InitTool 1.1 Development Release Build 0

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Very cool Jay! Thanks for the quick work! Can't wait to play with this more. I might even use it for game next week.

I would really like to start adding monsters into InitTool (from different sources). The best way I can figure is for a stat block importer of some sort. We can't do that currently, correct? What is the fastest way to go about this currently, Jay? Manual entry? Is that how you did it?

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

dorpond wrote:I would really like to start adding monsters into InitTool (from different sources). The best way I can figure is for a stat block importer of some sort. We can't do that currently, correct? What is the fastest way to go about this currently, Jay? Manual entry? Is that how you did it?
You have to edit the file manually for now. There isn't any sort of stat-block parser yet. I use XSL to convert an XML file with all of the SRD monsters in it. I wrote a converter for e-tools files as well, but you still have to manually add the converted XML to the combatant lookup file.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Hey Jay,
I was going to use InitTool for game tomorrow night but I am finding some issues that might be preventing this from happening.

1. I installed and did a reset of InitTool so that I was starting from the ground up.
2. For giggles, I tried to load a previously saved group file but the Java Console went into a continuous error frenzy that didn't seem to stop. (no backwards compatibility?)
3. I restarted InitTool and figured I would create a new group for the party. When I did, I went to save the group. I cannot - it comes up with an error and this is what I get at the java side:

at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceMarshaller.convert(AbstractReferenceMarshaller.java:45)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeMarshaller.convertAnother(TreeMarshaller.java:50)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.annotations.AnnotationReflectionConverter.marshallField(AnnotationReflectionConverter.java:40)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter$2.writeField(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:108)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter$2.visit(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:84)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.PureJavaReflectionProvider.visitSerializableFields(PureJavaReflectionProvider.java:109)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.doMarshal(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:69)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.marshal(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:42)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceMarshaller.convert(AbstractReferenceMarshaller.java:55)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeMarshaller.convertAnother(TreeMarshaller.java:50)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.AbstractCollectionConverter.writeItem(AbstractCollectionConverter.java:52)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.MapConverter.marshal(MapConverter.java:45)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceMarshaller.convert(AbstractReferenceMarshaller.java:55)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.annotations.AnnotationReflectionConverter.marshallField(AnnotationReflectionConverter.java:40)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter$2.writeField(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:108)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter$2.visit(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:84)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.PureJavaReflectionProvider.visitSerializableFields(PureJavaReflectionProvider.java:109)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.doMarshal(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:69)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.marshal(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:42)
at net.rptools.chartool.model.xml.ConverterSupport.writeNode(ConverterSupport.java:116)
at net.rptools.inittool.model.Creature$CreatureConverter.marshal(Creature.java:341)
at net.rptools.chartool.model.xml.ConverterSupport.writeNode(ConverterSupport.java:116)
at net.rptools.inittool.model.Group$GroupConverter.marshal(Group.java:169)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.AbstractCollectionConverter.writeItem(AbstractCollectionConverter.java:52)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.CollectionConverter.marshal(CollectionConverter.java:44)
at net.rptools.inittool.model.Groups$GroupsConverter.marshal(Groups.java:223)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeMarshaller.start(TreeMarshaller.java:73)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.ReferenceByXPathMarshallingStrategy.marshal(ReferenceByXPathMarshallingStrategy.java:34)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.marshal(XStream.java:751)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.marshal(XStream.java:740)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.toXML(XStream.java:721)
at net.rptools.inittool.ui.PersistenceSupport.saveGroups(PersistenceSupport.java:273)
at net.rptools.inittool.ui.group.GroupToolActions$7.actionPerformed(GroupToolActions.java:216)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(Unknown Source)
at de.muntjak.tinylookandfeel.TinyMenuItemUI.doClick(TinyMenuItemUI.java:569)
at de.muntjak.tinylookandfeel.TinyMenuItemUI$MouseInputHandler.mouseReleased(TinyMenuItemUI.java:421)
at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I just went into the game settings and took a look around. I went to open other games because I think I recall you had a D&D one in there. When I browsed to InittoolDbg/game/DND folder and tried loading up the DefaultDND game file but I got a 'game settings file is invalid' error.

So I guess the only file that currently works with InitTool 1.1 currently is the default one at installation, correct?

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Ugh,
I did another InitTool reset to make sure I got the game settings back to default but now when I do the reset it claims:

The game settings file c:\<userprofile>\....\d20fantasy\d20.rpgame is invalid. The default settings will be empty.

So now I am uncertain what is going on, if it will work correctly or not, and think it is probably a good idea to go back to 1.0 release for game tomorrow night.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

dorpond wrote:2. For giggles, I tried to load a previously saved group file but the Java Console went into a continuous error frenzy that didn't seem to stop. (no backwards compatibility?)
Not yet. I plan to add that when things are a bit more stable.
dorpond wrote:3. I restarted InitTool and figured I would create a new group for the party. When I did, I went to save the group. I cannot - it comes up with an error and this is what I get at the java side:
This is a bug.

Thanks for the testing, dorpond. It is greatly appreciated.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

dorpond wrote:I just went into the game settings and took a look around. I went to open other games because I think I recall you had a D&D one in there. When I browsed to InittoolDbg/game/DND folder and tried loading up the DefaultDND game file but I got a 'game settings file is invalid' error.

So I guess the only file that currently works with InitTool 1.1 currently is the default one at installation, correct?
I thought they were all working, but I keep adding new stuff to the main one then forget to add it to the old ones. I'll take a look.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

dorpond wrote:Ugh,
I did another InitTool reset to make sure I got the game settings back to default but now when I do the reset it claims:

The game settings file c:\<userprofile>\....\d20fantasy\d20.rpgame is invalid. The default settings will be empty.

So now I am uncertain what is going on, if it will work correctly or not, and think it is probably a good idea to go back to 1.0 release for game tomorrow night.
I'm not sure what is going on here. That is the game file that I use to test. Maybe the reset is broke? I'll look into it some more.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

dorpond wrote:3. I restarted InitTool and figured I would create a new group for the party. When I did, I went to save the group. I cannot - it comes up with an error and this is what I get at the java side:
This will be fixed in the next release.
dorpond wrote:I did another InitTool reset to make sure I got the game settings back to default but now when I do the reset it claims:

Actually this was a bug in the code that was converting your group file from one set of custom properties to the next. I've fixed this problem for the next build, but I need to change the way things happen when you switch from one game settings file to the next. I'll probably just attempt to save the existing group and encounter if needed and clear them.
dorpond wrote:I just went into the game settings and took a look around. I went to open other games because I think I recall you had a D&D one in there. When I browsed to InittoolDbg/game/DND folder and tried loading up the DefaultDND game file but I got a 'game settings file is invalid' error.
I see this error in the code that was downloaded but I must have already corrected the problem because I can't get it to fail in my latest code. This bug will be fixed in the next version

Return to “Announcements”