MapTool 1.3 Development Build 12

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

I really like the idea of building images into the campaign to be called like this, that would be very cool indeed, and illustrated notes would be great. For example, a small note on a table, the players click on it and get a hand drawn map in the notes section. Very cool.

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

I would rather be able to link an image to a token(stamp), and have it pop up like the character sheet does now. This would allow players to zoom in and out as needed, move it around, and close it whenever they want (though I think there should be the option for the GM to force closure...how many times you tell players they only had a second to look at something before you yanked it from their slimey paws?).
If it was locked into the notes panel, size could be an issue and then players could not zoom if they wanted, sometimes you just want to zoom to see the details.
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Ok, I'm stupid. Haven't used MT for a while and suddenly went to 1.3b12. Now I can't figure out how to get player vision to reveal FOW or visible areas.

I setup the LBL for a simple map, and setup and turned on a vision for the player token. But the player can see the whole map, the lbl isn't blocking anything. If I turn on FOW I have to show visible area every time the token is moved. I thought it was automatic.

Also, would be nice if Light could be done the same way as vision, meaning tied to facing.
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

snikle wrote: I get the following, looks like some sort of java "you are stupid" icon:
How are you getting this display? I don't see any options for such. Nor the little flyout info panel on some other screenshots...
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Steel Rat wrote:Ok, I'm stupid. Haven't used MT for a while and suddenly went to 1.3b12. Now I can't figure out how to get player vision to reveal FOW or visible areas.

I setup the LBL for a simple map, and setup and turned on a vision for the player token. But the player can see the whole map, the lbl isn't blocking anything. If I turn on FOW I have to show visible area every time the token is moved. I thought it was automatic.

Also, would be nice if Light could be done the same way as vision, meaning tied to facing.
I think you have to enable fog of war under Map->Enable FoW
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

I did that, mentioned above ;).

I had done it before in a previous version without FOW, something to do with having LBL in place and enabling a player vision was supposed to make all areas blocked not visible. It's not doing that now.
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

Steel Rat wrote:How are you getting this display? I don't see any options for such. Nor the little flyout info panel on some other screenshots...
I used tokens and dropped them onto the object layer (use stamp tool), then your pointer will change to a finger (no, not the middle one) and it is a clickable button. I hide them form players until I want them to see them, and allow them to click them as needed.
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

snikle wrote:I used tokens and dropped them onto the object layer (use stamp tool), then your pointer will change to a finger (no, not the middle one) and it is a clickable button. I hide them form players until I want them to see them, and allow them to click them as needed.
Sorry, I'm still not following. When you click the button you place that graphic will show up in MT and will contain the Notes field? Does it only work on stamps and not on player tokens?
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Cool, found it Snikle. So it only works with Stamps. Good to know. Lol, obviously I haven't been following the developments.

Also found the little flyout. You have to have values in the Properties section of the token for it to work. Cool.

Still don't know how to get the Vision to work properly though.
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Steel Rat wrote:I setup the LBL for a simple map, and setup and turned on a vision for the player token. But the player can see the whole map, the lbl isn't blocking anything. If I turn on FOW I have to show visible area every time the token is moved. I thought it was automatic.
I think you are remembering a feature that isn't there yet. :)

Unless FoW is on the players can see the whole map. The LBL well only hide NPC tokens from them. This would be used in a situation where the players know the terrain or layout but don't know where the bad guys might be.

To hide the map you use FoW. And as far as I know you still have to remove it for each move of a PC with one of the three removal methods.

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Phergus wrote:I think you are remembering a feature that isn't there yet. :)

Unless FoW is on the players can see the whole map. The LBL well only hide NPC tokens from them. This would be used in a situation where the players know the terrain or layout but don't know where the bad guys might be.

To hide the map you use FoW. And as far as I know you still have to remove it for each move of a PC with one of the three removal methods.
Maybe so. The last time I used it was for an outdoor terrain setting, so yeah they could see the terrain but not the bugs (Starship Troopers game).

Thanks for straightening me out! ;)
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

torstan wrote:Of course :) I keep forgetting that we can use html tags in them.
snikle wrote:Question, maybe my html is jacked...

Uh, oh.

We need a WYSIWYG editor for notes. ;)

Is there a free java editor out there that can be hacked into position?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

trevor wrote: I highly discourage using it like this though, it breaks the self-contained nature of your campaign. Creating external depenencies is just asking for breakage.
I don't know. I find being able to call up images from external sources to be a potential blessing. It would help keep the campaign file smaller and probably speed up transfer time significantly.

Couldn't we embed sounds this way too? It seems like players could click on links to sounds that would launch their default players to play something. It would be completely optional (which isn't quite as cool as being able to force some sounds on them) but still would be a nice option for sound now.

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

We need a WYSIWYG editor for notes. Wink

Is there a free java editor out there that can be hacked into position?
Not sure, but there are some which use javascript and HTML...
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Full Bleed wrote:Is there a free java editor out there that can be hacked into position?
Actually I believe there is one. I'm not sure if it is AJAX or Java, but we have one on the HeroCentral.net boards for posting.
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

Return to “Announcements”