New DEV/Testing Builds!

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Re: New DEV/Testing Builds!

Post by JamzTheMan »

Lets start with a few questions. You downloaded 1.4.1.3, installed and it stopped working so you installed 1.4.1.4 and same result, correct?

When you download, you get a MapTool-windows64-offline.exe which you run and get the little window with the MT and Launcher icons. Do you still click this .exe to run MT after installation?

As an FYI, the exe with the RPTools icon is just the installer. It then creates separate MT & Launcher Icons in the start menu under a MapTool folder. If you use these icons, do you get the same issue?

Can you zip up the logs directory and email them to me? my gmail is JamzTheMan and MT is installed @ C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\JWrapper-MapTool

Lastly, you can try and uninstall MapTool (there is an uninstall icon in your start menu), reboot, then install MT again. Usually, this fixes any issues. I've seen the installer not respond because a previous java process is hung and rebooting kills any hanging java processes (unless you are comfortable doing it manually yourself).
-Jamz

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

JamzTheMan wrote:Lets start with a few questions. You downloaded 1.4.1.3, installed and it stopped working so you installed 1.4.1.4 and same result, correct?
Close. 1.4.1.3 worked the last time I tried it before downloading 1.4.1.4. I've only looked at it briefly a couple of times, never really used it.
JamzTheMan wrote:When you download, you get a MapTool-windows64-offline.exe which you run and get the little window with the MT and Launcher icons.
The files I downloaded are MapTool-windows32-1.4.1.3.exe and MapTool-windows32-1.4.1.4.exe, with no "offline" anywhere in the file names.
JamzTheMan wrote: Do you still click this .exe to run MT after installation?

As an FYI, the exe with the RPTools icon is just the installer. It then creates separate MT & Launcher Icons in the start menu under a MapTool folder.
I hadn't realized that, so yeah, I was using the .exes I downloaded. (Bad habit from Mote, I guess.)
JamzTheMan wrote: If you use these icons, do you get the same issue?
When I use those, nothing visible happens. Whichever one I use, I get MapToolWinLauncher.exe showing up under processes in the Task Manager.
JamzTheMan wrote:
Can you zip up the logs directory and email them to me? my gmail is JamzTheMan and MT is installed @ C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\JWrapper-MapTool
On the way.
JamzTheMan wrote:
Lastly, you can try and uninstall MapTool (there is an uninstall icon in your start menu), reboot, then install MT again. Usually, this fixes any issues. I've seen the installer not respond because a previous java process is hung and rebooting kills any hanging java processes (unless you are comfortable doing it manually yourself).
I killed all the MapTool processes in the Task Manager, and got the same results. It seems unlikely I'd get the same corruption on two separate computers at the same time, but I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling when I get home (the reboot isn't practical on the work computer right now).

Also note that I get the errors mentioned when running the Launcher .jar from the Zip file, in addition to the problems with the JWrapper version. And that, too, went from working on 1.4.1.3 to not working on 1.4.1.3 or 1.4.1.4, on two different computers, running different versions on Windows.

My but (and 20 years of IT experience) tells me the first place I'd look (if I knew enough about it to do so) is at this week's Windows Updates, but you obviously have far more knowledge on this than I ever will.

I'll let you know how the uninstall/reinstall goes at home tonight.

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

As a side note, on the computer here at work, the uninstall function in the Start menu does not appear to have done anything (despite taking a long time to not do so). The Start menu entries are still there, as is the JWarpper-Maptool directory in AppdData, and I still get the launcher process in the Task Manager if I click on the shortcut.

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Used the uninstall on the Start menu on the 64 bit box at home, and it did it's job. Rebooted, same thing. The Launcher shortcut puts a Launcher entry into Processes in the Task Manager, but nothing else ever happens. And I still get the same error if I use the launcher .jar from the zip file download.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Ok, thanks for all the info! I did some testing myself and it does seem something went wrong during the build creation of the jars. I was assuming a jWrapper issue but it's not, even manually running the jar files has issues.

I only confirmed the Windows builds have issue but I'm going to assume the Mac & Linux ones have issue as well. Let us get this straighten out and post new versions. It may take a day or so, some devs are sleeping right now. :)
-Jamz

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

For the record, I believe the issue is with the launcher .jar. the MapTool .jar itself works fine for me (on both machines), with default memory settings for Java. The installer seems to work fine, too.

There may also be a separate issue with the launcher .exe , which is what seems to hang in the Task Manager, but it may hang waiting for the launcher .jar or something, I don't know.

Also, for what it's worth, if I drop a copy of the 1.4.0.x launcher .jar into the unzipped folder for 14.1.4, it will pick up that .jar and launch it OK (though I'm not sure about the memory settings in that scenario).

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

1.4.1.5 has just been released by Craig. Tested it here and it works!!!

same release info as 1.4.1.4 except that this version actually executes.

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Mostly good news, a head-scratching moment, and a confusing side point.

First, the 32 bit version worked, but when I clicked on the Launcher button in the installer, I got a message about not being able to find the 1.4.1.4 .jar. The launcher came up, I pointed it to the 1.4.1.5 .jar, and everything was fine.

The uninstaller worked; removed the Start menu entries and the directory in AppData.

Uninstalled 32 bit MapTool, 32 bit Java, reinstalled 64 bit, tried the 64 bit MapTool. Got an error message about "Java version directory is invalid (JAVA_Directory): C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\JWrapper-MapTool\JWrapper-Windows32JRE-00044487641.complete\bin". Clicked through that, and everything looked OK. Definitely on 64 bit versions of both Java and MapTool (I did this twice to make certain, and MapTool comes up with memory settings that would fail on 32 bit).

I suspect this all might have more to do with my computer than with MapTool, and everything looks to be working correctly, but I thought I'd mention it.

The confusing side note is that every time I go to the download page for the dev builds, the first time (and only the first time) I download something, the file name comes up as "Mozilla download.lnk" or something like that. It seems to download the correct file - the file size is identical - but the file name is wrong. After the first time, everything is normal. This is on IE 11.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Thanks for the report!

I'll look into the warning message, it should have found the 1.4.1.5 version, I'll get that fixed.

Scratching my head on the 32->64 bit snafu. That's a test case I didn't run. Once it sets the JRE in the launcher properties I don't think I change it but we should just for this reason. I'll add it to the TODO list.

Not sure about the download issue, probably IE11 being overly protective? I just tested chrome/edge/ie11 on WIndows 10 x64 and the links worked without issue. (this shouldn't be an issue for the stable builds as those will host on rptools.net like normal). Maybe a security setting issue or plugin or some such. <insert rant about IE>. Try Edge and see if you get the same thing.
-Jamz

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

JamzTheMan wrote:Thanks for the report!

I'll look into the warning message, it should have found the 1.4.1.5 version, I'll get that fixed.
That quite possibly is your problem, rather than something weird on my end. I did make certain that the JWrapper-MapTool folder in Appdata was gone each time.
JamzTheMan wrote:Scratching my head on the 32->64 bit snafu. That's a test case I didn't run. Once it sets the JRE in the launcher properties I don't think I change it but we should just for this reason. I'll add it to the TODO list.
Definitely check it, but that feels like it might be something I've caused by flipping back and forth between different versions of MT and Java. I did see it twice, though, and the second time I'm pretty sure everything was clean.
JamzTheMan wrote: Not sure about the download issue, probably IE11 being overly protective?
Or overly stupid. Microsoft hasn't really given a darn about it for a long time.
JamzTheMan wrote: I just tested chrome/edge/ie11 on WIndows 10 x64 and the links worked without issue. (this shouldn't be an issue for the stable builds as those will host on rptools.net like normal). Maybe a security setting issue or plugin or some such. <insert rant about IE>.
Take a number. I'm not entirely sure why I still normally use it. It's not like I don't have Chrome and Firefox installed. Bad habit, I guess.
JamzTheMan wrote: Try Edge and see if you get the same thing.
Not, unfortunately, on Windows 7. The only Win 10 boxes I have access to are at work, and they're things like cash registers, so I'm not inclined, if you know what I mean.

It's not a big issue. As I said, it apparently downloaded the correct file, it just got the file name wrong.

I wonder if the ad blocker could have done it? Seems unlikely, but you never know.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

It looks like we had another small build issue and it should pick up the new jar and jre normally in the next build.
-Jamz

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

This was a fun release. I'm personally jazzed to use Token VBL for my own campaigns! Now there are a LOT of combinations with tokens, different grids, isometric, flipping, rotation, sizing, etc. I did my best on covering all those test cases but if I missed something, let me know!

*Note: Auto-generation of VBL only uses the base image of a token. So Figure tokens that use a table of images is not supported. Or rather, not directly. Hopefully iso tokens with table images are for PC/NPC type tokens and won't require VBL (you can still use it but you only get to store 1 VBL image).

Also a word of caution: Auto-generation of VBL is normally very fast and testing on a gaming PC can handle dozens of complicated VBL shapes this can generate. YMMV. I'd simply any really complicated VBL, like a dead tree with lots of branches/whole or such. So start small and don't go too crazy with Token VBL unless you are sure your system can handle it!
-Jamz

Return to “Announcements”