2k ... 3.zip?dl=0
Tiddly Spell Wiki: https://www.dropbox.com/s/53pya4k68mnvc ... ddly01.htm

Stuff to check out:
Mote Kickstarter(back it): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/74 ... abletop-ev

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

Thanks Az
Cweord

This message has been spell checked by Freudcheck - any mistakes are purley a figment of your imagination.
-------
My Tokens Directory
http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/Cw ... er_Tokens/

cydthemagi
Kobold

Post by cydthemagi »

So what is the Progress looking like?

yorick
Cave Troll

Post by yorick »

Is this relevant to Maptool? If so, might want to take it into account for b90. From 7u25 release notes:

New JAR Manifest File Attributes

JDK 7u25 release introduces the permissions and codebase attributes in the JAR Manifest File. These attributes are used to verify that the application is requesting the correct permissions level and is accessed from the correct location. See Preventing the Repurposing of an Application document.

Developers are advised to utilize at least the new permissions attribute, and if possible the codebase attribute as well. In future releases, applications that do not include these protections may be blocked or subjected to additional warning dialogs. (>emphasis mine<)

Best Practices for Applet & Web Start Deployment

As a result of various security changes and improvements, the following best practices are recommended for Applet and Web Start deployment:

Sign all JAR files using a Public Key Code Signing Certificate.
In the application jar manifest file include the permissions keyword with the desired permissions level, and if possible the codebase attribute as well.

For more information see Deployment Best Practices.

yorick
Cave Troll

Post by yorick »

I found Sun's documentation on the wildcard bug, btw. This was introduced when they switched to VS2005. Sun/Oracle consider the bug fixed: They support wildcard expansion only for -classpath and -cp options as well as application arguments.

See http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bu ... id=8013821

So "java *.jar" is supported (tries to load classes in those jars), but "java -jar *.jar" is not supported. Since Windows doesn't glob by itself, that means MaptoolLauncher.exe will remain broken for all intents and purposes. We can't expect Java 7 or Java 8 to start handling * the way Java 6 did.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Thanks, yorick. Good stuff. :)

The first one might affect MT when executed as a Web Start application. I know some people use that (and I used to recommend it!*) so we'll need to look into that at some point. It probably won't be right away though since we may end up with a completely new distribution model for 2.0.

(*I won't be recommending it as much in the future because the new Java-based launcher is pretty slick! The Web Start was good because it let the user easily set memory sizes and then generate a JNLP file that could be sent to other users -- instant compatibility for everyone. But the launcher's mt.cfg will be pretty close. It won't allow a Windows user to send the config file to a Linux or OSX user and have it work, but only the MAPTOOL_DIRECTORY field would need to be changed. And the GUI makes it pretty painless.)

The second one, the wildcard expansion thing, is good to know but as you point out, doesn't help MT at all. :| I suppose the thing to do is to use PowerShell to execute applications and not CMD. IIRC, PS does wildcards itself whereas COMMAND and CMD do not.

(I always have to smirk at the name "PowerShell" -- what they've done is written a CLI that almost catches up with what Unix had back in the late 80's to early 90's. I love it!)

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

cydthemagi wrote:So what is the Progress looking like?
Whoops, missed your post. Almost.

I'm waiting to get some last testing done on the new Java-based launcher, then it'll be wrapped up inside the MT download and we're ready to go. I'll be moving the BAT files and Un*x scripts into a subdirectory and cleaning things up a bit as well; I probably need to generate new XML logging files since I think new ones have been added.

When the testing is done, I'll do the build. Maybe a day or two? I don't think I'm waiting on anything else at this point, although I know Jamz and wolph would like to get some macro functions fixed (getVBL() and a few others).

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Save the string issue in getVBL (which I don't really mind at this point) the only things left are the numerous bugs I all x,y related functions. They all make use of the footprint of the token while they should use the boundary. This has for example the effect of 'dancing doors' in the BoT, which makes use of moveToken icw getTokenX/Y. We've considered setting gettokenxy back to footprint and adding an option to return boundary as well, but as joe pointed out: there is never a situation when you want that, thus it returns an unwanted result and hence it's a bug. Which accounts for the other functions as well. Currently it's only moveToken, but I expect further down the line that the others will become issues as well so it's better to fix them.

I've created a test campaign file (which confirms that all those functions do not work correctly AND it turns out that two ontokenmove functions are bugged as well), Jamz mentioned to have little time atm, but he'll start on it asap.

edit: (hopefully Jamz reads this as well) my preference would be if you could hold off b90 until moveToken() is fixed as that's currently a bug that hampers the BoT. The other functions are not an immediate issue which AFAI'mC can be done in a later build as well...

Dervish
Giant

Post by Dervish »

Question my group has been has been asking me if b89 is stable they want to stop fighting off the java updater and just update to 7
i am just curious if there have been any real issues other than the launcher thing

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Dervish wrote:Question my group has been has been asking me if b89 is stable they want to stop fighting off the java updater and just update to 7
i am just curious if there have been any real issues other than the launcher thing

just the smiley bug, which can be omitted by turning off the smileys in the settings. note that it does not happen to everyone, so you only need to do that if you get strange output.

beyond that, its stable and worth the update.

booga
Dragon

Post by booga »

Isn't there also:
  • An issue where Maptool is unable to remember the position of frames that are opened via a Framework when you close and reopen Maptool ? If you play often and rely on a lot of those frames, this can be a bear. Unless there's a workaround for that issue as well, although I haven't seen one so far.
  • If you use a framework using HTML code with <table> inside, there could be a graphical "glitch" unless you add cellspacing='0' to the top level table. If you use CSS styles for this HTML code, you can instead add this to your CSS macro:

Code: Select all

table {border-spacing: 0px;}

cubeblue
Cave Troll

Post by cubeblue »

Any updates?
& So Forth a blog about dungeons & dragons & so forth. With a particular eye for virtual table-top play, 5e, and OSR themes.

Return to “Announcements”